Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Connected satnav logging in as guest

Impith

Posted this originally in the Yaris Cross forum but had no response so I hope you don't mind if I widen the net in the technical area. 

I have observed ‘interesting’ behaviour of the connected satnav system.

When I first got the car, I regularly got a ‘No Connection’ error message, but I almost never see that now – I am only likely to encounter it in areas where there genuinely is no mobile network available, so I presume Toyota have increased the server power at the back end. So this is not that problem. 

The behaviour I am seeing is

• It makes a connection and appears to log me in. I can set a route and start receiving directions.
  • After about two or three minutes it displays a screen prompting me to accept terms and conditions. I do so, and I am then logged in as a guest. My destination and route have gone. Any favourites or recent destinations used by the initial login have gone, but the guest gets its own set of favourites.
  • Sometimes (only sometimes!) it then logs me in again as myself and I have full connected services. However, the route I set initially is not active, despite it appearing to be the same account.

An interesting feature is that the next time I start the car, it will offer to continue the route created previously.  This indicates the first and third ‘login sessions’ don’t appear to be the same account.

Has anybody seen this behaviour? Any ideas? Neither the dealer nor Toyota seem to have the faintest idea what is causing it.

I will say I have turned services off and on again, removed my car and added it again. I’m loath to actually delete my account and create a new one using another email, because the dealer suggested that I might then lose access to the services since it might not recognise me as the first owner. I suspect they are just playing it safe there, but obviously I don’t want to go against their advice.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas?

Steve, short answer, yes.

Toyota tell me that there should be an update to sort the Connected issue you mention.

As you say, you get it, it logs you in as Guest, you enter the details off you go, and it then connects and logs you in as Steve.  Your Guest destination has gone.  Likewise stored destinations are recorded as Guest or Steve and you have to enter them under each.

PS, I did see your original but I got distracted

So I'm not alone! Nice to know, although I wouldn't wish it on anyone since it makes the satnav pretty much unfit for purpose as a satnav. 

Interestingly the first reply I got from Toyota Customer Services was along the lines of "We thought we had fixed that - are you still seeing it?" (To which I mentally replied "Yes - why would I have raised it otherwise?" 🙂)