Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I go 0W-20 on my MK1

Stecha

I need to change the oil on my late 2008 petrol Aygo, soon. its on just less than 70.000 miles

Opinions on using 0W-20 oil ? I'm worried it might consume a lot of oil or possibly start leaking somewhere

Your thoughts or experiences ?

What benefit are you trying to get ?

A too thin oil will not lubricate better than the one that was meant for this engine.
Altough for the new AygoX they recommend like below..
Check your manual. Use whatever they advice.

1779437448_aygoXoil.thumb.JPG.3ba001eb12e8e6ca0c07b9b4f75c755b.JPG

• Like 2

No - the Optimal Drive engines Toyota introduced in the Aygo from 2009 had engineering improvements to reduce emissions, etc and it was these engines that required 0W-20.

Stick with the manufacturers recommendations for your Aygo, which is 5W-30.

• Like 5

Just stay with 5w30 or 0w30 for your engine thats the oil it was desined to use.

• Like 2

my 11 reg was on it when i got it , rattles like a pig and used alot , using thicker has slowed the use but it still rattles too much

its purley for emissions benefits imo 

• Like 1

Just saw on my bill :  my 2022 Aygo went for it's first oil change ... They put 5w30 on it too.

• Like 1

Toyota dealers does that, but the best practice is to stick with the manufacturer spec and viscosity etc. If the car came from factory with 5w30 just stay with it, if comes with 0w20 best to use 0w20 only. Not a big deal for one oil change especially If the type filled in is compatible but pro long use of different types of engine oil can lead for premature higher oil consumption and worn out parts. This also happens when oil change intervals are neglected. Btw once you have 5w30 filed in instead of 0w20 you may want to replace this oil earlier than usual 10k miles or 12 months. 

• Like 2

Since we have talked about engine oils, let’s see something more about oil filters: 

• Like 2

I do like the way the Toyota oil filters come with the o ring pre greased - makes fitting so much easier.

PXL_20221120_073943259.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, it IS a big relief to know you don't have to put your finger in the old oil for 1 cm and then smutter your oily finger against the ring.

Honestly : I didn't mind at all   😁

But you told me a new thing. I didn't know they came like that.

Before, I used to buy oil filters from different brands but now, since YOUTUBE exists and I saw some guys opening up the cheap ones, I will be very careful what to use... If I weren't addicted to the dealer's servicing and the including warranty + assistance for only 250 euro (last three words are sarcasm or irony).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forkingabout said:

I do like the way the Toyota oil filters come with the o ring pre greased - makes fitting so much easier.

PXL_20221120_073943259.jpg

It's a small trivial thing but I do like little details like that. It shows someone in the company gave a damn about how it would be used in the real world!

It's like how there is usually a little hatch in most Toyotas so you can get at the oil filter and drain plug without having to remove the entire undertray, like you do in most other cars, and also how they tend to place things that need to be serviced regularly in a more accessible place like filters, fluid headers etc.

It's a small thing but saves you a bit of time and annoyance and I really appreciate stuff like that.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links