Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Disconnecting battery for long storage

Zvi

The Kia, and no doubt others, have a switch (?) to allow the HV Battery to solve the LV issue.  I won't guess what it is. 

Don't know why Toyota does not have a similar solution. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Can you toast cake? 

According to Red Dwarf, Talkie the Toaster would happily toast you a toasted teacake if you tell it you want toast...

One more suggestion.  I collected my lawnmower this afternoon.  Its main problem was water on the fuel.  The connection? 

I had been using the cheaper E10 petrol.  As consumption is not high so the fuel csn become degraded.  With E5 it runs a treat. 

So, before laying your car up consider filling with E5.  If you also have petrol in a can don't automatically fill to max.  A couple of litres for mower or car should be fine.  With your Hybrid that should give you 25 miles. 

• Like 3

In that case is it better then to leave the tank almost empty with very little amount of E5 99 petrol, then on return, start the car and go straight to a petrol station to refill with fresh E5.. 

Or even that Esso E5 that doesn't apparently have any ethanol in it! :laugh: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

When was the petrol crisis last year tried this esso 99 and its fine but not better than any other e5 99 or at least doesn’t feel different like when you switch from e10 to e5. 

It wasn't for performance reasons, but rather there was less chance the ethanol and any moisture that had somehow gotten in would settle out over time, on account of there not being any in it!

If you pull your HV down and its already low to charge the LV Battery then the HV is to low to start the car its now a recovery job by the AA to Toyota to recharge the HV system.

Of course if HV is full no reason why its not built in with a low warning HV  to Low maybe on the next upgrade.

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

All petrol stations receive their fuel from the same local refineries. The only difference between brands is the additive pack the delivery driver inserts into the tank upon delivery. E5 and E10 merely indicate the fuel MAY contain up to 5% or 10% ethanol. There was a time when E5 contained no ethanol from certain refineries. You can measure the amount of ethanol contained by taking a measured quantity, adding a measured amount of water, thoroughly mixing and measuring the result. It's all there on the internet.

Because I do few miles and tend to fill the tank when it's nearly empty I opt to only use E5.

• Like 1

It's Esso that say their E5 has no ethanol in it (except in certain locations, presumably where the ethanol is pre-mixed at the refinery)

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's Esso that say their E5 has no ethanol in it (except in certain locations, presumably where the ethanol is pre-mixed at the refinery)

Can you state the source of that information please?

17 hours ago, Cyker said:

This is correct, I have read it on Esso's wed site.

• Like 3

Shell today had E10 at £1.599 and E5 at £1.669.  In contrast diesel was £1.859.

So far too early to tell if it makes any difference as I still have 50% E10 

• Like 1

Just to clear up the Esso and ethanol question, I emailed Esso and got this reply:

Thank you for contacting Esso Customer Care and for your interest in our Esso Synergy Supreme+ petrol.

Esso Synergy Supreme+ petrol has up to 5% ethanol in North of England, North Wales, Scotland, Devon and Cornwall. 

In other areas of the UK, Esso Synergy Supreme+ petrol may be ethanol free at Esso branded petrol filling stations that are normally supplied directly from an Esso terminal.

If you wish to know your closest Esso branded petrol filling station that is normally supplied directly from an Esso terminal with ethanol free Esso Synergy Supreme+ petrol please provide us with your postcode.

No guarantee is made that Esso Synergy Supreme+ petrol sold at these sites will be ethanol free at all times

• Thanks 1

It literally says all that on their website on the link I posted...

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

It literally says all that on their website on the link I posted...

Not quite, there's a few mealy-mouthed words there as a cop-out:

may be ethanol free

normally supplied directly from an Esso terminal

No guarantee is made that Esso Synergy Supreme+ petrol sold at these sites will be ethanol free at all times

2 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Not quite, there's a few mealy-mouthed words there as a cop-out:

may be ethanol free

normally supplied directly from an Esso terminal

Seriously?

If it says E5 then it may contain up to 5 of the Es. It's not mealy-mouthed, it's reality.

A decade or so back I used to keep a backup store of petrol and diesel in cans and added a stabilizer to keep the petrol in decent condition. I'm sure there must be such products to deal with more modern E fuels, so if you have a long term storage concern use one of those.

For me it doesn’t really matter if there are 5 or 10 % ethanol or anything in at all. I just fill up and make my judgement how the car drives and by the next day or two my tank will be empty and I will need to refuel again. If the car drives nice, engine is smooth, responsive and efficient I am happy. We need to leave our cars for months before the petrol goes bad and any water forms if any at all.
Btw because I put myself often under the car to make my hands dirty I can tell you that even during the hot summers under the car where the tank is always a different temperature, therefore the tanks are kind of isolated from direct sunlight and temperature margins in comparison with the rest of the body., no need to worry about water condensation inside tank which is always in dark and cold plus it’s made of plastic with lower thermal conductivity. Fuel is always cold. 👍

• Like 1

For me, the difference between E5 and E10 is very noticeable.
With the E5, the car runs quietly and has more power - especially at high revs.

• Thanks 1

Well my plan to use E5 went out the window this morning. 

On Monday, Shell E10 was 159.9 and E5 166.9 so well within the possible 10% +/- benefit. 

Today, Shell E10 was 152.9 and E5 1.859

• Like 1

Saturday, same Shell garage 153.9.

Today, two Shell garages with no E5 and reduced number of pumps with E10 and fewer with Diesel 

• Like 1

The 5% and 10% are maximum amouts allowed by law, in winter refineries probably add less ethanol in the colder months.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links