Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

UK Autumn Statement 2022

Jerdi

On 11/18/2022 at 5:50 AM, Mister Mike said:

By 2030 in the UK, the infernal combustion engine won’t exist in new cars.

Probably will in hybrids or PHEVs as they may be on sale to 2035, depending what Government requirements are imposed on things like range in EV mode (which have still to be decided).

• Like 1

For those that brought cars with zero tax rate it is not good news, but it seemed inevitable that zero tax rates would never last. It amazes me the cost of how much car tax has increased over the years and what some owners are prepared to pay .

The same will no doubt happen with EV car charging prices.

• Like 1

I am curious as to whether that will get pushed back, especially in the haulage sector - EV trucks don't even come close to the utility of a diesel powered truck at the moment and it doesn't look like they will any time soon. The range and load capacity of a BEV truck is just a joke at the moment, and I think the industry is looking at alternative fuels, with hydrogen being the one a lot are gravitating towards, but that would make the cost of haulage skyrocket...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I think the industry is looking at alternative fuels, with hydrogen being the one a lot are gravitating towards

Toyota are already supplying fuel cells to Daimler buses (part of Daimler Truck) for use in their Mercedes eCitaro Range Extender City bus -

https://media.toyota.co.uk/toyota-motor-europe-to-supply-toyota-fuel-cell-module-to-second-bus-oem/

• Like 4

Aye, I'm not sure that ev is the best solution for trucks, for the sheer weight involved.

I also see post after post on Fb about yet another 2000bhp uber Ev that costs 100k and I'm thinking, why.  Where's the 30k 300 mile real range hatches.  

• Like 5

Even though this is all due to take place in 2030, I still don't think we'll be ready, or have the full infrastructure, to run the number of electric vehicles that will be around.

• Like 2

What I don't get is how they can, with a straight face, tell us we've got enough capacity for the EV transition on one hand, then on the other hand are warning us about the possibility of rolling blackouts during the winter...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

What I don't get is how they can, with a straight face, tell us we've got enough capacity for the EV transition on one hand, then on the other hand are warning us about the possibility of rolling blackouts during the winter...

One is eight years or more away; the other happens in only eight weeks ... I'm not saying that the charging infrastructure and generation capacity will be in place but there is still time for it to happen.

On 11/18/2022 at 7:58 AM, Hybrid21 said:

When I bought my RAV4 last year it was just under the 40K with JBL, etc

But when it comes to change it like for like I'll certainly be over the 40K and incur the higher road tax.

Being the type of person I am I would not be happy paying this so will need downgrade to keep under the 40K 😕

Must be loads of people thinking like me ?

That would also be the case with me but luckily the Yaris suits just nice for my needs.

• Like 3

i think i can manage £20-30, i wonder if that applies to the hybrids as well

Edit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/introduction-of-vehicle-excise-duty-for-zero-emission-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-from-2025/introduction-of-vehicle-excise-duty-for-zero-emission-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-from-2025

"The Graduated Vehicle Excise Duty (Prescribed Types of Fuel) Regulations 2001 will also be revoked so that hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles are no longer eligible for the reduced rate."

It's currently only a proposed revision

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Inevitable. By next year I would of had 5 years free tax from the Yaris. Before that 3 years free tax with an Audi A1 1.6 TDI. 

New MK4 next year will be paying tax then 140. 

• Like 2

PAYE tax, Road Tax, Value Added Tax, etc. Wait until they start taxing the air we breathe. I'm sure it will come one day 😁

• Like 2

Dont worry extra tax coming in April for petrol/diesel vehicles at the pumps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big_D said:

PAYE tax, Road Tax, Value Added Tax, etc. Wait until they start taxing the air we breathe. I'm sure it will come one day 😁

It will, there is already talk of carbon credits in some quarters.

• Like 4

Hi,

In the autumn statement, under policy and VED:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/autumn-statement-2022-documents/autumn-statement-2022-html#policy-decisions

It says:

VED on Electric Vehicles (VED) - From April 2025, electric cars, vans and motorcycles will begin to pay VED in the same way as petrol and diesel vehicles. This will ensure that all road users begin to pay a fair tax contribution as the take up of electric vehicles continues to accelerate. The government will legislate for this measure in Autumn Finance Bill 2022. This means:

• zero and low emission cars first registered between 1 March 2001 and 30 March 2017 currently in Band A will move to the Band B rate, currently £20 a year

Does this mean all low CO2 petrol and diesel cars registered between 2001 and 2017 (eg Prius and many others) will move in 2025 from £0 VED to £20 VED? I don't think the press has highlighted this (not that £20 a year is a huge amount of tax in the bigger scheme of things).

Regards,

John

• Like 1