Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slot for phone charging

leosayer

Can anyone tell me what is the maximum size in inches  phone that can fit in the wireless compartment?

Thank you.

absolute max is 6". i bought an angled connector to make it work. its a very squeezed fit. less would def work

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swoop5511 said:

absolute max is 6". i bought an angled connector to make it work. its a very squeezed fit. less would def work

Thanks. Would it be possible to post a  picture of it?

Wonder can you turn off wireless changing ...  some reviews that said the mobile phone got very warm in that enclosed space.

4 hours ago, Jerdi said:

Wonder can you turn off wireless changing ...  some reviews that said the mobile phone got very warm in that enclosed space.

Probably easier to switch it off on your phone!

• Like 1

On my PHEV there is a switch to turn off wireless charging. My Samsung S10 in a thin case gets very hot, more so than when I use wireless charging at home. I do not use wireless car charging as apart from the heat it's rarely able to charge the phone, the phone position on the pad seems very critical. 

Phone position critical - IIRC the Prius manual indicated the phone had to be pretty much central. I never bothered, just used a usb adaptor in the cig/aux connection and charged it via cable whilst I lay the phone on a rubberised mat to stop slipping on the dash.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, leosayer said:

Can anyone tell me what is the maximum size in inches  phone that can fit in the wireless compartment?

Thank you.

I just measured mine (Motion model). The dimensions at the bottom of the wireless compartment are 165mm x 90mm. Therefore, a little bigger than the 6 inches mentioned above.

One minor niggle: the USB ports dotted around the car are UAB-A connectors. These are going to look seriously outdated very soon, as the world + dog are moving rapidly to USB-C.

21 minutes ago, Mister Mike said:

One minor niggle: the USB ports dotted around the car are UAB-A connectors. These are going to look seriously outdated very soon, as the world + dog are moving rapidly to USB-C.

Interesting ... the brochure clearly states:

image.thumb.png.99d10875741faf5a4b63222b6247b72c.png

So you should have a USB-A connector as input to the multimedia system and USB-C power supplies elsewhere. But I'm only reading the brochure ... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TBH you're better off with both, and for charging purposes it doesn't really matter since there are adaptors.

I must admit I prefer A connectors as I've been finding the C connectors nowhere near as robust; We've had so many cable and connector failures within 3 years, esp. on laptops where the C-connector is now the docking station connector, compared to the A's!

55 minutes ago, Cyker said:

for charging purposes it doesn't really matter since there are adaptors

USB-A supports 5V at 0.5A, so 2.5W. USB-C at 5V supports up to 3A, so up to 15W though I'm not too sure where Toyota have set the limit. USB-C is much better suited to modern power mad devices ... 😉

A typically goes up to 2.4A, but unless it's a specific charging port they're usually limited to 0.5A as that's what the official spec requires. I have seen A chargers that send out 3A but tend to steer away from them as you'd need to be very confident of your cable quality to risk higher currents!

C can deliver much more power if it has QC or PD support, as it can go higher than 5v, but I don't think many cars support that yet, so it's generally limited to the same 5v 2.4A as that's the maximum power  you can safely use on normal cheap USB cables.

9 hours ago, philip42h said:

Interesting ... the brochure clearly states:

image.thumb.png.99d10875741faf5a4b63222b6247b72c.png

So you should have a USB-A connector as input to the multimedia system and USB-C power supplies elsewhere. But I'm only reading the brochure ... 🙂

Yes, you're quite right. I retract my rash statement, which was based on me seeing the USB-A port in the charging compartment. The others are, as you say, USB-C. Future-proof!

4 hours ago, Mister Mike said:

Yes, you're quite right. I retract my rash statement, which was based on me seeing the USB-A port in the charging compartment. The others are, as you say, USB-C. Future-proof!

The USB A port in the charging compartment is the only one allowing connection for Android Auto. None of the USB C ones work - unfortunately

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, swoop5511 said:

The USB A port in the charging compartment is the only one allowing connection for Android Auto. None of the USB C ones work - unfortunately

That’s a real drag. I hope there will be a software update allowing wireless connectivity for Android users.

4 hours ago, Mister Mike said:

That’s a real drag. I hope there will be a software update allowing wireless connectivity for Android users.

I think that might need more than a software update unless the hardware already has the functionality built in?

9 hours ago, swoop5511 said:

So If I understand well

Only iphones can wirelessy connect and charge?

23 minutes ago, leosayer said:

So If I understand well

Only iphones can wirelessy connect and charge?

That doesn't sound quite correct:

• Any 'phone that supports wireless charging can be charged wirelessly; any 'phone can be charged via any of the USB sockets.
  • Any 'phone that supports bluetooth handsfree calling can connect via bluetooth for handsfree use.
  • Both Android and Apple 'phones can connect via the USB-A port to connect t the multimedia system for use with Android Auto / Apple Car Play
  • Only Apple Car Play works wirelessly (over bluetooth); this is not currently supported for Android Auto

Is that what you meant? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, philip42h said:

That doesn't sound quite correct:

• Any 'phone that supports wireless charging can be charged wirelessly; any 'phone can be charged via any of the USB sockets.
  • Any 'phone that supports bluetooth handsfree calling can connect via bluetooth for handsfree use.
  • Both Android and Apple 'phones can connect via the USB-A port to connect t the multimedia system for use with Android Auto / Apple Car Play
  • Only Apple Car Play works wirelessly (over bluetooth); this is not currently supported for Android Auto

Is that what you meant? 🙂

Phlip thanks for your complete answer

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 2:42 PM, leosayer said:

Thanks. Would it be possible to post a  picture of it?

Bought this L-shaped USB-C adapter on Amazon.co.uk to make my mobile fit into the centre console. Note: I haven't yet received my BZ4X - getting it in January, it's just something I noticed when I was doing the test drive a few weeks ago when I plugged my mobile into the USB-A port to test out Android Auto, but noticed it wouldn't fit in properly with my normal charger cable so I think it's only going to fit in with this adapter.

image.png

• Like 3

On 11/30/2022 at 10:27 AM, Kieran78 said:

Bought this L-shaped USB-C adapter on Amazon.co.uk to make my mobile fit into the centre console. Note: I haven't yet received my BZ4X - getting it in January, it's just something I noticed when I was doing the test drive a few weeks ago when I plugged my mobile into the USB-A port to test out Android Auto, but noticed it wouldn't fit in properly with my normal charger cable so I think it's only going to fit in with this adapter.

image.png

Good idea!