Do Not Sell My Personal Information

driving current-Gen 2021-2023 hybrid in Power mode versus Normal mode?

ACID

Hello everyone

I am on a very long (told by dealt it is >12 months+!) waiting list for a 2023 Yaris hatchback, hybrid 1.5.

I am located "down under" in Australia.

I have a question re driving modes for this car (or any other modern >=2021-2023 hybrid Toyota models?).

Question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of permanently driving a hybrid such as Yaris (2021+) in Power mode over Normal mode?

One obvious disadvantage is reduced fuel economy in Power (by how much?).

Any other pros and cons of Power versus Normal ?

Will Power mode affect longevity/reliability of hybrid?

Wear and tear on the components and Battery?

Will performance really be improved or its a fantasy/mirage?

I am trying to figure out if Power mode is mostly a gimmick on modern Toyota hybrids and I should just leave it in Normal mode 100% of the time.

If I floored the accelerator in Normal mode I suspect that I will get identical performance to Power mode.

Here is what I found: Hybrid driving tips for best fuel economy - Toyota UK Magazine

It says (quote): 

"These drive modes are: EV Mode where the car is powered by the Battery only during city driving, running near-silent and with no tailpipe emissions; Eco Mode that reduces A/C output and lessens throttle response to limit harsh acceleration; and Power Mode which boosts acceleration by using the hybrid Battery to assist the petrol engine."

Does driving in Normal mode boost acceleration if I floor the pedal, just like Power Mode does?

thank you very much

Edited by ACID
more info from Toyota

In pretty much every car these days these modes basically cripple some accessories, like AC, and alter the profile of the accelerator pedal ... ie. How much oomph per mm of travel you get. (You can buy adapters on eBay that do the same thing.)

Your post suggests you aren't an idiot, so unless a mode has a display you particularly like just leave it in the default normal and adjust the heating/cooling and the pressure on your right foot to get what you want, economy or power (within what the car is physically capable of), in real time.

It really is that simple, though social media will tell you otherwise.

• Like 2

You can definitely feel the difference under hard acceleration but it isn’t a big difference.   I had a 2022 Lexus NX and that would virtually launch in power mode but it has a lot more EV batteries.  I suspect it still reaches full Battery and engine power but at a different throttle position as Mike says.  It’s all very subjective without instrumentation and the mind is a powerful weapon.  

• Like 2

All three will deliver full power if the pedal is floored, it just changes how they get there; Normal is the baseline linear response, Eco mode requires more pedal input initially to request the same power as Normal, but ramps up quickly towards the end, and Power make the pedal very sensitive at the low end so the car feels like it pulls a lot harder but this tails off towards the end.

I prefer Eco mod as I drive in a lot of slow traffic and the extra required pedal travel allows more finesse. At motorway speeds it's a lot less comfortable as you have to push the pedal in so much more to hold higher speeds; Normal or Power would probably be more comfortable (When I get to such speeds I usually cut in the cruise control tho' :laugh: )

I have found switching the car to Normal when it's full of people keeps it as responsive as it does in Eco mode so I don't have to adjust my driving so much!

TBH, it's all down to personal preference - The best thing to do is start off with Normal to get a feel for it, then just play around with the different settings to find what suits you best.

• Like 2