Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross Connected satnav logging in as guest

Impith

I have observed ‘interesting’ behaviour of the connected satnav system.

When I first got the car, I regularly got a ‘No Connection’ error message, but I almost never see that now – I am only likely to encounter it in areas where there genuinely is no mobile network available, so I presume Toyota have increased the server power at the back end. So this is not that problem. 

The behaviour I am seeing is

• It makes a connection and appears to log me in. I can set a route and start receiving directions.
  • After about two or three minutes it displays a screen prompting me to accept terms and conditions. I do so, and I am then logged in as a guest. My destination and route have gone. Any favourites or recent destinations used by the initial login have gone, but the guest gets its own set of favourites.
  • Sometimes (only sometimes!) it then logs me in again as myself and I have full connected services. However, the route I set initially is not active, despite it appearing to be the same account.

An interesting feature is that the next time I start the car, it will offer to continue the route created previously.  This indicates the first and third ‘login sessions’ don’t appear to be the same account.

Has anybody seen this behaviour? Any ideas? Neither the dealer nor Toyota seem to have the faintest idea what is causing it.

I will say I have turned services off and on again, removed my car and added it again. I’m loath to actually delete my account and create a new one using another email, because the dealer suggested that I might then lose access to the services since it might not recognise me as the first owner. I suspect they are just playing it safe there, but obviously I don’t want to go against their advice.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't log in, but I do get the very frustrating loss of route. You have set a route up and stop for a rest, you start the car and it says resume route, then you have to accept terms and conditions and it just loses the route that was there a second ago. Can Toyota fix this and allow it to remember routes through the accept terms and conditions?

The whole system is rather sensitive to loss of connectivity. I only use Apple CarPlay now, which beyond any connectivity issues is a much better user experience overall. However, once you get into the wilds, with no network coverage you can still end up with no navigation. So I have Mapy.cz with offline maps as a backup. Whilst a little basic it is better than nothing in these scenarios.

First question Yes

Second question, I got the dealer to check my phone connection.  His fingers solved the problem faster than I could follow. 

I have a WiFi link in my garage which seems to help too. 

Well, I have an update on what I am seeing.  I had raised this back in September directly with Toyota since the dealer themselves could only raise it with Toyota, and were not getting any response. In December I got an email from Toyota support saying they were going to replace the head unit, and that would fix the problem.  I must say I was a bit surprised because it didn't *seem* like a hardware issue, but they know their systems. 

I got the replacement unit at the start of this week. Every journey since then I used the satnav, and every route completed successfully. Tonight I noticed there was an updated firmware that was considerably newer than the one on the replacement unit. I decided to install it. Big mistake. My first journey and the satnav logged me out and lost the route.

So I'm pretty convinced it is a firmware/software issue, even if Toyota themselves aren't. 

• Sad 2

They suggested the same when I raised it with the online team last year. I challenged them on the diagnosis and then they came back saying it was an issue with the network provider.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links