Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris or Yaris Cross as new learner car

TonyHSD

Well, seen Toyota post about a driving instructor with her recent Yaris hybrid. Good story to read and me thinking eventually as a carrier opportunity what would it be the best car for the job - driving instructor with own car?  
-Yaris, Yaris cross or perhaps a Corolla hatchback?  
Do you think automatic cars has brighter future into the business of teaching students to drive? With auto industry changes and becomes greener more hybrids and electric cars on the road more and more youngsters perhaps are going for automatic license only, it’s easier to learn and future proof, what do you guys think on that matter? Any advice or personal opinions are welcome. 
Thank you. 
https://mag.toyota.co.uk/driving-instructor/

• Like 1

Having driven several Yaris's as service loan cars in the last couple of years and also having driven a Yaris Cross on a test drive with my partner, I believe that the Yaris cross would make the better learner car of the two as I found it to have better all round visibility. I would say that it also has better visibility than my Corolla.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The shift to auto have been on going for a number of years, hybrid and electric which are mainly automatic, there is no need to learn in a manual anymore imo. 

Yaris is great, if need the practicality and have the finance then YC. 

Toyota install free dual controls on new car order for driving instructor. 

• Thanks 1

Some new drivers and particularly most of the girls will probably prefer classic Yaris as it’s smaller size., that is perhaps a thing for consideration., otherwise my personal choice will be the Corolla as it feels like more premium car to me with nicer interior materials and more comfortable seats. If I have to be honest I like all of these Yaris, Yaris Cross and Corolla almost equally. 👍

I first went automatic around 10 years ago and don’t think I’d ever go back to a manual.  Most modern automatics are a vast improvement on the older versions and are becoming more popular.  Once or twice a year I visit Australia, where just like the USA, most of the cars are automatic.  With increasing numbers of hybrid and fully electric cars being built for a global market, it’s no surprise automatics or e-transmissions are the way forward.  

Despite the upsurge and popularity of modern automatics, at the moment, it might be a little early to risk a driving school business which excludes potential customers who want to take the manual route.  At the end of the day, it will be a fine balancing act to see which business model appeals most.  Nevertheless, I think it’s pretty clear that eventually automatics will become the number one choice.

• Like 3

I feel that you need to learn to drive in a manual as it allows you to drive both a manual and an automatic after passing your driving test.

Although I love the automatic and find it relaxing and easy to drive, the manual gearbox is still proper  "driving"  and knowing how to drive a manual is in my opinion the best way to start driving.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

I feel that you need to learn to drive in a manual as it allows you to drive both a manual and an automatic after passing your driving test.

Although I love the automatic and find it relaxing and easy to drive, the manual gearbox is still proper  "driving"  and knowing how to drive a manual is in my opinion the best way to start driving.

I've got to agree here. Whilst I love driving my Corolla Hybrid, I get greater satisfaction driving my Swift Sport and the household runabout/Aygo. However to do any distance or for the commute the Corolla is just so much easier!

• Like 4

I learned to drive in a long wheelbase Land Rover in the early 70s and it took a bit of skill to keep the gear changes smooth and slick as possible.  Changed days with fully automatic, DSG and CVT boxes now available.  As I said before, don’t think I could go back to a manual but I do get the odd urge to relive my youth and take a Land Rover off road.  Don’t like to boast but I was a member of the elite SGS (Special Ground Service).  😉

• Like 5

I find it a bit sad as I see it as part of the general dumbing down and lowering of driving standards - It is much easier to pass in an auto as you don't need to demonstrate the ability to apply any of the control or finesse that you do with a manual, but given you won't be able to buy a manual car at all soon, and that cars are already at the point where they can unilaterally take control away from the driver, it's all a bit moot.

I have idly wondered what will happen with the licensing 'tho - Will we become like the USA, where you can pass in an auto but are then allowed to drive a manual, as eventually it becomes unreasonable to pass in a manual due to lack of availability??

I have already been seeing Mk4's as driving school vehicles - Even some Launch Edition ones!!! :eek: 

• Like 4

I agree with you however after few years 2030 onwards there will be no manual cars available to buy new except some high performance sports cars. This alone will make “proper driving” obsolete plus many new drivers prefer everything to be easy and fast, they will have higher chances of passing their test with automatic transmission. What perhaps may stop some new drivers to go auto will be availability and affordability of automatic ( hybrid and electric) cars currently and jobs opportunities. Most driving jobs require a full license. The business is interesting and perhaps the government may change the definition of full license and accept an automatic license as full in near future. 

On the subject, 

do you think the cross may scare some potential students because is slightly bigger car and an suv style ? Been talking to some girls previously and they had called my Auris a big car 🫢 and Yaris cross gives fake feelings of been even bigger than my Auris . I know someone here is a driving instructor with Corolla hybrid, perhaps he can see t(e post and give his thoughts. 👍

• Like 3

Tony, I was taught in a BSM Hillman Minx (probably the instructors car).  My wife was taught in a small car but failed as she could not release the hand brake ; it had just been serviced. 

She passed her second test in my SAAB 99. The examiner was surprised and possibly a little nervous and commented on the car. 

• Like 4

It’s amazing how your wants, needs and desires change as you get older - steady, this is a family friendly forum.  As an example, in my younger days, I was impressed with  BHP (brake horse power) top speed, 0-60 mph times and road holding capabilities.  Nowadays, the first question I ask myself is - can I get in and out of the car without aggravating my back and hip pain.  This is another reason for choosing the extra height of the Yaris Cross to make driving a little bit easier.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The YC is shorter than the corolla, it only looks bigger because its a crossover. Once the student drive the car they will get used to it. There are instructors in the Midlands that are using Kona, Niro & Leaf. 

If practicality is not needed or less cash then the normal Yaris. If needed and have the extra cash then YC. 

Talking of being younger, i still want good amount of bhp etc now. But it's about being sensible and getting the balance right. 

• Like 4

I think you older drivers should get a higher entitlement for learning in such cars! :laugh: I can't imagine trying to do a hill start or 3-point turn on a highly cambered road in those cars! :eek: :laugh:

I wonder what it's like in the trucking world - Are they all automatic now or do you still have to be able to drive a manual truck?

@TonyHSD - It would have scared me - I've always gravitated to small cars, but judging by how many AA Driving School Ford Hausfrauenpanzer Pumas I've been seeing I guess not!! I was already scared when they switched to 1.8litre Ford Focus', but seeing a mass of AA Pumas coming at me from all directions at a junction is like something out of a Stephen King novel! :eek: :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Oh, Cyker you’ve got me started!  The Land Rover that I still love, only had synchromesh in 3rd and 4th gears.  For the first 2 gears you had to do a double de-clutch manoeuvre to keep things moving smoothly.  Commonly known as a “crash box”, for obvious reasons, if your timing was slightly out, the noise from the gearbox and clutch was horrendous. Happy days!

• Like 4

I have heard rumours of such arcane and mystical devices as the synchro-less gearbox and wondered how the heck did anyone get around without having to repair the gearbox every other week?! :eek: :laugh: 

Or is that why the older generations tend to be more hands on with repairing car things... :unsure: :laugh: 

• Like 3

One thing I forgot to consider - The effect all these autonomous safety systems in the car would have on a learner?

I think if I had been a learner with my Mk4 it might have put me off a bit, as all the false lane departure beeps, and BRAKE! warnings etc. going off would have not helped with that newbie nervousness!

And when the auto-brake goes off it's a bit of a shock if you're not used to it, esp. the nasty grinding ratchety sound it makes.

Then again that knowledge that you can't actually crash the car might be reassuring... but then again it might also give bad habits!

I still have trouble parking the Mk4 because of the awful rear visibility, and the parking sensors throwing off my spacial awareness and make me second guess myself (When they go BEEEEEEEEP! there's still so much space, but it makes you think you're about to collide!)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

I still have trouble parking the Mk4 because of the awful rear visibility, and the parking sensors throwing off my spacial awareness and make me second guess myself (When they go BEEEEEEEEP! there's still so much space, but it makes you think you're about to collide!)

Try parking a C-HR in a early 1970s built council garage.

The parking sensors all round just go bonkers 🤣

PXL_20220110_100159323.jpg

• Haha 5

My gf car when reversing and detects objects behind even away like 3 feet switches to N and stops , and me old school driver think what t .. just had happened?! 
My Auris never do that, it’s a better car 😂👍

Cyker you are correct, the drivers are spoiled by the new safety tech and misconceptions about it and how it works. You see, many does not check tyre pressures because they have monitoring systems, brake at the very last moment because they have abs and emergency braking, accelerating super fast because they have traction control, use cruise controls even in not suitable environment but the car can do it and the list goes on and on and when the situation exceed the car abilities to react correctly then accidents happens. 
Until drivers can interact and take control over the car they will be the captain of the vehicle, but many are already a passengers. 👍

• Like 2

I was just thinking if somebody learnt to drive and then passed their test in the new Yaris how would they cope going in to an older automatic with a handbrake.

• Like 4

They will adapt without too much problem I think. Handbrake will not be needed on the whole, just for parking. 

• Like 2

What makes a good driver better one is starting from an old car and slowly progressing upward to newer, modern and nicer vehicles.
These days this is almost impossible and for some rich kids they don’t even know what a manual transmission means or handbrake or a clutch,….🫢

My learner car back in 1998 was a Moskvich azlk 2141 from 1992, a horrible car to drive but was so much fun plus I had stories to tell one of which was a flat rear tyre when I was driving. I asked my teacher what we were doing and he replied “ go out and change it with the spare one” , as I did so., what a success for a 17 years old boy with only bicycle experience. Will this happen todays in current driving schools, I don’t think so. 
Lessons on snow and ice were the most enjoyable of the whole learning process as those made the steering wheel lighter than usual heavy one with no steering assist at all. Handbrake start on hill, what handbrake, the instructor said “ the handbrake never worked even when the car was brand new 😂  hahah

And this is how all started with my driving life. Got a driving job after that and all my work been connected to some sort of driving.
I am now on my 1 000 000km journey as half of that is done on Toyota hybrids. Perhaps should buy a Yaris and start teaching students how to drive or how to change spare wheels 😂, or perhaps both 👍

• Like 5

You do see a lot more auto only schools these days, and I think it's a mistake.  Even with mandated EV, manual cars will still be around for a long time.

My daughter specifically wanted to learn manual so she would be able to do both.

Funny thing with the handbrake though - I keep forgetting to take it off in the Aygo as I've had cars with electric ones for years now.  I'm getting deskilled 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Try parking a C-HR in a early 1970s built council garage.

The parking sensors all round just go bonkers 🤣

PXL_20220110_100159323.jpg

Oooh that is pretty tight! :shutup:

I absolutely could not park in that with the sensors going BEEEEEEEEEEEE the whole way :eek: 

I do sometimes think the driving license should be a bit more like the motorcycle license, and you have to do your time on a rubbish underpowered car before you can get a bigger more powerful one.

While I hated the horrible BSM Corsa I learned in, it did force me to learn epic clutch control! One of my proudest moments was doing a steep hill start in that thing without over-revving the engine, perfectly balanced all forces for a smooth unhurried takeoff :yahoo: (Ignoring the many many stalls and grinding and cursing that proceeded it :laugh: 

You can tell when someone's learned in a diesel car and then bought a petrol for their first car as they really struggle to move off on an incline :laugh:  And the amount of 3.0L+ turbo SUVs with L-plates on them wandering along the A406 is not doing my nervous disposition any good!!! :eek: 

• Like 4