Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen Replacement?

Cyker

22 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

To stop it spreading follow the advice in the video 

Thanks, but the weird thing about this crack is there is no accompanying chip, just the fracture, so there's no 'dent' to fill in.

I still have no idea how it formed as I've never had a crack like this before - In the past, there's been a chip which the crack then grows out of but this seems to start at the edge and is a clean fracture all the way across!

I can only guess they're using a very tight bonding agent which hasn't let the glass move enough, and it's caused a stress fracture??

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Thanks, but the weird thing about this crack is there is no accompanying chip, just the fracture, so there's no 'dent' to fill in.

I still have no idea how it formed as I've never had a crack like this before - In the past, there's been a chip which the crack then grows out of but this seems to start at the edge and is a clean fracture all the way across!

I can only guess they're using a very tight bonding agent which hasn't let the glass move enough, and it's caused a stress fracture??

I think there is a cheap and sign of stone impact . Here where the crack is bent . On my one was exactly at the corner, and in general the whole car has little holes from stone cheaps, bonnet, bumper, windscreen, roof, roof edge . 

049302C4-BE44-4E04-8CBC-D11117BCF26A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

Similar on mine. The technician followed the crack with his nail. It was a tiny chip that you could only feel. The reason it cracked was because the impact was about 6 cm in from the edge. Had it hit just a couple of cm further in, the screen would probably never have cracked.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, APS said:

The reason it cracked was because the impact was about 6 cm in from the edge.

The edges of glass are the vulnerable bit. That's why advice is to hit glass to escape through near the frame, not in the middle.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:09 PM, Cyker said:

Update: Autoglass have lost my windscreen in the system somewhere and cancelled my appointment on the 19th to replace it!

as I was at Toyota today* and they have them in stock with a 3-4 day lead time!

Dealt with them in the past & never again, they have glass repair & replacement deals with most insurance companies so never ending stream of work given to them on a plate.

My Toyota dealer sourced a genuine C-HR windscreen in 4 days - they use a local independent automotive glass company to replace the screen.

• Like 3

It’s not the company, it’s the fitter.  If you get a good one you’ll have no trouble.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

True, it’s the fitter. Only surprised me how possible two Toyota are with windscreens fitted higher than usual by one cm. One car in Hertfordshire, the other in Ireland 🫢, definitely different fitters, Same company, same brand windscreens and same brand cars, different models. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

It’s not the company, it’s the fitter.  If you get a good one you’ll have no trouble.  

It's the company & there attitude - I've had dealings with more then a fitter.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2022 at 1:09 PM, Cyker said:

Update: Autoglass have lost my windscreen in the system somewhere and cancelled my appointment on the 19th to replace it!

They can't tell me if it was ordered but it's definitely ordered now but is on backorder with no ETA. Yay! Driving around with a 1.5foot crack in my windscreen is *just* what I wanted for Christmas!

Also, because this has gone on so long, my insurance with the company this started under has expired so smeg knows how that's going to affect this. I'm still going to call them to see if they will let me go a different route, as I was at Toyota today* and they have them in stock with a 3-4 day lead time!

*It turned out it wasn't really about the finance, but they just wanted to buy my car off me and put me on a new finance at a lower monthly, but as they don't make HUD-equipped Yarisesisesus any more I politely declined. Apparently Toyota are currently "throwing gobs of money" at dealers to get peoples old cars and put them in the queue for new ones on finance so this may be useful knowledge to someone after a good deal!

In fairness to Autoglass ordering something and having it delivered is two very different things, the days of just in time are well gone.  Most new car parts take around three months and then you have the problem of shipping, which is a problem world wide at the moment.

• Like 3

It has been may years since my kit car building days but back then if I had a screen to be fitted I always used Autoglass, they were always helpful, despite the one off nature of the fitments.  Over eight cars, six of them being kit builds, I never had an issue.  Perhaps I was just lucky with the local branch, but they were good.

• Like 4

Better news! I called my insurer to hammer out the situation; They called AutoGlass and confirmed that there was no lead time and that this had gone on for nearly a month, and have authorized me to have it done by a third party. :yahoo: 

I've just gotten back from Jemca with a full quote (I tried phoning parts but as expected they didn't pick up (See, this is why I keep singing your praises @Parts-King! You actually answer your e-mail and phone!! :laugh:), so went there in person... and it still took an hour!!) and sent it off for approval; Am hoping it's approved today as they said if they can order it by the end of today it'll be ready for Thursday, otherwise it'll be after Christmas...

Fingers crossed!!

• Like 6

Okay I'm starting to wonder if this windscreen is cursed or something...

Got there for 8am yesterday, got a phonecall *just* as I was parking at the dealer, to say the glass hadn't arrived, and was told they would call me when it had arrived and once they confirmed the glass guy could come in (He normally only does it on Thursdays).

Got no phonecall, assumed it was off, went to bed fairly late. Got a phone call at 8am the next day (i.e. today) telling me to bring the car down asap. I am not a morning person so being woken up unexpected me makes me grumpy, esp. when I've gone to bed late! Took the car down to the dealer, parked up, removed my Dashcam wiring, went in, they told me the car would be ready in the afternoon and to come back around 4pm, but I decided to stay as I wanted to be on hand, should there be any problems and so I could check things. Good thing I did, as just as I'd finally gotten the stupid VPN to connect on my laptop and started doing some work, one of the staff came up to me to apologetically tell me they couldn't do it as the new windscreen was also cracked.

Gave me the keys back and wished me a happy christmas.

Cursed I tell you!!

While I was there, amusingly there seemed to be quite a few people who were all in for failed water jet pumps - all blown fuses from what I could hear! Seems like the fuses are very prone to popping when people keep trying to use the water jets when they're frozen! :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 12/23/2022 at 10:13 AM, Cyker said:

Okay I'm starting to wonder if this windscreen is cursed or something...

Got there for 8am yesterday, got a phonecall *just* as I was parking at the dealer, to say the glass hadn't arrived, and was told they would call me when it had arrived and once they confirmed the glass guy could come in (He normally only does it on Thursdays).

Got no phonecall, assumed it was off, went to bed fairly late. Got a phone call at 8am the next day (i.e. today) telling me to bring the car down asap. I am not a morning person so being woken up unexpected me makes me grumpy, esp. when I've gone to bed late! Took the car down to the dealer, parked up, removed my dashcam wiring, went in, they told me the car would be ready in the afternoon and to come back around 4pm, but I decided to stay as I wanted to be on hand, should there be any problems and so I could check things. Good thing I did, as just as I'd finally gotten the stupid VPN to connect on my laptop and started doing some work, one of the staff came up to me to apologetically tell me they couldn't do it as the new windscreen was also cracked.

Gave me the keys back and wished me a happy christmas.

Cursed I tell you!!

While I was there, amusingly there seemed to be quite a few people who were all in for failed water jet pumps - all blown fuses from what I could hear! Seems like the fuses are very prone to popping when people keep trying to use the water jets when they're frozen! :laugh: 

Fuses aren’t prone, they’re doing their job protecting the pump and wiring from dopey owners who don’t prepare for the first frost.  Sub zero happens every year but you wouldn’t know it 🙄

• Like 3

On 12/18/2022 at 3:17 PM, Cyker said:

The stop hole is at the opposite end of the start point.  Couple of points, use some masking tape to stop the drill sliding and mark the end of the crack.  Only attempt this if you can get the drill exactly on the normal. 

On my Yaris Cross most of the windscreen is inaccessible to me. I can barely reach screen centre to clean it. 

• Like 1

I had Autoglass for several repairs, one was a smashed side window (thief) but he did the windscreen too, logged it as vandals so only one excess. 

Another time arrived and found no glass tint on the screen top.  Returned the  next day, Mercedes had confirmed a spec change. 

Another screen I didn't realise it was a blue tint.  The fitter did and returned later with proper shade. 

I would be tempted after owning a car for a few years to crack it myself 😁

Final point though, if it is sound deadening glass make sure yours is same spec 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

Fuses aren’t prone, they’re doing their job protecting the pump and wiring from dopey owners who don’t prepare for the first frost.  Sub zero happens every year but you wouldn’t know it 🙄

Thanks for labelling me a “dopey owner” 

But in 40 odd years of motoring and many instances of frozen nozzles this is the first time that any of my cars has blown any fuse. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

Thanks for labelling me a “dopey owner” 

But in 40 odd years of motoring and many instances of frozen nozzles this is the first time that any of my cars has blown any fuse. 

Don’t take it personally, I do dopey things but I tend to anticipate anything cars, it’s a lifelong vehicle mechanic thing.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ralph H said:

In the early days the motors were probably more substantial and the fuses coubikr. Over the years manufacturers have got better at getting more out of less, to save cost and weight, so modern stuff probably has a lot less leeway for being stalled.

(The forum insists on spelling the word for 'less fine' as coubikr !!?)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

In the early days the motors were probably more substantial and the fuses coubikr. Over the years manufacturers have got better at getting more out of less, to save cost and weight, so modern stuff probably has a lot less leeway for being stalled.

(The forum insists on spelling the word for 'less fine' as coubikr !!?)

Aye, it’s the wokey snowflake filter in case some poor thing gets offended.  

12 hours ago, anchorman said:

Aye, it’s the wokey snowflake filter in case some poor thing gets offended.  

How can someone be offended by 'c o !Removed!'?

Am I missing some modern (mis)use of the word?

Edit: Oh, it's the S$%&^(*)Ihorpe problem ... "co-bottom" isn't allowed. If someone doesn't fix it this forum is going to become unusable, or at least a very bad joke.

The filter has been there since before I joined in 2008 - some like it, some don't. Just a fact of life. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeSh said:

How can someone be offended by 'c o !Removed!'?

Am I missing some modern (mis)use of the word?

Edit: Oh, it's the S$%&^(*)Ihorpe problem ... "co-bottom" isn't allowed. If someone doesn't fix it this forum is going to become unusable, or at least a very bad joke.

Some words can be taken out of context but are completely harmless.  Mike has recognised my frustration in the past when I wanted to say the opposite of advanced in relation to ignition timing.  He’s over ridden the woke snowflake filter and added it.   Can’t say anything these days without someone trying to be offended.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Some words can be taken out of context but are completely harmless.  Mike has recognised my frustration in the past when I wanted to say the opposite of advanced in relation to ignition timing.  He’s over ridden the woke snowflake filter and added it.   Can’t say anything these days without someone trying to be offended.  

It's the way of the world these days Don, I appreciate that some control needs to be there to protect the vulnerable but everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and it's being taken too far.

So much so that it's defeating the original purpose 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The filter has been there since before I joined in 2008 - some like it, some don't. Just a fact of life. 

Good grief. I've never been tripped before, apart from obviously dubious words.

Censoring strings that make a dubious word but are actually part of a valid one was discovered way back when auto-moderating was first started. I thought all the systems were updated to correct that. It's another hit to English as we'll have to talk about fine and course filters instead.

I wonder if I'll be able to go to my funeral in a horse drawn heubik ? (Edit. Only if the undertaker can find one of them 😄 )

• Haha 1

I got caught out by using the word for a quarter of an old penny when using the term for an old 'ordinary' bicycle that had a much larger front wheel than back.

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links