Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Replacement?

Cyker

It doesn't take four hours to do, there will be 2.5 hours drying time for the bonding glue, after all, you wouldn't want to go out, have a bump and the windscreen fall out when the air bag goes off would you? :naughty:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Four hours! 

I was told half a day when I took my Ford Anglia in for a screen change.  I went back at the  appointed time and they hadn't started.  I remonstrated and the old glass was removed, the seal cleaned, a cord put in the seal, glass offered and cord pulled. 10 minutes and job done. 

I complained about the 2 hour labour charge. The manager said he could have put on his least experienced worker. 

Still I leant a lesson. 25 years later, having had to pop a rear window on my Fiesta, I put a jungle boot lace in the seal, offered up the glass, pulled cord, job done in 5😁

Even Autoglass are quicker but I think they said don't drive for an hour or so. 

I used to change toughened windscreens in a few minutes - usually through knackered windscreen wiper score marks.   The first laminated screen I changed was a giant flat screen in a Foden truck.  Despite being warned by the supplier that it was fragile, I got it in and then broke it being nothing short of blazé about it.   Of course, these days they are bonded and the first one I came across was in a Ford Sierra.  My mate at the Ford garage told me the first job is wind the windows down because the first one they did, they fitted it then shut the door which popped it onto the bonnet because of the pressure.  Of course the adhesive will be high tech these days and yes, possibly useable with care after an hour but you should know better 😉, if you are told four hours at a dealership, three of those are waiting for it to move out of the car park!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

a bump and the windscreen fall out when the air bag goes off would you? :naughty:

Least of your problems. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Least of your problems. 

He’s got you there Kingo!!!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, anchorman said:

but you should know better 😉fyou are told four hours at a dealership, three of those are waiting for it to move out of the car park!

At least with laminated glass a true roadside repair is no longer necessary or practible, assuming a new screen is available.  You can either drive home or park up in a service area. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

At least with laminated glass a true roadside repair is no longer necessary or practible, assuming a new screen is available.  You can either drive home or park up in a service area. 

I think @Cyker is in the choir for that 😉

10 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Least of your problems. 

But the windscreen is part of the airbag system, particularly the passenger side, so it popping out could make your life worse ...

35 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Providing they don’t break it again……. I’ll get my coat 🧥 

Don't jinx it! :fear: 

Was just chatting to the glass fitters, as they're doing a bunch of cars. Apparently the adhesive would normally be ready in 30 mins, but they usually leave it for an hour.

He was saying today it would be better to leave it a bit longer as it's rather cold outside. A remark involving balls and a brass monkey was mentioned. I thought it was a bit mean of the dealership as they wouldn't let the fitters work in the garage proper, but looking in there it does look pretty rammed... They did very well considering as I was starting to feel pretty cold after only talking with them for a few minutes! (Should have brought a hat...!)

Funnily enough they were reminiscing with me on how much easier it was in the old days, where they didn't have to worry about so much stuff stuck to the windscreen, and it was just a matter of popping the glass out and back in to the rubber surround (They were very keen on telling me not to come in contact with the adhesive! Having encountered similar stuff when I was pulling the cover off the fuel sender in my Mk1 I agreed...!)

Done a nice job tho', dead even all the way around and not too high. Be a relief to get the car back and not have to worry about a crack creeping along the screen!

• Like 7

At last,eh Cyker?

Fingers crossed 🤞 for you that it all goes fine, and no more problems.

Reading this thread has reminded me though of the adverts in the old motoring magazines, for temporary windscreens rolled up in a tube to carry with you in the car.

I think that they were polycarbonate and you could trim them to size with scissors.

In theory anyway 😅

Maybe hellfrauds still sell them? Probably gone up a bit now from 17/6.

• Haha 3

Yes, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :yahoo: (Hopefully it's not actually another high-powered LED car coming the other way :fear: )

I think I'm getting addicted to the coffee machine hot chocolate...

• Like 2

Ooooh this is awkward... someone's arguing with the service advisor next to me about their 12v Battery problems; Tech says it tested fine and needs an 8 hour charge, customer is saying the Battery needs replacing...

Going round in circles.... so awkward :unsure:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ooooh this is awkward... someone's arguing with the service advisor next to me about their 12v battery problems; Tech says it tested fine and needs an 8 hour charge, customer is saying the battery needs replacing...

Going round in circles.... so awkward :unsure:

Oh well,at least the owner will have the reassurance that tech and the service advisors are always right.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can’t you fit a windscreen with a length of string anymore?

• Haha 2

I can't upload the picture from the glue, but it says ready in two hours, crash test standard, 64kmh, 40% overlap six hours, no I don't know what that means either  🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I looked into it further, the 2 pack glue is ready in 2 hours, the 1 pack glue is 6 hours, we use the 2 pack 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I can't upload the picture from the glue, but it says ready in two hours, crash test standard, 64kmh, 40% overlap six hours, no I don't know what that means either  🤷‍♂️

I suspect it means this crash test standard 

https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-safety/the-ratings-explained/adult-occupant-protection/previous-tests/offset-deformable-barrier/

• Like 4

Here is my story with windscreen replacement. 
For some reason auto glass technicians seems to fit these a bit higher than the original windscreen and so I had a chance to put my fingers between the roof lining and the window form inside while the glue was drying and I did few checks through the night. He advised to wait at leat an hour before start driving and not to wash in the next 48 hrs. I did drive off two hits later in heavy rain, stick my finger there and the glue was soft , very soft indeed and if pushed hard finger could have gone in a bit, obviously I didn’t do that 😂 The next day tbe glue was not smelly and harder but still a bit squishy and two three days later become hard similar to doors seals. That’s my experience with it. 

• Like 4

Yeah I've also been advised not to do anything strenuous with it, so no more hooning for at least a few days :crybaby: 

My Dashcam wiring looks so awful now because I don't want to start tucking it in until it's fully set (Last thing I want is for the Dashcam wiring to get stuck to the windshield glue!!). I'll have to tape it to the A-pillar or something so it's not in the way.

@Parts-King - Do you have your own people for glass stuff then or do you still outsource it but provide all the materials?

These guys just had that black goop in a big slug that went into one of those piping tubes like you use for silicone. I quite liked the motorised drill attachment they were using - made for a very even and consistent bead compared to what I've managed attempting to do similar things with bathroom sealant and a manual pump!!

But it's all done and the ADAS seems to work okay as I ACC'd most of the way home and it didn't crash into anything, so that's a plus!

Was a bit anticlimactic in the end...

The staff there seem a bit more on the ball than I'm used to so that was good, although some gentle prodding was required now and then between stages!

Now I need to send all the proof of payment to the insurer; Hopefully they'll get the payment to me before my CC bill comes so I don't get stung by the interest! :eek: 

• Like 6

Also a good idea not to wipe clean newly fitted windscreen from inside the first two days. Been advised by the fitter. 

• Like 3

Yeah that was my thought too, but it sucks because the off-gassing from the adhesive is putting a film on the windscreen that is making it mist up faster!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Cyker said:

These guys just had that black goop in a big slug that went into one of those piping tubes like you use for silicone. I quite liked the motorised drill attachment they were using - made for a very even and consistent bead compared to what I've managed attempting to do similar things with bathroom sealant and a manual pump!!

The windscreen goop is a lot tougher to pump via a manual gun then bathroom sealant, that's also a reason a motorised pump is preferred for the job along with the constant bead.

• Like 5

Yeah, the guy was saying he used to use a manual pump before the motorized ones became a thing, but after doing it manually for 30 years his hands were shot so he jumped at the chance of having a motorized one!

• Like 5

Cyker,  glad you got it sorted, it must be a relief to drive now without the crack in your eyeline and the worry it could get worse.👍

• Like 4

Thanks, I'm glad too! I was mostly over it by the 2nd month but it's still nice having that bit less anxiety in my life!!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

@Parts-King - Do you have your own people for glass stuff then or do you still outsource it but provide all the materials?

We have a trusted outsourced chap, works for himself, we supply all the parts and he fits it sublet. Good when you have somebody you can trust. We do all the calibration stuff afterwards 

• Like 7

Gah will it never end!! On the way to work I noticed several lines of drops running down the screen leaving trails of water. Activated the wipers - Went right over them... they were running down the inside of the window!! :eek: :crybaby: 

Now, I'm not 100% sure if it's leaking through the seal - It might just be extreme condensation, as it was freezing today and the windscreen is misting up like crazy. I can smell the adhesive still and I suspect it's coating the windscreen, making it much more susceptible to condensation, so I'll have to get out the soapy water and isopropyl and give it a damned good clean and see if that helps. I really really hope that's all it is... :unsure:

I'll have to make a note, to next time if I get a stone chip that requires a new windscreen, do it in summer...!

• Sad 6