Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very high fuel consumption on 2009 RAV4 D-CAT

laukejas

So, "injectors were changed around 1000 km ago" - which is relatively recently ...

For your most recent tankful of fuel you averaged 40.6 mpg / 6.97 L/100km over a series of runs within a 9 hour day. That is pretty much exactly on the manufacturers "combined" figure and you really can't ask for much better.

Personally, I'd do precisely nothing more now and see what the figures over the next two or three tankfulls look like ...

• Like 3

- Does it emit white smoke ?.
- I have a Toyota Verso, 1ad-FTV engine (yours is 2AD-FTV). It emits white smoke. Now, I "patched" it, the fifth injector is disconnected. Put some dummy in place, and - yes - the white smoke is gone.
Electric checks done, and - yes -, the fifth injector is actuated.
- Either injector driver, ECU or wire harness fail. More checks next week. (Did the ECU order a
   regeneration cycle, or is it happening due to some defect ?.)
- To diagnose, I would recommend:
    a. Check the ECU. Does it report excessive regeneration cycles ?. If yes -> search cause.
    b. Make sure a regeneration cycles is just done.
    c. Disconnect the fifth injector (put a dummy), and check if the problem is gone.
       - Note: The engine normally regenerates the DPF every 200 km on normal road, 500 km on
          highway. I would not disconnect it for longer than that.
    d. If c. is positive, I suspect the injector driver. (Toyota part no 89871-20080).
        I am not sure, but in this part, there is an active trade on eBay (eBay.de).
        Please check if your engine has the same injector driver.

I have a 2008 2.2 DCAT, 205k km, some faffing with EGR and coded out 5th injector to get rid of constant white smoke problem, still smells of unburned fuel but no smoke, mixed suburban/motorway driving but rarely more than 20-30 mins a time. Car always predicts about 580km range at full. Never seen 800km prediction. 

23 hours ago, philip42h said:

So, "injectors were changed around 1000 km ago" - which is relatively recently ...

For your most recent tankful of fuel you averaged 40.6 mpg / 6.97 L/100km over a series of runs within a 9 hour day. That is pretty much exactly on the manufacturers "combined" figure and you really can't ask for much better.

Personally, I'd do precisely nothing more now and see what the figures over the next two or three tankfulls look like ...

You are right about that. If I got consistent 40.6 mpg / 6.97 L/100km, I would ask for nothing more. The question now is, can the car maintain that kind of consumption, or if there is still a problem I need to fix. I will observe the next few tankfulls.

20 hours ago, Pete3333 said:

- Does it emit white smoke ?.
- I have a Toyota Verso, 1ad-FTV engine (yours is 2AD-FTV). It emits white smoke. Now, I "patched" it, the fifth injector is disconnected. Put some dummy in place, and - yes - the white smoke is gone.
Electric checks done, and - yes -, the fifth injector is actuated.
- Either injector driver, ECU or wire harness fail. More checks next week. (Did the ECU order a
   regeneration cycle, or is it happening due to some defect ?.)
- To diagnose, I would recommend:
    a. Check the ECU. Does it report excessive regeneration cycles ?. If yes -> search cause.
    b. Make sure a regeneration cycles is just done.
    c. Disconnect the fifth injector (put a dummy), and check if the problem is gone.
       - Note: The engine normally regenerates the DPF every 200 km on normal road, 500 km on
          highway. I would not disconnect it for longer than that.
    d. If c. is positive, I suspect the injector driver. (Toyota part no 89871-20080).
        I am not sure, but in this part, there is an active trade on Ebay (ebay.de).
        Please check if your engine has the same injector driver.

Very solid and detailed advice, thank you very much. What kind of adapter and software I need to connect to ECU? So far my googling has turned up Techstream connector and their software. Is that the one I should get?

1 hour ago, Dippy said:

I have a 2008 2.2 DCAT, 205k km, some faffing with EGR and coded out 5th injector to get rid of constant white smoke problem, still smells of unburned fuel but no smoke, mixed suburban/motorway driving but rarely more than 20-30 mins a time. Car always predicts about 580km range at full. Never seen 800km prediction. 

I haven't checked for white smoke, but the exhaust does have a strong smell. Not sure if that is unburnt fuel smell or what. Could that fifth injector be causing unburnt fuel? I assume so, because my ECU was tuned very recently, so the regular injectors should be delivering a proper mixture. As for prediction, mine also predicts around the same, but I got that one 826 km range noneless. Not sure how that prediction works, it doesn't seem to correlate directly to MPG meter. It probably relies on some other MPG meter that is not shown on the dashboard.

Hey everyone! I'm having really similar symptoms, white smoke under acceleration and smelly. I've got the Auris 2.2 with the DPNR. I'll follow along/ contribute too!

18 hours ago, laukejas said:

Not sure how that prediction works, it doesn't seem to correlate directly to MPG meter. It probably relies on some other MPG meter that is not shown on the dashboard.

The range prediction is based on the amount of fuel in the tank and the average fuel economy over the last few 10s km. I.e. if you continue driving as you have recently, how far can you go before you need to refuel. It's the same meter but slightly different averaging and good enough to give you a indication as to how far you can go without adding more fuel.

18 hours ago, laukejas said:

I haven't checked for white smoke, but the exhaust does have a strong smell. Not sure if that is unburnt fuel smell or what. Could that fifth injector be causing unburnt fuel? 

The "essence of regen" is quite a distinct smell not unlike burnt rubber. Of itself it is neither 'unusual' nor a 'fault'.

Under ideal conditions - i.e. regular long journeys at reasonably high speed - the system should regenerate passively with no extra fuel added. By the end of your 9 hour marathon that should have been the case.

Under less than ideal conditions, the system detects the build up of 'soot' in the DPNR (a pressure sensor) and initiates an active regen cycle when the conditions are appropriate - i.e. the engine is at temperature and running above about 2000 rpm. During an active regen, fuel is supplied  via the fifth injector to raise the temperature of the exhaust and help burn off the 'soot'. Exactly how long this takes will depend of engine temperature, engine speed and how much soot there is in the DPNR.

During an active regen the "essence of regen" will be emitted from the tailpipe. The driver will neither notice nor care since it is outside the car and being left behind. If, however, the journey is ended and the car parked up before the active regeneration is complete the driver may well detect "essence of regen" at the back of the car.

This isn't, of itself, an issue since the active regen will resume when next the engine achieves the right conditions, but it is one of the reasons why this engine does not respond well to frequent short journeys - it wants regular 'long' runs to ensure that regeneration completes.

In short, detecting "essence of regen" occasionally isn't an issue - it is simply an indication that the car would benefit from a long run. If you detect "essence of regen" every time you park up, even after a longer run, that might indicate that the system was running an active regen cycle when maybe it need not and 'something is not quite right'.

(You haven't mentioned detecting white smoke ... so I won't either 😉 )