Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EV mode on a HEV

Marcusthehat

I have been experimenting with using the selectable EV mode, but the inconsictencies in its messages/reasons for not working(like why not simply say "insufficient power is available") and the number of times it bleeps as being unselectable due to low Battery, or quite widely varying excess speed,

yet the "energy" display on the centrally mounted screen will at the same time show the Battery is powering the car, not the ICE.

Huh! Surely that means we are actually running in EV mode?

And, anyway, why is it selectable, surely it should be fully automatic in interests of overall fuel economy?

And what does selecting "Eco" mode achieve, since I can discern zero difference.

Gibber, mutter an twitch.

• Like 1

Yeah I must admit in my Yaris it's probably the least useful button in the car; I think I've gotten it to work maybe twice in the 2 years I've had it??

It seems the Battery has to be over 50% and you can't press the accelerator very hard o be going too fast, but even then because the Battery in the Mk4 Yaris is only about 700 watt-hours (Not kilowatt-hours... watt-hours!) it drops below 50% so quickly it won't stay in EV mode for more than a minute.

It was more useful on the older hybrids as they'd run the Battery to higher levels so you could run them on EV mode for longer, but the new Yaris at least, and I assume the other TNGA platform cars, are obsessively rabid about keeping the battery around 50% charge so the EV mode button almost always reports there being not enough battery.

It's just a gimmick so I just pretend it's not there - It's far easier to make the car go into 'EV mode' in normal mode by lifting the accelerator for a second then re-engaging anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The energy monitor display on the infotainment screen or MID gives a good indication as to which way energy is flowing.

The EV light on the dash illuminates to say that the ICE isn't currently running - in normal hybrid mode the ICE starts and stops as the system wants.

EV mode is an instruction from the driver to the car NOT to run the ICE. And with a traction Battery sized to give an "EV range" measured in yards rather than miles (and then only if it has previously been charged up using the ICE) it is useful only for very short distance manoeuvring. The car won't accept the instruction to go into EV mode if it can't obey that instruction. (So, as we know, it is not very useful.)

According to the owners manual:

Eco drive mode:
Suitable for driving to improve fuel economy by more smoothly generating torque in response to accelerator pedal operations compared to normal mode and restraining air conditioning system operations (heating/cooling).

So, it reduces throttle response and turns down the air con. The driver will subconsciously override the more muted throttle response as needed and won't notice that the aircon is turned down on a mild day ... If the driver normally drives in a gentle and economic way Eco drive mode will make precious little difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use ev mode regularly to reverse up the drive and also occasionally move the car around if it's in the way when I am doing other jobs on the drive.Works more times than not.Find it quite useful.

Terry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, small correction - Eco mode doesn't force the car to run on electrics only; The explicit "EV-mode" button does that (Or, if it was labelled more accurately, the "EV-mode not available" button :laugh: )

Eco mode is just one of the three driving modes, and usually the one I'm in, although ironically just for the extra low-speed control and not because I'm trying to drive the car more economically - It turns out Eco mode will accelerate just as hard as Power mode if you press the pedal hard enough :naughty:

• Like 1

There are some misunderstandings here. Ev button it’s for valet purposes only, to move the parking spot, load or unload on a ramp, start the car to move few meters for example, or perhaps when you have enough power in the Battery can complete your final few hundred yards home. Ev mode selected via ev button it’s not to be used as separate mode to maximise efficiency. In some cases ev mode to work you need to have hvac fan off. 
Eco mode - for slower throttle response, hvac settings limit and that’s pretty much all. Some people like it, some not. I personally use normal mode all the time for most natural feel and quick response. 👍 HEV are not bev or phev therefore trying to maintain longer ev drive not always the best for maximum fuel efficiency. Pulse and glide technique is the best where you mostly accelerate on both ev and ice then continue to coast in ev mode with help of ice when needed. Minimise hard acceleration and sudden slow downs , keep rolling and you will achieve the best economy. 👌👍

• Like 3

Thanks all, since I attempt to "drive smooth" I therefore do not notice any limitations with the Eco mode, which I basically never bother with anyway being happy with the boggo standard driving mode.

With the unseasonably mild weather currently seeing 50-55 mpg on 30 to 40 mile trips on mostly flattish terrain and sitting at 45-50 max. Ah the joys of being retired.

Though the wife's wee 2.0 mile run to Ch. of a Sunday buggers the figures up, plus the 4 mile run to Tesco's and back.

Cheers all,

Marcusthehat.

P.S

I still love the RAV4.

But I should be getting the refurbished and resprayed 1999 Steyr Daimler Puch(its really a G Wagen, but officially imported as a SDP ) van back before Christmas, so my love may well be a little diluted.

• Like 1