Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone know why my touch up paint pen has gone this colour instead of black?

Mike 2121

The paint pen is nearly 3 years old, can't see an expiry date, I've made it worse, it was only alittle rust chip. I did it this morning when it was just above freezing as the weather said it wouldn't rain for awhile.

Could i go over it with the black tcut when its dry and then put the clear coat on ?🤔

IMG_20221119_130839199_HDR.jpg

I don't know what the answer is to your black paint question, but if you wanted to remove touch-up paint entirely, then you could use cellulose thinners (250ml tin from a motor factors/Halfords) or isopropanol (aka isopropyl alcohol, chemists or eBay). 

The cellulose thinners is an powerful solvent and noxious, so care is needed.  The isopropyl much less so - used for general degreasing, it's also anti viral/bacterial, and was formerly used in surgery just prior to having an injection.  Useful stuff to have around.

Hi Mike ,

You can use thinners but you have to make sure you mask off the paintwork around the chip. It's difficult to know from the photo if the chip went through to the bare metalwork.

You can use various high grit sandpaper's to remove the old chip paint you put on . If the chip has not gone through to the bare metal and just the primer, Halfords do a 2 pen touch up which comprises of a primer and topcoat. 

The touch up pen comes with a fine grit top that you can use to rub down the primer should you need it. Generally when usIng primer touch up it tends to leave high spots that require leveling as you will see high spots.

If the primer is ok after you remove the old touch up then clean the chip. Mask off the chip area and apply only the topcoat with the small brush supplied. Once dried you can polish it. The touch ups are great for small chips and if careful when applying the topcoat you can't see them unless up close. The bigger ones take patients and depending on how the overall paintwork is along with the age condition etc.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Probably because of been not shaken up well prior to applying, your colour is metallic which likely has some other colour mixed in and as a result this has happened. Usually solid colours are much easier to touch up repairs. You can mask the area well, use sandpaper pad to remove the paint and apply again., perhaps buy another paint but not marker and just in small bottle with applicator brush. Remember these things should be done in summer time when temperatures are well over 15-20C° otherwise working outside in cold never equals good results. Perhaps just leave it like that until spring. Sometimes small chips are better left untreated and they won’t rust at all as long as the grey primer it’s not damaged. 👍

• Like 2

That was my guess too, that the paint had settled and separated over time. Had that happen with the paint stick for my old old Fiesta, but luckily it was in a clear bottle to I could see what happened. I had to shake it for ages to get it to mix properly again!!

• Like 1

Cheers, but i had to do the chip now because it was rusty, couldn't wait until the spring 

So i presume using a tiny bit of black tcut wouldn't work, it would be alot easier just two minutes lol. None of us have time to do this as we are all too busy working 

it's a metallic, in may have been a 2-3 pen kit, with a base coat and clear or ground coat, base coat and a clear

Also its best to keep your touch up kits indoors in the winter months. otherwise it is difficult to gat a consistent mix when you shake it as it goes thick with the cold.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links