Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space Saver Wheel Kit

Hi. Am picking up a Corolla 1.8 GR Sport hatch at the weekend. Enquired after a spare wheel kit via parts dept, am told that Toyota will not sell the necessary parts to fit it aftermarket you can only spec it on new build. Has anyone had this experience as it seems strange. Managed to get all the parts to fit it to my current CH-R. Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I bought most of the required parts, new, from eBay and some from the main dealer. I also bought the two polystyrene parts that surround the spacesaver but no picture. There was one part I needed, a small piece of trim. On eBay a breaker wanted £49, second hand with a broken clip. I bought the whole thing from a main dealer, including clips for £10!

IMG_20220513_130804.jpg

IMG_20220513_130942.jpg

IMG_20220513_131334.jpg

IMG_20220513_131347.jpg

IMG_20220513_132323.jpg

IMG_20220513_135348.jpg

IMG_20220513_144252.jpg

IMG_20220513_150046.jpg

Edited by 50p
added text
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, simond64 said:

can’t get spare for my23 2l TS, just not an option

If it has a panoramic roof, the increased weight of having a spare wheel may affect the emissions rating ..... so may be the reason this isn't an option.

• Like 3

I know a work colleague recently ordered a 23 MY 1.8 Design TS with the factory fit optional spare wheel for his company vehicle.

Maybe it's a case of the dealer parts person just can't be bothered.

Thanks for all the replys. Parts issues seems logical. The images of the boot area for the panoramic  roof look totally different so guess the Shell is different. 

The parts info i got was from the dealer i use for service, buy the car elsewhere so will ask there. 

Thanks again.👍👍

Its probably down to weight/emmisions value with having a pamaramic roof.

If you change it to a spare wheel (spacesaver) type check first with your insurer just incase its an issue if you make a insurance claim.

This is the best extra in Corolla hatchback not only because gives you an extra security if you have a puncture, but also because the installation kit rises the floor and rear seats can fold completely flat making the small hatchback as practical as small estate. Must have addition to any Corolla hatchback that comes without one. Good job  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Its probably down to weight/emissions value with having a panoramic roof.

please excuse my ignorance but how does the extra weight, by having a space saver, affect the emissions? The emissions check at MOT time is just a probe up the exhaust pipe, so surely the weight makes no difference?

19 minutes ago, 50p said:

please excuse my ignorance but how does the extra weight, by having a space saver, affect the emissions? The emissions check at MOT time is just a probe up the exhaust pipe, so surely the weight makes no difference?

Perhaps emissions test when the car gets approval are very different from mot probes. Any gram in that case matters. After purchase anyone can add extra spare wheel if the space allows. 

• Like 3

Any option that adds weight or resistance has to be separately tested for CO2 emissions, but not if fitted after registration. There is a tolerance allowed, perhaps the space saver & the pan roof is over that.  The insurance would not have an issue unless you exceeded the Gross Vehicle Weight.

I remember when I ordered my 1.8 Design hatch in Feb, it was the same cost for the TRK model and the spare wheel model, the spare wheel model had higher emissions.

For us needing the extra space in the boot (not huge even with the TRK) the spare was not an option.

• Like 2

You may be able to pick out the bits you need (guessing ... wheel, mount, tray, jack .... ?) from Toyota store on Ebay:

ToyotaOfficialStore | eBay Stores .

I bought genuine mudflaps, door shut protectors and rear bumper protector from them - all came promptly at good prices.

If in doubt about parts required - ask them - they were helpful to me as I was unsure which mudflaps to order.

On 11/16/2022 at 10:44 PM, simond64 said:

Spare wheel was in my my22 2l gr sport hb, however, can’t get spare for my23 2l TS, just not an option, I don’t think Toyota listen to their customers requests 

I think you can just drop a 16 inch full size winter tire there. It is completely flat with 16 inch wheel.  I used my winter wheel as a spare wheel in summer vacation. The weight of full size wheel is small compared to our luggages. 

In winter, i rarely go far beyond civilization area.