Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

UK Autumn Statement 2022

Jerdi

Agree, with each 'change' in VED rates I don't remember them messing with the past. Bet there are a few classic car owners (40 year rule) who getting worried they are next in the firing line. This will bring our 108 Mk2 into line with our 107, £20 a year, the amount is a low anyway and is lower than the car it replaced, more worrying is the goal posts moving yet again! and now the genie is out the bottle the government has some big holes in it's finances that need filling.

• Like 2

In the past Government has introduced different systems for vehicle tax (vehicle excise duty, road tax or whatever). Originally road tax wasn't emissions based - it began by being based on a formula to calculate a car's horsepower.

It has only been since 2001, that it has been emissions (CO2) based, and the current system (from April 2017) is only emissions based for the first year for new cars.

So Government can, and has previously, changed what vehicle tax is based on.

• Like 2

My bad, I was getting too fixated on 'zero' band being a thing set in stone rather than a rate which as ever can go up or maybe down. Ironically I agree with it cos I believe if you use a vehicle on the road you should pay something towards it, although it will cost us more (well my sister) for her 108 Mk2, or have I just been jealous since she got it, nicer car, better built, cheaper VED........

I mentioned something here:

I'm not against road tax on EV, but it all looks like the whole world is turning away from eco-friendly solutions. I remember, when you could get grand for solar PV and a good price for feeding back to the grid. Now only if you have tons of money, then you can save some in Battery storage, but then, why to spend money on that. The same started to happen with BEV - you used to be able to charge the car for free, tax credits, etc, to get more green vehicles on the road. Road tax free is the only remaining carrot for people who even consider expensive car what you have to charge at home or pay the same, or more than for petrol (not mentioned the time spent). For me, the BEV has more cons than pros now. I started to understand Toyota CEO.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the world moves on, and as inflation and the cost of living increases (in most countries, not just the UK), having to cover unforeseen costs such as epidemics, etc, budgets get squeezed, and freebies get reduced. Just as it is really.

There are still huge savings to be made if you are a company car driver, by changing to the BZ4X from my Landrover Disover Sport I will save somewhere in the region of £400 per month in income tax. 

I agree for the private buyer i'm not sure the benefits are great any more.

• Like 2