Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A pillar refit on yaris cross

MikeB2

Hi everyone, I need some advice please on how to refit the passenger side plastic a pillar on my new yaris Cross. I have tried to move the wiring for the dash cam because when the dealer fitted the cam (taken from my old Yaris) they positioned it in the top left hand corner of the windscreen and when it rains the cam doesn't record a clear picture. When I asked the dealer why they had positioned the cam there they said that the cable wasn't long enough to position the cam in a more central position. I thought I would have a look to see if I could move the cable to give me a couple of inches more to move the cam myself. I got the pillar panel off okay but struggling to get it back in place. Any Ideas would be very much appreciated.

Hi, 

a pillars and most other interior trim panels has holes in which are attached the plastic clips. These plastic clips in some cases can move slightly on on side while panel been removed and stuck in odd position that will prevent from replacing the panel back to its place. You can turn around the panel and recheck all clips if they had been correctly positioned before you try to fit back the panel in place. Just a tip that might help. Never worked on Yaris cross and can’t help any further. 
Good luck 

Not sure but A-pilar plastic cover can be mounted on a special plastic pin that must be replaced every time it is disassembled, so cauton on that. It's due to the exact breaking force when the airbag is activated.

• Like 1

I've had the A pillar trim removed on my C-HR in the past.

If there similar clips then the plastic securing clips have a long strap, you had to carefully release the tabs on the clip base in to the A pillar to remove the clip.

The clip design holds the base of the clip in to the car where the other end of the clip that's attached to the trim piece clips on to the base of the clip.

You have to carefully feed the strap though the end of the clip as you refit the trim.

The design of these clips allows the trim panel to detach when the curtain airbag fires but restrain the trim from then being launched in to the passenger compartment & occupants.

• Like 2

Many thanks for your replies, unfortunately on trying to position the pillar in the bottom slots the round plastic clip which attaches to the frame half way up broke, which I have found out is common because they are designed to break if the air bag is deployed.  I have managed to fit the strap back in place which sort of holds the pillar in place. I had to visit the dealer today and told them rather sheepishly what had happened. They have ordered a longer power cable for the dash cam so it can be positioned more centrally and will replace the clips all free of charge! I am chuffed to bits because I was expecting to have to pay. Top marks for the dealer.

• Like 3

Wow, that's great customer service! Which dealer is it if you don't mind? They deserve some recognition!

• Like 1

Sometimes, with good reason, we are always quick to criticise dealerships for not giving the quality of service that we expect.  However, I think it’s also important to highlight good practice and helpful actions that some dealerships can do on a regular and consistent basis.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Wow, that's great customer service! Which dealer is it if you don't mind? They deserve some recognition!

The dealership  is Steven Eagell. This is the second car I have purchased with them so I can only assume that they want to retain my repeat custom but nonetheless I am more than pleased with the customer service. I am waiting for the customer survey that usually follows purchase of a new car and will give them high marks!

• Like 2

There are significant differences between dealerships. Fortunately, my friend recommended one 120km from my location, but worth traveling there. Some even lie to your eyes with no hesitation. On end of the month they will push you to buy the car or some service, only for they personal benefits.

• Like 3

For future reference, it’s virtually impossible to just clip the A pillar back but the solution is very easy.   You have to squeeze the clips on the side of the part stuck in the window frame and it will come out.   Then you sub assemble the clip back on the plastic cover and put them back as one.  If I think on, I’ll film it later.   

• Like 5

Thank you Anchorman, it would be helpful not just for myself but other members if you could film the removal/refit and post on here.

• Like 4

Awesome video! Even I could follow that! Thank you to anchs and anchslass! :biggrin: 

You should have put a water mark on it so you can get credit when Toyota and Halfords use this for their training materials :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Thank you anchorman and your assistant anchorwoman for a very precise video. I know where I went wrong now in removing the trim. Not to worry though because my friendly dealer as previously mentioned is replacing the broken clips.

• Like 1