Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Summer, winter or all season tyres

RHYSF00

Hi all. Looking for advice my car has got dummer tyres on at the moment as those were only available at the time of getting i am unsure if it wirth getting all season tyres. Seem to cant find winter spefic tyres for my car. 

• Like 2

If you get regularly get sub-zero temps and/or snow semi-regularly in winter then I'd say it's be worth getting some all-seasons; Where I am it's not worth it as we get maybe a day or two of snow and it's rare for the temperature to stay sub-zero.

• Like 3

For the last year I've had Michelin Cross Climates on my 2014 Lexus RX.  Far grippier and quieter than the Dunlops which were on when I bought it.  Recommended if you drive on anything other than dry roads.

• Like 2

My experience of Michelin CC is a significantly quieter ride than the originally-fitted summer tyres (Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone). Some people claim that all-season tyres don't absorb the big bumps as well (although they do filter out a lot of the small bumps and road 'buzz' better than summer) but so far I've not found any deterioration in ride quality compared to summer tyres. But I'd guess it depends on what summer/all-season variations you compare, and be aware that it's very easy to accidentally buy tyres with a higher load rating than you need, and the XL (extra load) rated tyres definitely have slightly stiffer sidewalls

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 12:29 PM, SinglePointSafety said:

My experience of Michelin CC is a significantly quieter ride than the originally-fitted summer tyres (Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone). Some people claim that all-season tyres don't absorb the big bumps as well (although they do filter out a lot of the small bumps and road 'buzz' better than summer) but so far I've not found any deterioration in ride quality compared to summer tyres. But I'd guess it depends on what summer/all-season variations you compare, and be aware that it's very easy to accidentally buy tyres with a higher load rating than you need, and the XL (extra load) rated tyres definitely have slightly stiffer sidewalls

at the moment down here it being very icy. so far i not ran into problems on my summer tyes. i dont get a buzz from the tyres. but i do keep them at 32 every week. there are a few XL i can get for fifi. but really looking for advice

I’ve summer and winter , the winters are budget but definitely helped today, last year couldn’t get out of my village due to a steep hill this year similar conditions drove up no problem on winter tyres . 

• Like 2

You are in Devon, you know the weather condition there. Does the smaller country roads get gritted with salt, do you normally drive on untreated roads? 

Been to Devon multiple times though mainly in the summer. All season is a good consideration. If you have the space for storage then a set of wheels with  winter tyres would be what I would opt for; need to be able to swapped the tyres over yourself to save money. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

I’ve summer and winter , the winters are budget but definitely helped today, last year couldn’t get out of my village due to a steep hill this year similar conditions drove up no problem on winter tyres . 

Good job, that's the best option winters and summer residing in areas like yours. 

https://news.sky.com/video/uk-weather-drivers-in-gloucestershire-struggle-in-snow-12766907

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Good job, that's the best option winters and summer residing in areas like yours. 

https://news.sky.com/video/uk-weather-drivers-in-gloucestershire-struggle-in-snow-12766907

Here the thing. I cant get winter tyres only summer or a few sll season. I dont know if it worth 200gbp

• Like 2

Then it's all season, u may want to ride out this winter to see how your car is handling on summer tyres. I implode u to not drive if the roads has surface ice, I almost slid into parked cars many years ago on an icy road. Lesson learnt, I do not drive when there is surface ice on summer tyres anymore. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

You are in Devon, you know the weather condition there. Does the smaller country roads get gritted with salt, do you normally drive on untreated roads? 

Been to Devon multiple times though mainly in the summer. All season is a good consideration. If you have the space for storage then a set of wheels with  winter tyres would be what I would opt for; need to be able to swapped the tyres over yourself to save money. 

Just seen this. 

Only main roads are gritted. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Then it's all season, u may want to ride out this winter to see how your car is handling on summer tyres. I implode u to not drive if the roads has surface ice, I almost slid into parked cars many years ago on an icy road. Lesson learnt, I do not drive when there is surface ice on summer tyres anymore. 

I didn't have a choice one evening. Late finish had to drive home

• Like 2

Spending 200 pounds more can seem a lot to someone starting out with a first car? But your safety is worth the investment. Without the proper tyres, even at very slow speed your car can slide into the hedges/wall/parked cars or worse, opposite cars. 

• Like 4

Do winter tyres really make a big difference in handling on snow and ice?

I am asking as a straightforward question, not rhetorical, as I have never had any on a car to my knowledge.

Long ago here in sunny Lincolnshire we used to have many disused airfields left over from WW2 ,at that time they were accessible to all.

And were very useful for practicing in snow, to see exactly what the limits of grip were on a car in those conditions, braking and accelerating, and sideways.

I had some pretty rough old bangers at the time, and some had an eclectic mix of tyres on them, different makes,tread patterns, and even radial and cross ply sometimes.

You could get up to realistic road speeds on those old empty airfields in complete safety, nothing on them to crash into.

So I do recognise the importance of good tyres now, but can't help thinking that winter tyres would not be worth the expense and bother of swapping them about for me, and having nowhere to store the others.

But of course, I also recognise that there are 3 or 4 times as many cars on the road now, and that nearly all of them are far too close to each other, so it's probably worth it for drivers who are commuting daily necessarily in order to work.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Spending 200 pounds more can seem a lot to someone starting out with a first car? But your safety is worth the investment. Without the proper tyres, even at very slow speed your car can slide into the hedges/wall/parked cars or worse, opposite cars. 

How you know it my 1st lol. 

I been lucky. 

9 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Do winter tyres really make a big difference in handling on snow and ice?

I am asking as a straightforward question, not rhetorical, as I have never had any on a car to my knowledge.

Long ago here in sunny Lincolnshire we used to have many disused airfields left over from WW2 ,at that time they were accessible to all.

And were very useful for practicing in snow, to see exactly what the limits of grip were on a car in those conditions, braking and accelerating, and sideways.

I had some pretty rough old bangers at the time, and some had an eclectic mix of tyres on them, different makes,tread patterns, and even radial and cross ply sometimes.

You could get up to realistic road speeds on those old empty airfields in complete safety, nothing on them to crash into.

So I do recognise the importance of good tyres now, but can't help thinking that winter tyres would not be worth the expense and bother of swapping them about for me, and having nowhere to store the others.

But of course, I also recognise that there are 3 or 4 times as many cars on the road now, and that nearly all of them are far too close to each other, so it's probably worth it for drivers who are commuting daily necessarily in order to work.

Honestly not sure. I know the yread is different as i looked on google images. Seems like winter is more angled to move sludge

1 minute ago, Mojo1010 said:

Watch this Tyre testing

Rhys, I think you mentioned it in another thread getting your corolla. 

Ok fair enough 

Well, I'd say safety first Rhys, and if you can't stay on your feet on the road, then probably your car can't either.

I have the luxury of staying home in bad conditions mostly as am retired, but realise that travel is a necessity for some,who I sincerely hope stay safe.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Well, I'd say safety first Rhys, and if you can't stay on your feet on the road, then probably your car can't either.

I have the luxury of staying home in bad conditions mostly as am retired, but realise that travel is a necessity for some,who I sincerely hope stay safe.

Yeah i was tempted to leave car at work and walk home. I dont live far but it just the cold weather. I alwsys check road and car condition before setting off

On 11/15/2022 at 10:49 PM, RHYSF00 said:

Hi all. Looking for advice my car has got dummer tyres on at the moment as those were only available at the time of getting i am unsure if it wirth getting all season tyres. Seem to cant find winter spefic tyres for my car. 

You need to determine how important it is for you to be able to get a bit better grip in the snow vs faster cornering in the summer. Are you depending on being able to drive all days of the year? Are you going to areas where winter/all season are a requirement?

I just replaced barely used Micheline Primacy 3 tyres and put on brand new Michelin CC2's today. Luckily it was snowing today so I could do a direct, before and after comparison. Huge difference in grip on the snow. I will not keep the summer tyres even though there's more than 5 mm left. Only because I know the CrossClimate's are good any time of the year and I cannot be bothered to store yet another set of wheels. That said, if it wasn't for the fact that I travel abroad where I will need these tyres, I might not have got the CrossClimate's. But then I'm not dependant on being able to drive to or for work.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, APS said:

You need to determine how important it is for you to be able to get a bit better grip in the snow vs faster cornering in the summer. Are you depending on being able to drive all days of the year? Are you going to areas where winter/all season are a requirement?

I just replaced barely used Micheline Primacy 3 tyres and put on brand new Michelin CC2's today. Luckily it was snowing today so I could do a direct, before and after comparison. Huge difference in grip on the snow. I will not keep the summer tyres even though there's more than 5 mm left. Only because I know the CrossClimate's are good any time of the year and I cannot be bothered to store yet another set of wheels. That said, if it wasn't for the fact that I travel abroad where I will need these tyres, I might not have got the CrossClimate's. But then I'm not dependant on being able to drive to or for work.

I think my work may require all sessions. But faster corning i love.

• Like 1

Actual Winter tyres are amazing on snow and ice - The level of grip they provide is frankly amazing on surfaces that you'd find it hard to walk on! :laugh: 

If we had a lot of snow regularly all winter I'd definitely get some, but as it's so rare here I just can't bring myself to do it, esp. as summer tyres tend to perform better in the dry and wet than winter tyres, and that is far more common here, even in winter.

All-seasons are very much a piggy in the middle; They're worse than summer tyres in summer and worse than a real winter tyre in winter... but in summer they won't melt when the road surface is 40+ degrees, and in winter they will stop you sliding into a bush very very slowly (Which is honestly the worst thing about summer tyres on snow - When you suddenly realize you've lost all traction and are sliding very very gently towards a bollard or something at 5mph, with the growing feeling of horror as all the frantic steering, braking, throwing it into reverse etc. makes sod all difference and you very slowly crash into said bollard, getting a nomination for the world's slowest crash... which has absolutely never happened to me. No sirree :whistling1:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

Actual Winter tyres are amazing on snow and ice - The level of grip they provide is frankly amazing on surfaces that you'd find it hard to walk on! :laugh: 

If we had a lot of snow regularly all winter I'd definitely get some, but as it's so rare here I just can't bring myself to do it, esp. as summer tyres tend to perform better in the dry and wet than winter tyres, and that is far more common here, even in winter.

All-seasons are very much a piggy in the middle; They're worse than summer tyres in summer and worse than a real winter tyre in winter... but in summer they won't melt when the road surface is 40+ degrees, and in winter they will stop you sliding into a bush very very slowly (Which is honestly the worst thing about summer tyres on snow - When you suddenly realize you've lost all traction and are sliding very very gently towards a bollard or something at 5mph, with the growing feeling of horror as all the frantic steering, braking, throwing it into reverse etc. makes sod all difference and you very slowly crash into said bollard, getting a nomination for the world's slowest crash... which has absolutely never happened to me. No sirree :whistling1:)

Found out i can get winter tyres. Only at HalfordsScreenshot_20221212_214610_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3467760e9a0f93d4c19c2d047c704aad.jpg

You probably already know, with winters you would need to get a set of steel wheels to go with it. Cost wise it's probably not worth it if you don't plan to keep the car for at least 3-4 years. I would suggest just get all season tyres in your position.