Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Purchasing space saver tyre

George22

24 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

It would appear that you can add roof bars, roof box, cycle carriers etc because they are classed as “accessories” the space saver is not an accessory.

If my recollection of our conversation is correct then I think he said something about ordering it as an accessory. That may not be something that Joe Q. Public can do but I have no doubt that there are many ways that parts/stores managers can, and do, "game the system"[*] to get the results that they need.

[*] By that I mean working around limitations or problems. Not cheating or anything improper. No, sir. Not that. They would not do that. They are too professional.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 4:19 PM, Strangely Brown said:

I don't mind at all but I will not say the price until the whole thing has worked through. It was low enough that it took me by surprise - in a good way - and it wasn't actually a "quote" but more statement like, "They usually work out at around £xxx all in."

If it all pans out and the wheel, insert and tools turn up when he said and at around the price he said I will post pictures of it in place in the car and details of the part numbers etc for others to follow suit should they so desire.

I will go as far as to say that the price he suggested was less than the third-party aftermarket options that have been mentioned here. That said, I could have mis-heard so I do not want to be specific in case I was wrong or maybe misunderstood.

ETA: The price is of little concern to me - within reason - as I would rather have an OE spare than aftermarket and its better than the bottle of goop. The cost is/will be worth it to me.

Many thanks. 

On 11/26/2022 at 5:07 PM, Rigsby said:

The VIN number prevented them from ordering the parts because it recognised the vehicle as having the panoramic roof and that it would affect the emissions.

Did you ask if you were allowed to carry more than one passenger at a time? As that would also affect the emissions…

1 hour ago, Dippy said:

Did you ask if you were allowed to carry more than one passenger at a time? As that would also affect the emissions…

Actually, I jokingly did and was told as long as you don’t overload the car you can carry whatever you want, add whatever accessories you want.

However the emissions are based on the vehicle weight as supplied by Toyota, the extra weight of the panoramic roof is offset by the removal of the space saver wheel / tools.

Because the SS isn’t classed as an accessory, the dealership can’t / wont supply one as it would technically increase the weight of the base vehicles.

I told the dealer the I am going to buy one myself, he told me that absolutely fine but they can’t be seen to supply it, I know it sounds ridiculous but I’m not the only one to come across this.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/148423/why-won-t-the-dealer-spec-both-a-sunroof-and-spare-wheel-on-the-same-car-

A7733E46-83EA-4EED-8DE5-5CD950E664DA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adding a spare wheel adds to the "mass in service" / kerb weight.

Adding passengers and luggage adds to the "maximum permissible mass / gross weight. Technically we should weigh our passengers and their luggage to ensure that we stay within bounds ... 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

Adding a spare wheel adds to the "mass in service" / kerb weight.

Adding passengers and luggage adds to the "maximum permissible mass / gross weight. Technically we should weigh our passengers and their luggage to ensure that we stay within bounds ... 😉

Sounds like the early days of flying 😇

• Haha 1

I often take my family out for a nice meal but one of them has to walk home afterwards 🙂 

and if it’s a curry that certainly affects the emissions…

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, philip42h said:

Technically we should weigh our passengers and their luggage to ensure that we stay within bounds ... 😉

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

Sounds like the early days of flying 😇

Don't Ryanair still do that...? :innocent: :laugh: 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 12:16 PM, Strangely Brown said:

Having received no response from the dealer whence I purchased the car, I have just visited a local(ish) Toyota dealer to inquire as to the possibility of purchasing a spare wheel, insert and tools from a 2022 RAV4 to go in my 2021 car.

The parts guy was completely unfazed, as if it was an every day question. He popped out the back and returned with an appropriately sized tyre, test fitted it in my car to ensure that it would be OK and said that he would order the whole thing for me.

I was even more taken aback when he told me when and how much.

I will post pictures and details if this all comes together.

Watch this space.

I've now made a purchase of the Road Hero Space Saver Kit from https://www.carnoisseur.com for my Dynamic Premium Plug-in Hybrid 2022 model for £284 as my dealer could not help and responded with the following email:

Good Afternoon Sir,

Apologies for the delay I just wanted confirmation from Toyota before sending an email.

Unfortunately, there is no listing or offer from Toyota for a spare wheel for your vehicle.

I asked the question why we wouldn't offer one and they advised this is something that would need to be asked to the production team and they did not know.

Again, I apologise I do not know how to question this with Toyota, I knew that it was not available for the non-plug in version, so it seems it is the same with your model. I checked with my sales colleague, as this is a query, they had previous with the spare wheel and they advised the customer went outside of Toyota, of course this is not something I could advise but there may be something outside of Toyota applicable.

If you have any other queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Customer Consultant
Toyota Devon.

I have had a response from the dealer whence I purchased the car and their parts dept said that they could not order a spare wheel against my Reg No or VIN because it never came with one.

Yes. Well Duh! I know it never came with one, that's why I want one. I also know that you can't order one against my Reg No or VIN and in any case that is not what I asked you to do. I asked you to order a spare wheel for a 2022 model, not a 2021. If you have to provide a Reg No or VIN in order for the system to work then please have a look outside or in your records and pick an appropriate car against which to order the part. If necessary, I'll look around and provide one myself.

I can understand that they want to make sure that the part the customer receives is correct but c'mon, it really shouldn't be this hard.

ETA: Waiting on the second dealer who was, it seemed to me, more clued up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

I have had a response from the dealer whence I purchased the car and their parts dept said that they could not order a spare wheel against my Reg No or VIN because it never came with one.

Yes. Well Duh! I know it never came with one, that's why I want one. I also know that you can't order one against my Reg No or VIN and in any case that is not what I asked you to do. I asked you to order a spare wheel for a 2022 model, not a 2021. If you have to provide a Reg No or VIN in order for the system to work then please have a look outside or in your records and pick an appropriate car against which to order the part. If necessary, I'll look around and provide one myself.

I can understand that they want to make sure that the part the customer receives is correct but c'mon, it really shouldn't be this hard.

ETA: Waiting on the second dealer who was, it seemed to me, more clued up.

Good luck!

Yeah there is a big variance in the levels of customer service from parts departments (Or, in fact, dealerships in general!)

Even just getting the part code for the 15" rims I wanted for my Mk4 turned into a quest of epic proportions spanning countries (Well, Ireland); I'm just glad PartsKing is on this forum as I might still be trying to find them if it weren't for him!! :notworthy::laugh: 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 11:09 AM, Vainona70 said:

22My HEV Dynamic with 19 inch alloys comes with an 18 inch space saver.

IMG_20221122_105535_HDR.jpg

Is there any chance that you could post a picture of your spare, please?

As an update on my search for a spare...

The dealer that was trying to source one for me did order an 18" spare, lockdown screw, foam insert, jack and wrench. Unfortunately, the wheel was a steel and did not sit in the well properly. The insert did not fit inside the wheel properly and the jack did not fit inside the insert.

Fair play to him for find a bunch of part numbers that were supposedly for a '22 RAV4 Excel HEV and will happily try again if I can find a car against which to order the "correct" parts.

So, Alan, if your car was delivered with a spare from the factory could you please post a photo of the wheel in place in the well?

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Is there any chance that you could post a picture of your spare, please?

As an update on my search for a spare...

The dealer that was trying to source one for me did order an 18" spare, lockdown screw, foam insert, jack and wrench. Unfortunately, the wheel was a steel and did not sit in the well properly. The insert did not fit inside the wheel properly and the jack did not fit inside the insert.

Fair play to him for find a bunch of part numbers that were supposedly for a '22 RAV4 Excel HEV and will happily try again if I can find a car against which to order the "correct" parts.

So, Alan, if your car was delivered with a spare from the factory could you please post a photo of the wheel in place in the well?

Thanks.

The one I got off eBay is a genuine Toyota alloy space saver and looks like this

1B8CC743-DED6-4B59-89CE-6E628821A892.jpeg

59BACEA1-470F-4719-86D8-16CD6DA7DDF2.jpeg

A8A44F9C-8DC9-403B-B9A9-1B9D0965CBD6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

The one I got off eBay is a genuine Toyota alloy space saver and looks like this

1B8CC743-DED6-4B59-89CE-6E628821A892.jpeg

59BACEA1-470F-4719-86D8-16CD6DA7DDF2.jpeg

A8A44F9C-8DC9-403B-B9A9-1B9D0965CBD6.jpeg

... and is clearly marked T165/80 D17 ...

Thanks, Alan. Much appreciated. I think that is going to end up as my fall back position.

What I meant to say was...

So, Chris (Vainona70), if your car was delivered with a spare from the factory could you please post a photo of the wheel in place in the well?

I would like to see what the 18" spare, as supplied by Toyota for the '22 car looks like.

33 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

This is the spare supplied with my 2022 excel.

Tyre Size1.JPG

Wheel1.JPG

Space saver Tyre.jpg

Thank you, Roger. That looks very similar to the wheel as was ordered by the dealer, albeit with a Falken tyre. It could be that the wheel was correct, but the clamp, insert and jack were wrong.
I'll send him a link to this thread and have a chat with him.

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

... and is clearly marked T165/80 D17 ...

I know he ordered an 18” space saver, that “unfortunately” came as a steel wheel, so I was showing the alloy alternative, as far as I’m aware, Toyota don’t do An 18” alloy space saver for the RAV4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

I know he ordered an 18” space saver, that “unfortunately” came as a steel wheel, so I was showing the alloy alternative, as far as I’m aware, Toyota don’t do An 18” alloy space saver for the RAV4

I have sent him a link to this thread and asked for his opinion on the difference between what he ordered and the pictures that Roger provided.

1 hour ago, Strangely Brown said:

So, Chris (Vainona70), if your car was delivered with a spare from the factory could you please post a photo of the wheel in place in the well?

I assume Roger's pic gives you what you need Mark.

Edited by Vainona70
Typo
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Vainona70 said:

I assume Roger's pic gives you what you need Mark.

Yes, thank you. I presume yours to be the same.

On 12/13/2022 at 1:19 PM, Roger_N said:

This is the spare supplied with my 2022 excel.

Tyre Size1.JPG

Wheel1.JPG

Space saver Tyre.jpg

UPDATE:

The boot of my car now looks exactly like that above. Thanks, Roger.

The dealer got all of the required parts together and I collected them today. It turned out to be really easy once you had a car against which to search for the part numbers.

So, if you have a 2021 RAV4 that did not come with a spare and you would like one. Just ask the dealer to order the parts for a 2022 car that you know came with one. They may even have one on their forecourt.

In the end it turned out to be approx 50% more expensive than the third-party aftermarket solution but I am OK with that (It was the tools and extra bits that made up the bulk of the price) as I now have an OE spare instead of a bottle of goop.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links