Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UK Autumn Statement 2022

Jerdi

Electric vehicles will no longer be exempt from vehicle excise duty from April 2025 to make the system "fairer", says Hunt

• Like 1

And its also right. EVs should not be exempt. Saying this as someone who just got their EV a few weeks ago

• Like 3

"means anyone buying a new car - electric or otherwise - priced at more than £40,000 will face having to pay £165 in tax plus a £355 expensive car supplement every year from the second to sixth year of registration." 

Having EV car is ridiculous now. 520£ every year for 5 years than £165...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, bZ4X said:

"means anyone buying a new car - electric or otherwise - priced at more than £40,000 will face having to pay £165 in tax plus a £355 expensive car supplement every year from the second to sixth year of registration." 

Having EV car is ridiculous now. 520£ every year for 5 years than £165...

Why should an EV not pay road tax?

• Like 3

Ved buys you permission to keep a car on the road.  So all cars should pay something.

• Like 4

I agreed with incentives to improve adoption, but adoption is no longer an issue.  

Fully support having to pay road tax. It's a road tax, we use the roads. The fact that it is CO2 based up to now, highlights the changing world we are in. Most manufacturers will be offering a range of full EVs by 2025 and will no longer be the niche. 

I thought the BIK rates would increase higher than they have, so that's somewhat of a relief. 

• Like 2

and the real snipped is fuel levy (petrol / diesel) is increasing by 12% ...

• Like 1

Vehicle tax (road tax) is currently only CO2 based for year 1 - from year 2 it is a flat rate with an additional payment for vehicles with costing over £40K when first registered for use on the road.

However, who knows what the system in 2025 will be?

• Like 1

Road tax sure  this is to be expected,but additional expensive car tax for four years?

many ev’s fall into this range.

why are ev’s being penalised?

• Like 1

Road tax sure  this is to be expected,but additional expensive car tax for four years?

Will this make car makers reduce prices?

• Like 1

IMHO they should have been paying tax all along, but I think the bar for the Premium tax should be a lot higher for EVs or just exempt them from it.

They start at a higher base cost because of the massive cost of the Battery and I think that should be taken into account.

Edit: Although that said, that's a good point; It could force manufacturers to aim for a sub-40k price point so maybe it's not as bad as I think...

Then again will that mean we can't have things like HUDs and sensors and heat pumps and solar panels and big batteries as they try to get under that limit??

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Richard 1955 said:

They aren't, they are being taxed the same as any £40k plus car. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Malop said:

Update from gov website

6DB8BF66-A35F-4D1E-93FE-243411D70B87.jpeg

Thanks. What's the URL for that information?

URL is here

• Thanks 1

So, our new 2022 BZ4Xs have a couple of years without road tax, and won't suffer the punitive £355 annual charge for having an expensive car. The latter charge will be the real killer for people buying new EVs from 2025 onwards.

I don't have any problem with the EV road tax, but from 2025 many many EV cars will be in the £40K region, and the expensive car supplement will cost people dearly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mister Mike said:

I don't have any problem with the EV road tax, but from 2025 many many EV cars will be in the £40K region, and the expensive car supplement will cost people dearly.

This should encourage manufacturers to get the price of EVs down.

• Like 1

Regarding this :

"New zero emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will therefore be liable for the expensive car supplement. The Expensive Car Supplement currently applies to cars with a list price exceeding £40,000 for 5 years...."

It surely cannot fail to impact on take up of EVs.

Irrespective if the 'fairness' debate, there will be buyers for whom 'VED free'  vs £520/year for five years, will be a significant factor in the purchasing decision.

And given inflation, on going supply chain issues etc. , the sub 40K EV may never happen, at least not for a practical range EV from a trusted brand

• Like 4

All these taxes based in value make me laugh.  Basically it's fine to pollute as long as you're rich.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trewithy said:

This should encourage manufacturers to get the price of EVs down.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing tho', if they have to do it at the expense of the tech due to inflation and the increasing cost of components; I know I wouldn't be happy paying 39,999.99 for an EV that was the bare-bones tech equivalent of a Mk1 Aygo a Dacia Sandero and 80 miles of range because the rest of the money was eaten by mandatory safety systems...

Bear in mind my Yaris is already £25k as specced!! It's a smegging Yaris!!! It should not cost £25k!!

But it does, and still seems to be going up! If this trend continues, it is very conceivable that every new EV, even the shit ones, will be over 40k by 2025...!

That's why my view is the premium car tax should be waived or the bar set much higher for EVs.

I'm happy with them just paying the same base-rate as everyone else, but the premium one is just a disproportionate penalty.

It's meant to get more money out of rich folk who're buying big expensive luxury cars, not normal people buying slightly awful EVs...

TBH I think it's already set far too low - The fact that people buying RAV4s are getting clobbered by it shows they need to revise the price point.

Come to think of it, every time they increase the tax, they should be forced to raise the bar as well, because that tax increase reflects inflation so the point at what should be considered 'premium' must therefore also increase. The way it's working at the moment is just unfair, as the price point is effectively going down.

It's like how prices for everything goes up but our wages don't, so we are effectively getting a pay cut.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

All these taxes based in value make me laugh.  Basically it's fine to pollute as long as you're rich.

The difference here is that electric vehicles are (theoretically) far less polluting than infernal combustion engines. The annual £355 expensive car supplement is merely a tax grab on people who can ostensibly afford to spend a lot of money on something like a car, and doesn’t have anything to do with pollution per se. Historically, super expensive cars did tend to be more polluting, but that association is no longer the case. By 2030 in the UK, the infernal combustion engine won’t exist in new cars. But the premium tax almost certainly will!

• Like 2

When I bought my RAV4 last year it was just under the 40K with JBL, etc

But when it comes to change it like for like I'll certainly be over the 40K and incur the higher road tax.

Being the type of person I am I would not be happy paying this so will need downgrade to keep under the 40K 😕

Must be loads of people thinking like me ?

• Like 3

As they say you can only be sure of two things in life ‘death and taxes’. We’ve all got to pay something.

When I bought my PHEV I thought the premium car tax was still at £50k, my fault, so got clobbered as mine cost £47k. Then Toyota dropped the price my nearly £4k a couple of months later. It’s life I had my little rant then decided life is to short, enjoy what you have, don’t let these changes suck the joy out of the car you’ve waited for so long.

• Like 5

The 'luxury' car tax should be abolished; if they want to tax based on the (new) car list price then it should be set at 1% of the new cars value for years 2-6, then a lower flat rate after that. 40K car would pay £400, 100K car would pay £1000. More importantly, if you spend 39999 (or 30K or 20K or whatever) you don't escape.

• Like 3