Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car mauled by Baboons...question about electrics...help!

Baboon

So we went to Knowsley Safari Park...we could turn right to safety...or left through the Baboon enclosure...my wife encouraged me to go left..."It will be fun!". 

Fast forward 2 minutes...Baboons everywhere, pulling apart of my front trims...that was okay, I could take that...but then they started probing for weak spots and attacked my rear top braking light (the top middle one above the rear windscreen). Within seconds it was in pieces and the ring leader proceeded to pull on the cable and mock me...I tired to shake him off but couldn't and was asked to slow down (I was only going about 10mph but I wanted to get out of there). At one point I was contemplating getting out to challenge the offender...but I would likely have been mauled to death. Anyway...the back light was destroyed, they've given the wire where the light was a very good pull through the hole. It meets another bundle further inside the car then they vanish inside. Everything seems to work (apart from the light of course), but I'm worried it might have caused damage inside? How does the electric wiring work? If something was damaged can you remove small sections and replace? Or will the wire go all the way through the car? It's a Toyota Yaris 69 plate (2019). Reg GY69CZB.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

I know at longleat safari park they have got one or two scrap cars for the monkeys to play with I think this encourages them to play with the visitors cars it’s a certainty they would have got on your car in some countries they are a menace I have seen baboons breaking into cars in Africa to steal food.

as to repair of your high level break light it is possible to repair damaged sections but they need to be soldered if no fuses are being blown and the rear screen heater and the rest of the rear lights work then it’s likely the rest of the wire’s should be ok.

• Like 5

Have you asked the baboons for thier insurance details?

• Haha 12

You might find that, like many Baboons on the road today, they have no insurance 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Hope you can get it sorted without too much cost. 

Just realised OP adopted the namesake, you should have known what they are like! 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They probably have insurance, the problem is sitting down with them over a cup of PG Tips.  They may not take it seriously. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

To be fair Big_D, baboons have the highest rate of being insured among all the great apes and monkeys.

Some of the worst being the chimps,no sense of responsibility whatsoever, orangutans are thinking animals, and are mostly with saga, despite the expense.

Bonobos apparently prefer NFU, for the mutual benefits that double an average quote.

Gorillas seem to go for LV,a fair quote and no messing about.

However the very very worst, are the humans who just do not give a toss, and think road rage is an alternative to being insured.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

You could always try gorilla glue to stick them together. If you get the wires wrong it can send you bananas.🙊🍌

• Haha 7

Surprised you didn't go apeshit at this monkeying about. Shame you haven't got a Toyota Gorilla.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As your wife encouraged you to take that path, I'd suggest you let a Toyota dealer sort it out and give her the bill.

Do it now, so it's part of the divorce settlement😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

As your wife encouraged you to take that path

When mine suggested taking hers into such a place with some relatives (I wasn't present) I just said no way, and she could sort out the damage if she did.

She didn't ... though I think other factors than my opinion were more significant 😒

• Like 1

Well, that’s a similar experience when driving through many if not most streets of London, particularly in some specific areas. 🐒🚗🫢

For the damage cables you will need to look at each and it might be possible to repair individually, however dealers and garages does not like to do that and often advise to replace the entire electrical installation (wiring loom. )

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Well, that’s a similar experience when driving through many if not most streets of London, particularly in some specific areas. 🐒🚗🫢

For the damage cables you will need to look at each and it might be possible to repair individually, however dealers and garages does not like to do that and often advise to replace the entire electrical installation (wiring loom. )

I put the ha ha emoji in based on the first paragraph only.

And all joking aside, I do hope that the OP can get this fixed easily without too much expense.

Has someone already suggested hard soldering and shrink insulator sleeves yet .

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SouperChris said:

Is this about Audi/BMW drivers or actual baboons?

Please refrain from inflammatory language that baboons may find offensive.

• Haha 7

On 11/26/2022 at 7:24 PM, Baboon said:

but then they started probing for weak spots and attacked my rear top braking light (the top middle one above the rear windscreen). Within seconds it was in pieces and the ring leader proceeded to pull on the cable and mock me.

4 hours ago, SouperChris said:

Is this about Audi/BMW drivers or actual baboons?

I think those thought processes are probably beyond BMW drivers ... Audi - I'm really not sure. 

i-dunno-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links