Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost of maintenance

haelewyn

Was surprised my first maintenance (not a lot of work done) on the car had to cost 250 euro.
That was 160 last year. I remember I asked before I bought the car.

Did the 1 year assistance and 10 year warranty influence my bill so much ? 

Any examples of you guys ? What do you pay for basic maintenance ?

I bought my new Aygo X this year and see my local dealer charges £220 for an intermediate service (around €252) and £320 for a major service. I am not convinced a lot is done other than plug the car into a computer for it to check what may need attention, change the oil and kick the tyres. A friend and I discussed this subject last week, he has bought a new Jaguar FPace, his business is such that he can do his own servicing and most repairs and tells me little is involved in these “mandatory” services.

Fortunately Toyota gave me a special deal to reduce the servicing costs for three years - I pay £160 each year. With my first car, a Triumph Herald, I did my own servicing. It was straightforward. We seem to be in an era though where many are no longer attending to simple jobs around the house.  I listened to a discussion on the radio yesterday on this subject. It is surprising how many pay for somebody to bleed their radiators and the interviewer knew nothing about the need to do that!

• Like 4

Did your dealer not give you a breakdown of the costs , oil, filter etc and a print out of itemised items including the labour charge and computer checked report.

Regarding the era of many no longer attending to simple jobs around the house, it is a sad fact that the generations have been brought up not being taught basics of home maintenance including cooking etc. They will no doubt realise that it will be costing them a fortune in the future having to call someone out to do what we consider the everyday basics. And there will not be an app to put air in there tyre's 😅

• Like 3

On our similar 107 and 108 I do the basic servicing myself, mainly because I like to know quality of parts used and what been done, and it quite enjoyable task helped by the fact the ickle Toyota engine 1.0 is easy to work on for access and minimal tools required due to helpful design. Even compared to the very simple engines of yesteryear, this still one the easiest and strightforward engines I worked on, so ideal to learn basic servicing tasks on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bper said:

Did your dealer not give you a breakdown of the costs , oil, filter etc and a print out of itemised items including the labour charge and computer checked report.

They did mention the details. No computer check report though.

The details didn't change the total amount of the bill of course which seems to be more than 50 percent higher than last year..   🙂

I saw they changed the interior filter and this is planned yearly.
Maybe a version without aircon would save a bit on the bill then 🙂

Car service never been a clear process. Always been a shoddy job with so many questions to be asked. First service include nothing but new oil and oil filter. Few checks ( visual inspections) that’s it. All makes, all models. But if you want to have warranty, you have no option. Those who believe that can service the car in independent or themselves and make successful claim afterwards, well good luck with it🤞.  

• Like 2

The one aspect you have to add in is the one year or 10,000 mile warranty added at each service which is something not included in the service by the little man down the road.

Warranty.. of which the first three years are always there..

Just if you go to the little man down the road they will make a problem at toyota dealers to solve your warranty issue.

An other thing : I said I wanted to have the clutch checked because of extremely high biting point..

The technician agreed it isnt completely ok like it is and proposed to do a one hour extra job on it (I guess I would have to pay) but I declined and said they can do it in two months when I turn in the aygo for the aygo X.

The clutch has always been like this so if something wrong, it should be a warranty issue.

They agree they can do the clutch pedal finetuning in a few months.. so not so urgent ? It's a bit contradictory. 

I have been reading complaints about high clutch grip on aygo X too although I could have sworn it worked better and differently on the test car..

As I have alluded to before, I suspect the ability of many in the dealers having the ability to do some of the tasks that can’t be diagnosed or sorted by plugging in their computer. A friend fits tow bars. He often has main dealers sending their cars to him to fit the tow bar because they lack the expertise. They then add an exorbitant amount on the bill to their customer for not doing the work!

A worse scenario was a lady with a brand new Ford. She turned up at my friends saying she ordered the new car with a tow bar fitted. She found the Battery in the caravan is not being charged properly. She has had it back to her dealer a couple of times and they cannot work out why. Ford sent an expert up to look at it who said it can’t be done. My friend put it right for her in ten minutes. The dealer did though pay the bill!!  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Warranty.. of which the first three years are always there..

Just if you go to the little man down the road they will make a problem at toyota dealers to solve your warranty issue.

An other thing : I said I wanted to have the clutch checked because of extremely high biting point..

The technician agreed it isnt completely ok like it is and proposed to do a one hour extra job on it (I guess I would have to pay) but I declined and said they can do it in two months when I turn in the aygo for the aygo X.

The clutch has always been like this so if something wrong, it should be a warranty issue.

They agree they can do the clutch pedal finetuning in a few months.. so not so urgent ? It's a bit contradictory. 

I have been reading complaints about high clutch grip on aygo X too although I could have sworn it worked better and differently on the test car..

From reading responses to threads in these forums it appears that a high bite point is quite normal for the Aygo, that said it has not been an issue for me.

• Like 3

I agree. Bit when the biting point is a bit too aygo's case, it would be on the edge of constantly slipping.

I don't feel the clutch slipping but it's bite point is really on the edge and I doubt that it has the free play it should have.

The technician doubted that too.

Just don't know if rectifieing the situation has to take an other working hour..

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links