Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Gearbox Oil Change T27 Avensis Estate 1.8 Petrol


NeilAvensisT
 Share

Recommended Posts

Afternoon and apologies if this has been asked before. The gearchange on my car is the nicest, most precise of any car I think I have ever owned to be fair. Is there a need to change the gearbox oil, or are they this 'sealed for life' idea (never believe in it myself)? Just looking for opinions and if anyone has done it, a walk through please.  Many thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There should be a service schedule for it somewhere; I think it was like 60,000 miles or something like that for most Toyotas?

If your dealer aren't awful, could try calling them as they should know, or at least be able to find out .

It can be a bit risky tho', as I had the gearbox oil changed in my Mk2 and then it failed something like a year later and I can't help wondering if they put the wrong oil in or otherwise messed something up...

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

There should be a service schedule for it somewhere; I think it was like 60,000 miles or something like that for most Toyotas?

If your dealer aren't awful, could try calling them as they should know, or at least be able to find out .

It can be a bit risky tho', as I had the gearbox oil changed in my Mk2 and then it failed something like a year later and I can't help wondering if they put the wrong oil in or otherwise messed something up...

 

i bought genuine toyota gearbox oil from Toyota deller the other day to do mine byt my car is a 2.0d4d one with 51k on it so think its as you say good to 60k but think il do it next year i bought one f those wee pumps that this video of scotty here has 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have heard that if its an auto box you should change the fluid more frequently, but, mine is a manual 6 speed box. With previous older cars I have owned, I have changed the gearbox oil. I did it (for example) on my wife's and sons manual Mini's when they had done about 90k. It was surprising how 'bad' the oil looked coming out. I also did it to my last car, a 2008 X Type Diesel Jag estate, manual box at about 100k. Again, it looked dreadful. Just wondering if anyone has on their Toyota.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Toyota service guy told me that T27 manual gearbox oil change is at 100k (kilometers). I changed mine at 110k and old oil was pretty dark and there wasn't that much oil from factory as there should be. I bought new oil from Toyota dealership.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Toyota usually does not recommend gearbox oil change at any mileage, however they do recommend oil check on most of their models at every 40k miles. You can change the oil if you like at anytime or any mileage over 60k but it is important to only use exact same oil spec, preferably genuine Toyota oil bought from a dealer. Also very important when filling up new oil Not to overfill, more oil in transmission cause more trouble than less oil. Once you have drain the transmission you can measure the old oil quantity and if within the car spec just refill the same amount, minimising the risk of overfilling. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota usually does not recommend gearbox oil change at any mileage, however they do recommend oil check on most of their models at every 40k miles. You can change the oil if you like at anytime or any mileage over 60k but it is important to only use exact same oil spec, preferably genuine Toyota oil bought from a dealer. Also very important when filling up new oil Not to overfill, more oil in transmission cause more trouble than less oil. Once you have drain the transmission you can measure the old oil quantity and if within the car spec just refill the same amount, minimising the risk of overfilling. 👍

There are two filler plugs at T27 manual transmission. Toyota service guy from Toyota dealer told me to open them both and fill oil from top one until oil comes out at lower plug and then oil quantity is right. He even told me that oil quantity can be lower from factory that it should be. Ofcourse car needs to be leveled (not jacked up at front) when refilling transmission.

And that Toyota does not recommend gearbox oil change is nonsense. My last service was bigger (coolant, brakefluid etc.) so I got my car to Toyota dealer to let them to do it and first thing they asked was that have gearbox oil ever changed because it is at service program and I didn't order it.

Edit: Gearbox oil change is in service program here in Finland. I don't know how it goes in other countries.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota usually does not recommend gearbox oil change at any mileage, however they do recommend oil check on most of their models at every 40k miles. You can change the oil if you like at anytime or any mileage over 60k but it is important to only use exact same oil spec, preferably genuine Toyota oil bought from a dealer. Also very important when filling up new oil Not to overfill, more oil in transmission cause more trouble than less oil. Once you have drain the transmission you can measure the old oil quantity and if within the car spec just refill the same amount, minimising the risk of overfilling. 👍

that video i have linked of scotty is good but the problem is what if the gearbox looses oil so migt be less in it how would anyone know is the right amount to put in it .i got my gearbox oil from  genuine Toyota dealer he gave me 3 1l bottles of oil 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

that video i have linked of scotty is good but the problem is what if the gearbox looses oil so migt be less in it how would anyone know is the right amount to put in it .i got my gearbox oil from  genuine Toyota dealer he gave me 3 1l bottles of oil 

You are right. If the gearbox is leaking there will be traces then if the drained oil is not close to the specs 3ltr for example then you may need to look to fix the leaks first and then change the oil.
Measuring the oil out and then filling up the same amount it’s just like extra precaution or extra step let say about doing things right like a pro. 
Sometimes I change the oil then use the old 3x 1ltr bottles to store the old oil and the measurements add up correctly. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

We did this on my old Fiat. Can't say it did much but it definitely had not been done, had to order from a specialist supplier to get the correct stuff, would 100% do the same from Toyota, get it directly and not a 'good as' option (some other brand dealers local to me had admitted to running to the local auto factors for some parts sadly). Can't fault our Toyota dealer yet though. 

Surely over the years micro bits of metal break off inside the gearbox and probably the oil gets less efficient at dispersing heat too, so well worth a change. 

For my 2018 D4D Avensis 6 speed manual they prescribe 'LV Gear Oil API GL-4' - maybe it's the same for yours / same across the range?  Good luck 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SB1500 said:

We did this on my old Fiat. Can't say it did much but it definitely had not been done, had to order from a specialist supplier to get the correct stuff, would 100% do the same from Toyota, get it directly and not a 'good as' option (some other brand dealers local to me had admitted to running to the local auto factors for some parts sadly). Can't fault our Toyota dealer yet though. 

Surely over the years micro bits of metal break off inside the gearbox and probably the oil gets less efficient at dispersing heat too, so well worth a change. 

For my 2018 D4D Avensis 6 speed manual they prescribe 'LV Gear Oil API GL-4' - maybe it's the same for yours / same across the range?  Good luck 

This is the oil I got from donnley and taggert Toyota .genuine stuff for my car Shane Screenshot_20221206-203153.thumb.png.833f6796d52549c930a24c6d65d1537b.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2022 at 8:34 PM, 2009joe said:

This is the oil I got from donnley and taggert Toyota .genuine stuff for my car Shane Screenshot_20221206-203153.thumb.png.833f6796d52549c930a24c6d65d1537b.png

That's the exact stuff I need Joe! 

What price did they charge? 

I was going to ring them tomorrow and check as I've found they're pretty on par with Toyota's eBay store without the delivery fee or wait time. 

I was also, for the fun of it, going to check how much they'd charge to change it - I paid them to do the coolant and brake fluid earlier this year when it was getting the EGR cooler recall about £50 each one. 

Did you change the gear oil yourself, and if so how was it? Any unnecessarily difficult steps?  And did it make a difference to the gear change or just 'good to know it's done' sort of maintenance

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

That's the exact stuff I need Joe! 

What price did they charge? 

I was going to ring them tomorrow and check as I've found they're pretty on par with Toyota's eBay store without the delivery fee or wait time. 

I was also, for the fun of it, going to check how much they'd charge to change it - I paid them to do the coolant and brake fluid earlier this year when it was getting the EGR cooler recall about £50 each one. 

Did you change the gear oil yourself, and if so how was it? Any unnecessarily difficult steps?  And did it make a difference to the gear change or just 'good to know it's done' sort of maintenance

tbh i cant remember how much i paid got 3  bottles and its still here as i have not put  it into my car yet i just didnt get around to it plus my car only got on it 52k  .guess about 60k is good time but i will do it sooner i never asked how much they charge to put it in but id say cant be hard just 2 bolts and loosen the fill one first then empty out whats in the box and fill the exact same amount back in .my car is clean but i want to do gear oil as want to look after the car 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2022 at 10:21 PM, 2009joe said:

tbh i cant remember how much i paid got 3  bottles and its still here as i have not put  it into my car yet i just didnt get around to it plus my car only got on it 52k  .guess about 60k is good time but i will do it sooner i never asked how much they charge to put it in but id say cant be hard just 2 bolts and loosen the fill one first then empty out whats in the box and fill the exact same amount back in .my car is clean but i want to do gear oil as want to look after the car 

I'd say it's not difficult in theory but the access would be hard? And doesn't the car need to be on level ground / not at an angle to get the level right?    I'm going to ring up on Monday and ask to see, if it's £50 or less I'll let them do it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, SB1500 said:

I'd say it's not difficult in theory but the access would be hard? And doesn't the car need to be on level ground / not at an angle to get the level right?    I'm going to ring up on Monday and ask to see, if it's £50 or less I'll let them do it 

Well half thinking if u take out all the oil and measure it and put in the exact oil again new stuff should be fine unless your gearbox is leaking gear oil. I seen that video of Scotty kilmer on YouTube which a wheel is taken off and the plastic trim where engine is that will give you access to the both nuts .but tbh if Toyota  dealer charge £50 might be tempted myself 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

Well half thinking if u take out all the oil and measure it and put in the exact oil again new stuff should be fine unless your gearbox is leaking gear oil. I seen that video of Scotty kilmer on YouTube which a wheel is taken off and the plastic trim where engine is that will give you access to the both nuts .but tbh if Toyota  dealer charge £50 might be tempted myself 

You can just fill until oil starts coming back out the fill hole.  I doubt a dealer will cost £50 or less.  I had an Auris done at a dealer before and the cost was around €100.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Oisin said:

You can just fill until oil starts coming back out the fill hole.  I doubt a dealer will cost £50 or less.  I had an Auris done at a dealer before and the cost was around €100.

well tbh there is no exact amount i can find anywhere that is the right amount if im doing mine im going to just take out whats in mine and put in the same amount exactually .as tbh i dont fancy risking it making a mistake and putting to much oil in there and doing more damage. i watched that scotty youtube video on it and think i might follow his way it seems easy enough and plus it wont matter if the car is jacked up as long as the same amount of  oil goes in but i will make the car level and see if the oil comes out of the top fill hole and see if thats is the right level to go buy. just kina makes me wonder when scotty says put in the same amount that came out. well my car has 52k on the clock so be interesting the colour and smell of it when i change it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership