Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Self Servicing


Bper
 Share

Recommended Posts

For those owners who carry out their own servicing, apart from oil change and filter etc., what other maintenance checks do you carry out to keep your Toyota in good order? How do you prepare before an upcoming MOT?
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Bob, I used to do all my own servicing which I leant from my dad. He had a pit in the garage so we could work underneath. When an MOT was due he would spend hours working under the car . He never had one fail so must have been doing something right.

I don't do much now as Rav 4 is still under warranty. Used to love it when I was younger.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Markyswan said:

Bob, I used to do all my own servicing which I leant from my dad. He had a pit in the garage so we could work underneath. When an MOT was due he would spend hours working under the car . He never had one fail so must have been doing something right.

I don't do much now as Rav 4 is still under warranty. Used to love it when I was younger.

Hi Mark,

I was wondering with all the new technology on these cars how far self service can go.  How would you know if anything needed doing if you can't get full access underneath.

More so with an MOT when needed. Would be interested to know what people do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddiefh said:

Air , pollen , wipers , batteries , tyre depths , 

Hi Eddie,

Are you able to check under the car for any issues coming up to an MOT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would add lights and fluid levels to the list, but worth doing the basics as mentioned above so it doesn't fail on anything silly, I do have a little look underneath to check boots, rubbers, exhaust, leaks etc. as well, luckily still able to crawl under the car.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Other than checking for fuel, oil, brake fluid, tyre pressure and water levels, I no longer open the bonnet for anything else.  I used to do my own servicing around 45 years ago when I was young and skint but the modern engines should be left to qualified engineers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you confident in servicing your own brakes even if its just a mater of sriping them down for a clean regrease the ends & the back with copper grease.

Change pads if less than 2mm of of material left on then push pistons back remove top from brake fluid reservoir bleed system

Grind lip off rotor disk

If its rear drums empty out brake dust grease contact points and handbake cable ends + pivot joint

or oil pivot for handbrake rivit but keep oil a grease off brake shoes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jimota said:

Other than checking for fuel, oil, brake fluid, tyre pressure and water levels, I no longer open the bonnet for anything else.  I used to do my own servicing around 45 years ago when I was young and skint but the modern engines should be left to qualified engineers.

Exactly the same as me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Exactly the same as for 

23 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Exactly the same as me. 

 

Does modern technology really allow easy full maintenance to be carried out. Half the time I can't even figure out how to get to most of the stuff. Just a mass of engine and little room to get at anything.🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

Are you confident in servicing your own brakes even if its just a mater of sriping them down for a clean regrease the ends & the back with copper grease.

Change pads if less than 2mm of of material left on then push pistons back remove top from brake fluid reservoir bleed system

Grind lip off rotor disk

If its rear drums empty out brake dust grease contact points and handbake cable ends + pivot joint

or oil pivot for handbrake rivit but keep oil a grease off brake shoes.

Do many people actually grind the lip off discs these days. I am capable of doing breaks and discs and many other things but TBH only do it if I have to. I think age has caught up and is a lot harder to get motivated to do it.😑

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did my own servicing for years, but I've reached the stage in my life where I am quite happy to pay and have it done.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Big_D said:

I did my own servicing for years, but I've reached the stage in my life where I am quite happy to pay and have it done.

Same here, working on the front street praying it's not going to **** it down before you have finished the job is something i am glad is a distant memory.   

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are most of us Toyota owners of an older generation that have done our self maintenance in our earlier years , brought quality and are now happy to let someone else do our servicing.☺️

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think so, yes. I still dosome mechanical work, but it's usually the easier stuff on an older cab model motorcycle

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Bper said:

Are most of us Toyota owners of an older generation that have done our self maintenance in our earlier years , brought quality and are now happy to let someone else do our servicing.☺️

 

Certainly another one in the described group here.

Regards , John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2022 at 8:43 PM, Bper said:

Hi Mark,

I was wondering with all the new technology on these cars how far self service can go.  How would you know if anything needed doing if you can't get full access underneath.

More so with an MOT when needed. Would be interested to know what people do.

Bob, as the cars still under warranty I don't have to worry to much and don't really have the time to do it anymore. Work and kids take up my time now.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just do checks of fluid levels and air/cabin/battery filter conditions, tyre pressures and easy stuff like that, but am too lazy to do anything more than top up fluid air and change filters, esp. as I don't have proper tools any more!

The motivation is even less on the Mk4 since I have to service it at the dealer to maintain the warranty for the next 5 years at least anyway...

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've found a good garage that could do none warranty stuff like brake pads etc but for the Aygo especially that we think we might keep long term I want the 10 year warranty which means Toyota service.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

I just do checks of fluid levels and air/cabin/battery filter conditions, tyre pressures and easy stuff like that, but am too lazy to do anything more than top up fluid air and change filters, esp. as I don't have proper tools any more!

The motivation is even less on the Mk4 since I have to service it at the dealer to maintain the warranty for the next 5 years at least anyway...

 

Cyker you suprised me, the knowledge you have about toyota cars I thought you were either a toyota technician or owed a toyota garage. As a matter of interest did you learn so much about these cars through working on them yourself over the years.🤔

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Know i'm on borrowed time with DIY servicing, cos my age and also the technology in newer cars, I agree with using dealer servicing to maintain warranty, but as our 2 Peugeots (107 and 108 with Toyota engine) only had 3 years warranty didn't have long to wait and trusting the Toyota mechanicals they just needed routine servicing and are basic simple cars to work on, unlike others. If I had a more complex car, hybrid or EV than I would have a more difficult/easier decision to make regards servicing. Clever move by Toyota with the Relax warranty as worth thinking about for peace of mind and also it keeps customers within the dealer network rather than going elsewhere.

But I know my limits as well some jobs are just too involved/complex for my skill level, tools or time, so for those happy to leave to leave them to my trusted independent garage.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with you Puglet.

Had a Fiat Bravo 2 diesel until earlier this year which I basically left to a trusted local garage for repairs but since going down market and saving myself a fortune on fuel, VED and insurance, find I can still manage basic maintainance myself have taken up the spanners once again.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm noticing that a great deal more people are moving away from self servicing either through age or the complexity of modern cars. Two of my neighbours who regularly carried out there own servicing have now left it to local garage.

I ask why they stopped and one said car to awkward to work on the other getting to old to bother.

I guess many are also not finding lack of spare time anymore.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I have plenty of now is spare time! Even though older can still get down and under a car so may as well save myself money so long as it doesn't involve anything too major or complex of course. Big draw back is the weather not having access to a garage or anywhere under cover. Big bonus is finding a forum with members with a wealth of knowledge to help out when things won't budge or when I'm confused!!🙄

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are 3 jobs i will always do myself over and above the usual fluid checks and none of them require more than a socket set, a hack saw and a oil filter removal tool, plus car ramps of course. They are to replace the oil and filter at 6 months, i know i don't need to but it gives me peace of mind, replace front brake discs and pads, i wouldn't attempt the rear as they are too complex for me nowadays, and finally replace the exhaust backbox.

I have done many far more involved jobs over the years but on much cheaper cars that I was happy to learn on. Car parts nowadays are also generally much better made, i am just about to change the back box on my sons 10yr old Ford fiesta for the first time and it's only the mild steel hanger that rusted out not the backbox itself so i cannot complain about longevity really.

For anyone thinking of using ramps for any undercar work or inspection just be careful with the initial angle of incline because if it is too steep then the front bumper will hit the ramp before the front wheels have reached the ramp😲. I have plastic ramps designed to put under caravan wheels when parked so was able to modify them with a Dremel tool to work.

I do alot of work on motorbikes as well and invested in some quality torque wrenches which are invaluable for knowing that your front wheel isn't going to fall off but if you have a good "feel" for the correct amount of pressure to apply then on cars you can get away without using one.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share






×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership