Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First time Celica buyer

Coffee.For.Blood

There are a few Celica's for sale in my area, and if y'all don't mind I have a few questions. 

1. What year is best?

I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews for the 00, 01, 02 because of the VVTL and specifically the lift bolts breaking. But frankly, 00-05 look the best... How much of a deal is this? Does one of the years have less of a problem with this?

2. For whatever years are suggested from #1, what is a decent price to pay for it? 

3. How much of a money sinkhole am I about to get myself in to?

I'm also hearing the recommendations are to...

A. Rebuild the engine to fix oil burning issues.

B. Upgrade the oil pump to prevent it from blowing up

C. Upgrade the oil pan to prevent oil starvation 

This seems like a lot. I'm all for working on a car, but don't want to throw a ton of money at it.

4. How many miles do they normally last?

1) A post face-lift 140, September 2002 onwards is the "sweet spot", the pre face-lift 140 is the engine with the possible oil burning issue. The T Sport is not really worth the extra cost in terms of purchase price/RFL/insurance. The extra power only comes at the top of the rev range (over 6200), and many of these cars have been thrashed and crashed. The 140 of course doesn't have what you call, "lift bolts". The correct term is flange bolts.

2) Condition is everything. Find one that's been treasured and you'll fall in love..but that's a very tough task.

3) Potentially, a big sinkhole. You could easily find yourself having to replace the rear subframe/brake lines/brake calipers/radiator and coolant. For example, the centre pipe for the exhaust is around £1500 from Toyota alone. The annual MOT test has killed many Gen 7's due to corrosion.

They WERE fantastic cars, I had mine from new for 17 years. It pains me to say it, but they've had their day, and I would be looking for something that's more resistant to rust than a Gen 7. Can you afford something like a 2013 Fiesta ST?. A future classic in the making IMO.

If I haven't put you off, the "Premium Blue" limited edition 140 in Lagoon Blue, is the wise mans choice. It has a higher spec. than a T Sport BTW.

Hope that helps 🙂

• Like 1

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance for whatever model you are looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.