Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T27 windscreen misting

Brn

2 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Agree with that! One of the suggestions I made back on Sunday on this topic but I'm only a mere Skoda owner. 🙄

Quite according to some. However they are a much underrated manufacturer / car.

John

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 11:39 PM, DerekHa said:

Another avenue you could investigate is the rear air vents, if they are blocked or not working properly they can stop the moisture laden air inside the cabin being vented out from the interior of the car.

I'm sorry, I didn't read that comment properly! I suggested the same in vain...

I was just recalling my own experiences with Carina from the 70s

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, avetoy said:

I'm sorry, I didn't read that comment properly! I suggested the same in vain...

I was just recalling my own experiences with Carina from the 70s

Hi Avetoy,

No need to apologise, we both had the same train of thought! Just throwing idea's at a problem in the hope somone can get a fix for their misty car.

• Like 2

Have been thinking about rear air vents on the Avensis and couldn't find any reference to them.

But have just come across an interesting image on the Bay showing the rear quarter panel of a Mk3 estate with the bumper striped off. There seems to be a vent or atleast a drain opening of some sort behind the rear wheel and hidden normally by the side of the rear bumper, the white oblong thingy.

If this has been blocked somehow it could cause a build up of moisture ladden air inside the vehicle allowing water to condense out when the glass cools.

But then again I'm a lowly Skoda owner.🙄

1376043907_avenisairvent.thumb.jpg.0ab76a180e7f1e96e2860dc1b529ebc3.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Have been thinking about rear air vents on the Avensis and couldn't find any reference to them.

But have just come across an interesting image on the Bay showing the rear quarter panel of a Mk3 estate with the bumper striped off. There seems to be a vent or atleast a drain opening of some sort behind the rear wheel and hidden normally by the side of the rear bumper, the white oblong thingy.

If this has been blocked somehow it could cause a build up of moisture ladden air inside the vehicle allowing water to condense out when the glass cools.

But then again I'm a lowly Skoda owner.🙄

That's an interesting place to put a vent... does not look an easy one to check.

DerekHA you are appreciated here mate.

But i still think it is hilarious that you are in the Avensis owners forum. Maybe this is your naughty secret fetish. 😉 Don't worry we won't tell on the Citigo forums. This is a safe place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brn said:

That's an interesting place to put a vent... does not look an easy one to check.

DerekHA you are appreciated here mate.

But i still think it is hilarious that you are in the Avensis owners forum. Maybe this is your naughty secret fetish. 😉 Don't worry we won't tell on the Citigo forums. This is a safe place.

Now thats what I thought when I came across it!

I wonder if everybody feels appreciatative Brn?

I do sort of own a Toyota, I bought my partner her C1 and it's a Aygo with a little disguise and I maintain it for her. It won't go well with some here, but my Skoda has higher miles and runs silky smooth and haven't had any issues so far, I think i'st a little more grown Up, 🤣

I'm on the Briskoda forum too, have been for more than a few years since my daughter (then son) had a Fabia. It had a various issues but then it had done 250K by the time it was sold on for a good price. As yet I haven't needed the forum for my Citigo but dare say that will change. The C1 has been another matter, resolved with help from Flash and Frosty and others.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brn said:

Just have to remove some plastics from the back. I've done it for cleaning and to see what the previous owners may have left there.

It was not difficult at all.

5 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Now thats what I thought when I came across it!

I wonder if everybody feels appreciatative Brn?

I do sort of own a Toyota, I bought my partner her C1 and it's a Aygo with a little disguise and I maintain it for her. It won't go well with some here, but my Skoda has higher miles and runs silky smooth and haven't had any issues so far, I think i'st a little more grown Up, 🤣

I'm on the Briskoda forum too, have been for more than a few years since my daughter (then son) had a Fabia. It had a various issues but then it had done 250K by the time it was sold on for a good price. As yet I haven't needed the forum for my Citigo but dare say that will change. The C1 has been another matter, resolved with help from Flash and Frosty and others.

Just teasing buddy, no hard feelings I hope.

I used to own a couple of Astras of different generations, then a Focus, then the Avensis. Growing in size together with the family. All had different issues, very dependent on design, manufacturing quality, type of use (abuse?) under me and in their precious lives, milage etc.

The perfect car is just a day dream. Some of my colleagues own higher end cars and the stories they are telling...  but because they are leasing them, they don't care much.

1 hour ago, avetoy said:

Just have to remove some plastics from the back. I've done it for cleaning and to see what the previous owners may have left there.

It was not difficult at all.

Do you mean the bumper and smaller bits underneath?

I have got a list of things to check, I just need to find time and good enough weather conditions to actually do it.

26 minutes ago, Brn said:

Do you mean the bumper and smaller bits underneath?

No, just the plastics inside from the trunk (compartments on the back of the wheels).

• Like 1

If windows are not misted up when you get in the car I leave AC off and select winsow screen & cabin setting the button is about halfway along then if its starts misting up in the corners turn on the AC by selecting the switch near the right hand side this also switches on the AC.

Note switches may need to press more than once for window screen setting.

Another question to the group. The rear quarter windows have heating wires in them, but don't demist together with the rear window. Is that an extra that wasn't specced for my car?

Like this

s-l1600.jpg

10 hours ago, Brn said:

The rear quarter windows have heating wires in them

I´ve been told it is a radio antenna? And it should be only in the right window...

At least in my cars (09&12) it is only on the right side.

4 hours ago, avetoy said:

I´ve been told it is a radio antenna? And it should be only in the right window...

I have a 2012 Avensis T-Spirit and it does not have any element in the rear quarter window.

Regards, John

4 hours ago, avetoy said:

Interesting idea, however I have got it on both windows and there is also a roof aerial. So I'm not convinced that they are aerials.

I have heard of cars where the aerial is in the windscreen around the edges. It makes sense there as it is not blocked by the metal chassis.

I have the radio with the DAB option, but no DAB aerial is fitted. I asked Toyota about fitting one and they quoted me £500(!) in 2020.

20221202_135533.jpg

20221202_135600.jpg

20221202_135603.jpg

Out of curiosity, I looked at the owner's manual, which says that the wagon model has two antennas: one on the roof and one in the rear side window. In the sedan model, the antenna is integrated into the rear window.

However, different countries have different equipment.

18 minutes ago, avetoy said:

Out of curiosity, I looked at the owner's manual, which says that the wagon model has two antennas: one on the roof and one in the rear side window. In the sedan model, the antenna is integrated into the rear window.

However, different countries have different equipment.

A Toyota dealer confirmed to me that the wires in the right-hand rear window of my UK T27 estate are the DAB antenna.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brn said:

Interesting idea, however I have got it on both windows and there is also a roof aerial. So I'm not convinced that they are aerials.

I have heard of cars where the aerial is in the windscreen around the edges. It makes sense there as it is not blocked by the metal chassis.

I have the radio with the DAB option, but no DAB aerial is fitted. I asked Toyota about fitting one and they quoted me £500(!) in 2020.

20221202_135533.jpg

20221202_135600.jpg

20221202_135603.jpg

Correction is due. My bad.

The left window does not have the wires all over, just on the left edge. It was bright at the time, the window is tonted and I did not have the key with me to check from the inside 🫢

5 hours ago, Cessna said:

A Toyota dealer confirmed to me that the wires in the right-hand rear window of my UK T27 estate are the DAB antenna.

Really? Hmmm ... How is it supposed to be connected to the radio unit?

I had okce found Toyota retrofit DAB kit instructions that is attached to the top left corner of the windscreen.

16 hours ago, Cessna said:

Like I wrote earlier: different countries,different equipment.

My owners manuals say: DAP tuner and antenna are accessories (=go to Mr. T if you want them).

UPDATE

So I had time this afternoon to check things out. Here is what I did and pics of it.

I checked the A/C drain pipe in the passenger footwell. It was bone dry. I ran the A/C for a while, but the air was dry, so couldn't observe it working.

I have removed the left side cowling from under the windscreen, where the blower is taking air in from. It was empty and dry.

Moved to the boot. Well... Couple of pieces of trim right? Anyways.

The cabin air exhausts are clean on both sides.

However, I have found evidence of water leaking inside by the rear door seal. I think it wasn't it its proper place. Sometimes the door gets stuck and pulls the seal away. Found that the extended outer edge was not in its proper place. At least that what I hope was the reason. Or else the seal is worn or stretched.

So it took most of it out and let it dry. 

20221203_170710.jpg

20221203_170650.jpg

20221203_170638.jpg

20221203_160638.jpg

20221203_153920.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Barna,

Just a thought on what you've found. Looking at your first and third images of the lower edge of the rear tail gate opening there is rusting which to my mind would mean water has somehow run up hill to enter the wheel well.

Would suggest before you commit to putting everything back in place, refit the rubber door seal as best you can and then close the tail gate get your garden hose or watering can and douse the door opening with water. Best if you get an assistant to help you, someone inside the rear load area to watch and see where the water is actually coming in. You may well find it's higher up than it seems.

Have just had a close look your third image and looking at the right hand side of the boot there looks to be a stain/watermark on the mastic where the floor joins the body panel just behind the wheel arch. Also just a bit further forward, between your vacuum brush and the back of the rear seat, there's a noticable rusty mark close to the wheel arch. Is it possible the drivers rear quarter glass seal is leaking also?

• Like 1

That is sound advice DerekHA.

And yes, it is not out of the realm of possibility that there are multiple leaks.

• Thanks 1

Good luck with your search for how that wet stuff is getting inside your Avensis, certainly sounds like you'r on the right track to curing your misty windows. 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links