Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why do most drivers still use the famous IMO car washes at asda and tesco when they damage cars?

Mike 2121

I used them for years until asda took off my rear wiper blade a few months ago which was mental lol 😃🤔🤔.

Don't have time to do it meself

• Like 2

These days drivers does do many more stupid things to begin with,
-speeding all the time, disrespect other road users, pedestrians, cyclists, animals. Not service their cars, driving with worn out tyres, not properly working brakes etc . Drink drive and driving under influence of drugs, probably over 40-50% of all cars on the road if stop and test you will find the drivers are high, that is only the sensible explanation for the current situation on the roads. There had never been worse times to be on the road and you are worrying about car washes, that’s the smallest issue drivers and car owners have. 🫢😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

These days drivers does do many more stupid things to begin with,
-speeding all the time, disrespect other road users, pedestrians, cyclists, animals. Not service their cars, driving with worn out tyres, not properly working brakes etc . Drink drive and driving under influence of drugs, probably over 40-50% of all cars on the road if stop and test you will find the drivers are high, that is only the sensible explanation for the current situation on the roads. There had never been worse times to be on the road and you are worrying about car washes, that’s the smallest issue drivers and car owners have. 🫢😂

I do not have actual figures/statistics to prove/disprove but I think :

"Drink drive and driving under influence of drugs, probably over 40-50% of all cars on the road if stop and test you will find the drivers are high, that is only the sensible explanation for the current situation on the roads. "

Regards, John

IMO I think many drivers can't be othered to wash there cars themselves, many will say they haven't got the time to do it. However to many are to lazy to bother and would rather spend the money for a car wash to do it without knowing the damage these can cause to the paintwork,wipers and wing mirrors.

A few of our neighburs do clean there cars but many take them to the local hand wash.

• Like 2

Hmm, I'm not lazy, I just have things that are far more important to me, that I spend my time on, than a hunk of metal.

Even when I owned my own cars I would spend the time keeping them maintained rather than clean.

I would love to be able to wash and valet my car as I used to.

But needs must, and if you simply physically cannot do it, then there is no other option than to pay others to do it.

And yes, my option is to use a local hand wash, the scouts Bob a job seems to be no longer operating.

Yeah, do it yourself, and do it right is the best way,no one will give the care and attention to detail that the owner will.

• Like 2

I take mine to a local hand car wash. It;s run by the guy who owns it, along with his buddy. They take their time and do a brilliant job. There is always a queue. Well worth the price I have to pay.

• Like 1

I just wash my own car if short of time just from about halfway up to get the mud off full wash next time.

Many that use such car washes only see their car as a way to get from A to B and many are also company cars.  While they can do damage most of the drivers run on the six-foot rule in that any damage not noticeable from six foot or more cannot really be regarded as damage.

• Like 1

None of our local Asdas or Tescos have IMO car washes. Some of the Tescos have hand car washes where the companies lease the allocated car park space, etc from Tesco.

It mystifies me how people pay to wait in a queue, have a dodgy car wash that doesn't do the car any good. You can do it yourself in less time!!

• Like 3

It is better not to wash the car at all. It will preserve the paint from scratches. If we are lazy, just go to professional detailer, hand wash with multiple bucket, sealant the paint and will last for 6 months. Higher end Ceramic coating will last 1 year or more. England weather has enough rain to wash the dirt. Once it is waxed and very smooth, the dust washed very easily.

Bad hand wash is much worse than automatic car wash. Never touch the paint with rubber or hard materials. Only soft thick polyamide polyester microfiber. Use 2 buckets, for rinse and for the soap. 

I cannot wash the car in my home because it is ilegal in Germany. I use waterless carwash and 6 thick microfiber towels. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, AisinW said:

It is better not to wash the car at all. It will preserve the paint from scratches. If we are lazy, just go to professional detailer, hand wash with multiple bucket, sealant the paint and will last for 6 months. Higher end Ceramic coating will last 1 year or more. England weather has enough rain to wash the dirt. Once it is waxed and very smooth, the dust washed very easily.

Bad hand wash is much worse than automatic car wash. Never touch the paint with rubber or hard materials. Only soft thick polyamide polyester microfiber. Use 2 buckets, for rinse and for the soap. 

I cannot wash the car in my home because it is ilegal in Germany. I use waterless carwash and 6 thick microfiber towels. 

Lol, illegal to wash your car. If this is happening in uk I will be sent to prison very soon afterwards 😂👍

Can you service your car at your driveway or street then? 
I feel like a criminal right now 🫢

• Haha 4

It is true Tony. It is actually in the Germany driving license theory test materials. Basically, we are poluting the storm water with the car wash shampoo which is BS. We can still wash our car without any shampoo. Polishing a headlight is ilegal too, the law said it alters the optic of the lens which is true, from bad becomes better. 

We are allowed to replace the wheel and oil on our parking lot though. As long as nothing is spilled excessively. We must return the old oil to the stores or some local chemical waste bins. 

It is common that some garages/Werkstatt rent their place if we want to fix cars.  They also lend the tools too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Every country has a lot of stupid laws that are ignored, if it exists, does not mean someone will enforce it on you, people still use common sense.

I thought it's illegal to wash your car on Sunday, but not every day in DE?

I don't know what you people do there on Sunday, can't wash the car, can't go to stores as they are closed on Sunday, so if you have a hobby, or want to do something, can't buy the materials same day. 

I wondered what IMO was, googled and found out.  I had used it years ago, known as a Californian Car Wash then.  Went back one time, the kit had gone and it was an East European wash team.  Later still it became a middle Eastern one. 

Our local Grantham ME wash has many hall marks of slavery. Only one man with the money and only he speaks.  Good team though. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I wondered what IMO was, googled and found out.  I had used it years ago, known as a Californian Car Wash then.  Went back one time, the kit had gone and it was an East European wash team.  Later still it became a middle Eastern one. 

Our local Grantham ME wash has many hall marks of slavery. Only one man with the money and only he speaks.  Good team though. 

Your post prompted me to do the same, and Google it,as I had never heard of IMO either.

Took me to the trustpilot reviews, it reads to me as though you are pretty much guaranteed car body damage if you use these, and a fair chance of your own body damage if you complain.

Not run by a chap who goes by the name of Corleone by any chance is it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, furtula said:

Every country has a lot of stupid laws that are ignored, if it exists, does not mean someone will enforce it on you, people still use common sense.

I thought it's illegal to wash your car on Sunday, but not every day in DE?

I don't know what you people do there on Sunday, can't wash the car, can't go to stores as they are closed on Sunday, so if you have a hobby, or want to do something, can't buy the materials same day. 

When I first worked in Germany at a place called Bucholz near Hamburg,it was apparently illegal to work on a Sunday.

So we didn't as the sites were shut anyway.

So Sundays were usually spent by the foreign workers like us, putting off as long as possible going to the pub,in an attempt to not get too hammered by the end of the day.

Of course it was different for the natives, they had their families and homes to see to in most cases, I would imagine.

Later, working directly for an architect at a place called Worms,we could work 7 days if we wanted to on a private site, may have been illegal though.

The architect and his friends,who we were building houses for, would work on site at weekends, clearing rubbish and site tidying etc, they called it a "hobby weekend" and would put out a grand spread of food,beer, coffee at lunchtime for all of us.

The funny thing was that the working clothes of the Germans were smarter than our going out gear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2022 at 12:26 PM, AisinW said:

It is better not to wash the car at all. It will preserve the paint from scratches...

What always reminds me that the car needs a wash are the mucky wheels.  Brake dust and road dirt i assume, but the alloys just look filthy a long tome before the paintwork.

14 minutes ago, Wooster said:

What always reminds me that the car needs a wash are the mucky wheels.  Brake dust and road dirt i assume, but the alloys just look filthy a long tome before the paintwork.

The delights of a hybrid, no brake dust. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

The delights of a hybrid, no brake dust. 

Indeed, and any unusual brake dust means brakes does not work as they should. I can have some dust on mine but I am talking about 200 miles motorway drive every day. I have seen some Toyota hybrids with really bad wheels full of brake dust. 

The rear wheel on Original OEM from Bosch brake pads and calipers system are usually pretty dusty. Bosch use no Copper organic pads and they are dusty. The front brakes from Advics are way less dusty because the regeneration brake although the front still  wear faster than the rear.  However, I suspect the black dust is actually iron oxides/rust from the disc. At least the rear disc has deeper groove than the front. 

I never use the so called “Hand Wash” establishments as I don’t like operators using the same sponge for every car that they clean.  Additionally, I’m not a fan of TFR (traffic film remover) either.  I used to see large car repair companies use this stuff before returning the car to the customer.  They didn’t even use soap or shampoo.  They just sprayed the entire car with TFR and waited a few minutes before rinsing off.  TFR is incredibly strong and if left too long it will damage paintwork and alloy wheels.  However, I do appreciate that some people might not be physically able to hand wash their own vehicles and have to resort other methods.

Toyota hybrids gen 3 at least wear rear brake parts faster that front and this is the case with many more modern cars made since late 2000’s having abs + e brake distribution and asc. My opinion is based on Priuses and Auris gen 1 hybrids. All of these cars rear pads were gone first.