Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CTEK battery charger

ex guitar man

Hi I am new on here having just acquired a 2month old demonstrator Yaris Cross Excel in Grey.Does anyone know if you can use a Ctek smart charger to keep the 12volt Battery charged during long periods of non use.Also is the accessory socket in the front live when the ignition is turned off as my Ctek has a cigarette lighter plug on it?

Nice, was it a good price.

My understanding is the ctek can be used to trickle charge. Socket is not live when engine is off. 

• Like 1

No the dealer had hiked the price because it was available immediately otherwise a 4to5 month wait for a factory order but seems most dealers are doing it gone are the days when you could haggle off a couple of grand on a car.

Part exchanged a Hyundai Kona EV which was 7 months old got a good price so completely satisfied.

Looking forward to enjoying my Yaris Cross.

Your best bet is to get a charge cable hardwired to the Battery under the rear seat.  Get the plug into the rear footwell. 

Connect CTEK as required.  I have mine wall mounted and a long CTEK extension lead which I plug in regularly. 

Set the CTEK to AGM. 

• Like 2

How do you do that? is it fairly easy to do?

56 minutes ago, ex guitar man said:

No the dealer had hiked the price because it was available immediately otherwise a 4to5 month wait for a factory order but seems most dealers are doing it gone are the days when you could haggle off a couple of grand on a car.

Part exchanged a Hyundai Kona EV which was 7 months old got a good price so completely satisfied.

Looking forward to enjoying my Yaris Cross.

At the risk of derailing the thread, what did you not like about the Kona to make you change it so quickly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ex guitar man said:

How do you do that? is it fairly easy to do?

Hard wire?  Very easy, told the dealer I wanted it done.  Gave him the lead 😁

You can do it yourself, there have been instructions in the forum. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Your best bet is to get a charge cable

The CTEK charger often comes with this cable in the box - as an alternative to the usual crocodile clips.  This could be attached to your Battery if you've still got it.

s-l500.thumb.jpg.09bed23151ca4428996605569445024d.jpg

And the CTEK 2.5m extension cables are currently sitting in the clearance section of my local Halfords, priced at £9.99.  Note that that 2.5M cable is extremely stiff though!

(Slightly off topic, all the CTEK charger boxes are gone in the local Halfords.  When I rang CTEK UK a few days ago with a question, both numbers I tried were set to the out-of-hours message, but it was 14.00.  Something odd going on here?)

• Like 2

Try eBay for ctek Battery cables you need the adaptor with large eyes or you can split and open up the ring terminal.

I fitted a fuse on the red side so ended off cutting it off.

If you doing it yourself insulate your tools for loosing the red Battery terminal ao it cannot short out on the seat frame you can also move the Battery forward slightly after removing the battery floor clamp.

Another option

Its safer to disconnect the negitive post then if you short out positive post to the frame you wont dammage it but you will have to sort out the radio re-tune it.

IMG_0310.thumb.JPEG.07ac41079cf4cac7b4792138f7b6436f.JPEGIMG_0309.thumb.JPEG.947d1710272e0765bdc0b1f11b71965b.JPEG

My ctek charger has a maintance mode it was supplied with M6 eylets but you be better off buying M8 eylets so saving the hassel of modifying them ihe one in the picture black is a ctek eylet M6 but its modified and its hidden under the bolt.

The blue wire is for the solar panel thats another item running of the same fuse along with a Battery monitor its the black box stuck onto the Battery to the left of toyota red fuse cover from the positive pole.

Thanks guys for all your useful replies look forward to asking more as time goes on.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links