Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

what a ball ache!

Burton

Just did a service on my 2007 2.0 d4d emptied the oil , dropped it then on the safe side only put 5litres in, checked it and there was to much in so had to jack back up and empty some out lol. Trouble is now is so clean its hard to tell where it is on the dipstick. I'm sure the light will come on if there isn't enough though . First ever service only took me 3 hours 🤣

• Like 2

That engine should take 5.9 litres (excl. oil filter). So, yes you should have been safe from overfilling, but you would have been slightly low. More likely you had oil on the dip stick from filling/checking. Just, leave the car standing with the dip stick out. Then come back and check again after an hour or so. Don't rely on the engine to tell you there's no oil. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burton said:

Just did a service on my 2007 2.0 d4d emptied the oil , dropped it then on the safe side only put 5litres in, checked it and there was to much in so had to jack back up and empty some out lol. Trouble is now is so clean its hard to tell where it is on the dipstick. I'm sure the light will come on if there isn't enough though . First ever service only took me 3 hours 🤣

Did you remove the sump plug or use an oil pump to drain the oil first time?

11 minutes ago, Oisin said:

Did you remove the sump plug or use an oil pump to drain the oil first time?

He said he jacked it up so, I would assume he took the sump plug out.

Yeah removed the sump plug. Well on way home on the motorway the low oil warning come on, so I got off and put half a litre in. 

I'm trying not to rely on the car telling me but it's hard to tell where it is. The oil was super clear so couldn't distinguish a true mark. Felt a fool though because took the belly pan off only to realise the sump plug and filter was exposed lmao 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Burton said:

Yeah removed the sump plug. Well on way home on the motorway the low oil warning come on, so I got off and put half a litre in. 

I'm trying not to rely on the car telling me but it's hard to tell where it is. The oil was super clear so couldn't distinguish a true mark. Felt a fool though because took the belly pan off only to realise the sump plug and filter was exposed lmao 

Jee, Andy you must be a complete beginner DIY mechanic. Before you do any further work on your car, do some research, look on how to’s on utube, try to get a Haynes manual for your particular car. Consult this forum for information before you start. Best of luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, APS said:

That engine should take 5.9 litres (excl. oil filter). So, yes you should have been safe from overfilling, but you would have been slightly low. More likely you had oil on the dip stick from filling/checking. Just, leave the car standing with the dip stick out. Then come back and check again after an hour or so. Don't rely on the engine to tell you there's no oil. 

my 2014 toyota 2.0 1adftv engine takes over 5l going by the guy at toyota i had to get 2 genuine toyota oil 5l 

I am, was my first service always had new cars before my divorce. Plus before that had old aircooled vw's and the oil was easy. I measured how much oil was taken out! So yes I'm a complete beginner but only 4.5 came out. I tried the dip stick a dozen times but was difficult to see. I did lots of research and went on to Castrol etc to see how much it needed for a service and how much it needed dry. This is why I put 5 in. 

Quite confusing 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

my 2014 toyota 2.0 1adftv engine takes over 5l going by the guy at toyota i had to get 2 genuine toyota oil 5l 

Did you go onto the Castrol site and type in your reg? Because the service oil refill is slightly less, than dry. Or so that's what I got from it. But I have little knowledge about these cars. After all I'm a cnc programmer lol

49 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Jee, Andy you must be a complete beginner DIY mechanic. Before you do any further work on your car, do some research, look on how to’s on utube, try to get a Haynes manual for your particular car. Consult this forum for information before you start. Best of luck.

3 hours ago, Burton said:

Did you go onto the castrol site and type in your reg? Because the service oil refill is slightly less, than dry. Or so that's what I got from it. But I have little knowledge about these cars. After all I'm a cnc programmer lol

i always put in genuine oil as those low quality oils wrecks the engines my last car i had to change a head gasket on it and well never heat up so i know so only thing has to be the motor factor oil was pure junk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2009joe said:

i always put in genuine oil as those low quality oils wrecks the engines my last car i had to change a head gasket on it and well never heat up so i know so only thing has to be the motor factor oil was pure junk

Definitely stay away from cheap oils but there are plenty of good oils available from motor factors such as Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Liqui Moly, Motul, etc.

As far as I know Toyota motor oil is made by Mobil.

16 hours ago, Oisin said:

Definitely stay away from cheap oils but there are plenty of good oils available from motor factors such as Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Liqui Moly, Motul, etc.

As far as I know Toyota motor oil is made by Mobil.

on my genuine toyota oil i got it dont say anywhere on the box it was made by Mobil

@2009joe, a good quality 5w30 C2 is the required oil, I have the same model/year as you, just a few more miles on, circa 115k. 

13 hours ago, 2009joe said:

on my genuine toyota oil i got it dont say anywhere on the box it was made by mobil

I would think it very unlikely that Toyota packaged oils would be marked in anyway at all as to whom the manufacturer was. It is though fairly obvious that Toyota would not manufacture their own oils. It is an obvious marketing ploy, so as Toyota can charge extreme prices for the oil they supply.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crofts2007 said:

@2009joe, a good quality 5w30 C2 is the required oil, I have the same model/year as you, just a few more miles on, circa 115k. 

i got my oil from these guys there a genuine toyota online parts sellers 

https://www.burrowscarparts.co.uk/5-litre-toyota-5w30-pfe-fully-synthetic-motor-oil-08880-83389.html

8 hours ago, JARC1 said:

I would think it very unlikely that Toyota packaged oils would be marked in anyway at all as to whom the manufacturer was. It is though fairly obvious that Toyota would not manufacture their own oils. It is an obvious marketing ploy, so as Toyota can charge extreme prices for the oil they supply.

well my genuine toyota stamped Battery was named on the side of it  = varta

plus my genuine stamped break pars were called = textar   but my genuine discs were not stamped i didnt see who makes them 

true about the oil well i dont know what oil is really good to use but with my last car and cheap oil its not going into my toyota 

I think Toyota source their oils from various suppliers and it goes into their own containers so would be tricky to brand them, but I don't know where this crack about 'charging extreme prices' came from; I found Toyota to be around £20 cheaper for 5L of 0w20 compared to e.g. Opie Oils or Euro Car Parts when I had my oil-guzzling Mk2, which is a huge discount!

And they are the only place I can easily get the 0w8 my Mk4 needs, and even that isn't too expensive compared to the 0w20 (5w30's still where it's at if you want the least expensive oil tho' - My other dealer even gave 5L of that free if you bought a service kit from them (Basically oil and air filters!)!!! Although I don't know if that's still a thing...)

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

I think Toyota source their oils from various suppliers and it goes into their own containers so would be tricky to brand them, but I don't know where this crack about 'charging extreme prices' came from; I found Toyota to be around £20 cheaper for 5L of 0w20 compared to e.g. Opie Oils or Euro Car Parts when I had my oil-guzzling Mk2, which is a huge discount!

And they are the only place I can easily get the 0w8 my Mk4 needs, and even that isn't too expensive compared to the 0w20 (5w30's still where it's at if you want the least expensive oil tho' - My other dealer even gave 5L of that free if you bought a service kit from them (Basically oil and air filters!)!!! Although I don't know if that's still a thing...)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323925271297

Wow that went up, it was more like £60 last time I bought some from my local dealer! :eek: I wonder if that's some sort of on-line markup...

• Like 1

My pal over the road had his car serviced recently.

On his invoice it detailed 2 packs of 5 litre oil,as apparently 7 litres needed, and 3 left over.

I think the oil alone was around £90, which made me realise how much engine oil has gone up.

That Toyota 0w20 though, does it have gold flake in it ?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 12:49 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

My pal over the road had his car serviced recently.

On his invoice it detailed 2 packs of 5 litre oil,as apparently 7 litres needed, and 3 left over.

I think the oil alone was around £90, which made me realise how much engine oil has gone up.

That Toyota 0w20 though, does it have gold flake in it ?

Gold Flake is an optional extra.

Cheers, John

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links