Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T27 windscreen misting

Brn

On 12/2/2022 at 8:23 PM, Brn said:

Really? Hmmm ... How is it supposed to be connected to the radio unit?

I had okce found Toyota retrofit DAB kit instructions that is attached to the top left corner of the windscreen.

I guess there are two connecting wires for the DAB antenna from the side, top or bottom of the glass, similar to the rear demister. Although probably not as heavy duty due to the slightly lower current flowing in a DAB antenna circuit! Those wires are then routed back to the head unit through the vehicle's wiring loom, in the same way that the AM/FM antenna wires are.

As for the retrofit kit, that may be a cheaper generic optic for a range of models. I suspect it would be rather expensive to have a rear window replaced with one with a built-in DAB antenna, especially if the wiring loom wasn't wired ready for it.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:42 AM, avetoy said:

Like I wrote earlier: different countries,different equipment.

(deleted)

Sunday Update

I got more trim off from around the right rear quarter window, but did not see any sign of water ingress.

20221204_112150.thumb.jpg.a91dd3b3614420f426f0ad432c25e11c.jpg20221204_103713.thumb.jpg.006d0c9a1dbeb7f54b48f9204d004440.jpg

So i went back to the original suspect: tailgate seal.

Got my son to spray water on the car, while I was checking from the inside. I did not see water coming in, while it was running.

However, when we opened the tailgate, about a minute later there were a few drops. Some were dripping off the tailgate. But in the right bottom corner, at about the height of the light, there is a spot where 3 layers if metal overlap. Water was coming out of there and running down. 20221204_112139.thumb.jpg.34aabbcd598f88d7279a5551637a9f88.jpg

I took the light out, but it wasn't that.

So here is my theory. The water got in due to 3 factors.

1. The seal wasn't in its place properly. You can see on one of thenpucs, how the outer edge can be folded up by the bumper or the rear light housing. 20221204_113743.thumb.jpg.0738a5a1410d6e1bfcdd959ac3f4fc00.jpg20221204_113805.thumb.jpg.223cf3e202c98de92a42b42b9441c3dd.jpg

2. There was dirt build up under the seal outer edge which prevented it from seating properly on the chassis. 20221204_115830.thumb.jpg.85f2318ab1c2073a1a978ddbeb95d939.jpg

3. There are 2 or 3 layers of metal overlapping, which form the lip that the seal is pushed onto. There is a rubber like, dark grey sealant that is supposed to seal that lip. It has come out, degraded over time, allowing water in. I have smoothed it out, bbacking the gaps and spread it out to cover all gaps. 20221204_115202.thumb.jpg.f1bb6f87fa41c11ca8aa912fc1e46e1c.jpg20221204_114638.thumb.jpg.914c84939bad25fbbf39a98a0e93cd0d.jpg

I think all 3 play a part in varying degrees eventually allowing water in.

I hope I have solved it, but probably a new seal and more sealant would be the ultimate solution.

I had a look, but the seal is not a common item online..... maybe a breaker will post one on the Bay once in a while. Maybe one from a late model would do the trick.

20221204_112139.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cessna said:

I guess there are two connecting wires for the DAB antenna from the side, top or bottom of the glass, similar to the rear demister. Although probably not as heavy duty due to the slightly lower current flowing in a DAB antenna circuit! Those wires are then routed back to the head unit through the vehicle's wiring loom, in the same way that the AM/FM antenna wires are.

As for the retrofit kit, that may be a cheaper generic optic for a range of models. I suspect it would be rather expensive to have a rear window replaced with one with a built-in DAB antenna, especially if the wiring loom wasn't wired ready for it.

Hey Cessna,

I was able to take a good look at the rear quarter window. You are right, there are connections soldered onto the glass and 2 sets of wires are running into various looms. One actually goes into a box of some sort.

I have never taken the head unit out to see the connections to it. Maybe these systems are physically built, because it is running the length of the car , but if it is not specced when bought, a last connection or bridge is not made.

20221204_103713.jpg

20221204_103723.jpg

20221204_103719.jpg

• Like 3

According to sellers on the Bay, the box is antenna signal amplifier and it looks like it connects to both the roof and the window aerials. So one side of the window is part of the AM/FM aerial.

21 minutes ago, Brn said:

Hey Cessna,

I was able to take a good look at the rear quarter window. You are right, there are connections soldered onto the glass and 2 sets of wires are running into various looms. One actually goes into a box of some sort.

Really interesting to see the photos, thanks for posting them. I hope your leak fix works too, you've done a lot of work trying to solve it and it does sound promising.

Hi Again,

The only thing I could think of looking that Toyota unit is that it would be an aeriel amp. A car body makes a very good Faraday cage and would down grade any radio signals without them being amplified, DAB more so than either AM or FM.

Looking at your third photo, of the area where you found water working it's way out, where the drips you found actually coming from between the three body panel edges or just coming from under the rubber door seal at that location?

3 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Hi Again,

The only thing I could think of looking that Toyota unit is that it would be an aeriel amp. A car body makes a very good Faraday cage and would down grade any radio signals without them being amplified, DAB more so than either AM or FM.

Looking at your third photo, of the area where you found water working it's way out, where the drips you found actually coming from between the three body panel edges or just coming from under the rubber door seal at that location?

The water seeping out from between the panels, where they are overlapped. That's why I started looking at where it could be getting in.

If this does not fix it, I will be removing the roof rail covers to see how sealed the seems are there. There is also some moss and algae build up in the crevices.

3 hours ago, Cessna said:

Really interesting to see the photos, thanks for posting them. I hope your leak fix works too, you've done a lot of work trying to solve it and it does sound promising.

Cheers mate. I am also proud that I broke only one clip in the process, despite having assembled and disassembled certain areas several times.

6 minutes ago, Brn said:

The water seeping out from between the panels, where they are overlapped. That's why I started looking at where it could be getting in.

If this does not fix it, I will be removing the roof rail covers to see how sealed the seems are there. There is also some moss and algae build up in the crevices.

Sounds like you're definately on the right track then. You've done well mate and taken some excellent photo's. Not the best weather for trying to sort anything like this out. 🥶

Hope you get to bottom, or should that be top, of your leak and misting problem soon. 👍

But the story didn't end there. No no no...

After I put the boot back together, I went back to the car to check the radio. Good thing I did that, because the car wouldn't start due to a low Battery. Cold sweat ran down my back when I thought of the missus calling in the morning, whe she wants to leave for the school, already late, after fighting for an hour with the kids to get ready... not a mental state u want to have a conversation about how it is all my fault.

Anyway, have a spare Battery, let's put it in. All went well, until I dropped the Battery clamp bolt. Heard it hitting something plastic. By that time it was dark. Peeped all around the enginebay for it. Didn't find it. It must have fallen onto the plastic bottom covers. So I spent almost 2 hours, taking those off, lying on the cold tarmac crawling under the car, the car on a jack . To find it on top of the engine....🙄🤬😫

The Battery was low, because the dome or boot light  wason the whole time I was working in the back😳

To continue the radio topic.

The head unit has DAB function according to the buttons and the manual as well.

But it is not active in my car. Not sure what activates it.

20221204_153951.jpg

20221204_154121.jpg

18 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

Sounds like you're definately on the right track then. You've done well mate and taken some excellent photo's. Not the best weather for trying to sort anything like this out. 🥶

Hope you get to bottom, or should that be top, of your leak and misting problem soon. 👍

The stress and cussing kept me warm. 😅

I'm feeling all that cold for you Barna! I can imagine how stressed you were thinking about the grief you would get in the morning from your other half.😕 Oh that horrible sinking feeling when you realised.

Happened in my Citigo when I fitted some carpet in tiny boot area, nearly flat Battery (such a tiny thing too) had forgotten the door was open and the interior light was on! No spare either but an overnight charge sorted it out.

Flash or Frosty will be your best bet on that Barna.

Just looked at the site you linked to. Did you notice in the bottom lefthand corner (on a PC) there's an option to select Europe which brings up all the names we're familiar with here.

1 hour ago, Brn said:

Is this the right place to look up part numbers? https://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/avensis/

If yes, what does it mean if my frame number is not recognised? Counterfeit Avensis?😂

Hope you don't have to go through what that may mean if it's not recognised Barna! ☹️

Oooops sorry, I need me glasses on, it's already the europe link I see now.😫

32 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

Hope you don't have to go through what that may mean if it's not recognised Barna! ☹️

I was just joking. It is defo UK car from new. Purchased and serviced in Steven Eagell.

9 minutes ago, Brn said:

I was just joking. It is defo UK car from new. Purchased and serviced in Steven Eagell.

Well thats a relief!🙄

On 11/27/2022 at 9:07 PM, Brn said:

Hi Folks,

I feel, that in my 2010 T27 estate 1.8 petrol the windscreen fogs up to much and too often and clears very slow. I would like to gauge what it is like for other owners, before starting to look for faults and leaks. It has the dual zone climate control option.

Yes, unfortunately we have to use it for short school runs more often than I can avoid feeling guilty about it. (But need to work as well, so walking cycling is not always an option)

A/C does clear the windscreen on the demist function after 4-5 minutes idling on a chilli, 4-10 degrees, humid morning with the windows cracked open. Is this normal demist speed or slow?

Then, when the engine or the A/C is switched off, the windscreen starts fogging up. Is this normal or indicative of a fault (blocked a/c drain?) or a leak into the car?

(I do miss the heated windscreen of my previous car, but I don't miss the distorted night visibility it gave.)

Had the same problem with my C_HR untill I soaked up and dryed a large 6/8mm  deep puddle under the boot covering, if not there try feeling and looking under the front carpets for evidence of a leak? Best of luck.

12 hours ago, Brn said:

I am also proud that I broke only one clip in the process, despite having assembled and disassembled certain areas several times.

You can be really proud of yourself anyway when you've already done such a big job.

Respect!

One more possible place for water: inside the front doors. Very unlikely of course, but what if the water holes at the bottom of the doors are blocked?

1 hour ago, avetoy said:

You can be really proud of yourself anyway when you've already done such a big job.

Respect!

One more possible place for water: inside the front doors. Very unlikely of course, but what if the water holes at the bottom of the doors are blocked?

Yes I will need to check those. Didn't get round to them. I still think that the side windows seals are crap and don't do their job properly.

What's the best way to look up part numbers for these and the tailgate seal?

10 hours ago, A T said:

Had the same problem with my C_HR untill I soaked up and dryed a large 6/8mm  deep puddle under the boot covering, if not there try feeling and looking under the front carpets for evidence of a leak? Best of luck.

I have checked the passenger carpet when I was looking at the AC drain, but everything was dry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links