Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 d-4d reliability (2013 model)

Jsmalling

Hi all! 

I'm a new member, excited to be here. I'm a current owner but I'm thinking of trading my current Yaris to a 2013 (62 plate) mk4? RAV4 with service history and 60k miles but i am hearing mixed messages over the reliability.

Some are saying the engine 2.2 D-4D is problematic, a friend of mine used to work for Toyota and mentioned the dual fly wheel? 

I'm being slowly put off the 2.2 engine which is a real shame as the car I've found looks decent. 

I'd be grateful for your thoughts and if there are known headgasket or other common problems specifically with this engine.

Thanks! 

There were oil consumption/head gasket issues with early versions of the 2.2, but these were rectified in vehicles produced after December 2008. 

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There were oil consumption/head gasket issues with early versions of the 2.2, but these were rectified in vehicles produced after December 2008. 

Thanks for coming back to me. This is the general view I've managed to find online, ie I can't see much in terms of forum posts on the later models (post 2012/13) and a lot seem to relate to pre 2009 cars.

Thanks again! 

Two questions:

1. Is the car manual or automatic?
  2. What is your journey profile? Specifically does it include regular longer journeys?

I ran a 2013 4.4 D-CAT automatic for seven years ('till 2020) - it was utterly faultless ... 🙂

The automatic includes the fifth injector and emissions control system necessary to stay within Euro 5 diesel emissions regulations which it does extremely well but it does rely on regular longer runs to keep the DNPR clean and soot free. If you only ever do short journeys you are probably better off with petrol than diesel.

The manual can manage without the emissions control stuff - and has higher emissions as a result. So it is simpler and there is less to go wrong ... hence the questions above ... 😉

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Two questions:

1. Is the car manual or automatic?
  2. What is your journey profile? Specifically does it include regular longer journeys?

I ran a 2013 4.4 D-CAT automatic for seven years ('till 2020) - it was utterly faultless ... 🙂

The automatic includes the fifth injector and emissions control system necessary to stay within Euro 5 diesel emissions regulations which it does extremely well but it does rely on regular longer runs to keep the DNPR clean and soot free. If you only ever do short journeys you are probably better off with petrol than diesel.

The manual can manage without the emissions control stuff - and has higher emissions as a result. So it is simpler and there is less to go wrong ... hence the questions above ... 😉

Hello Phillip, glad to know your experience was great!  The car I am buying is manual and journey profile will be predominantly shorter journeys in city environment about 12 mile return but with at least one longer journey per week (20-30 miles incl return leg, mainly on the motorway and A road).

Would be great to hear if anyone else has any views many thanks 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links