Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris or Yaris Cross as new learner car

TonyHSD

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

I have heard rumours of such arcane and mystical devices as the synchro-less gearbox

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

And when the auto-brake goes off it's a bit of a shock if you're not used to it, esp. the nasty grinding ratchety sound it makes.

Old tech v new tech but they both sound the same 😁

• Haha 1

Corolla 1.2t manual seems like a good choice then , plus it has this extra rev matching so difficult to stall., students should be happy. The problem is that I don’t want to drive manual as my person car as it’s simply going from a fan drive into a hell just only after one late morning going home and get stuck in the impossible traffic jams on M1 and the likes. , the hybrids are unbeatable for that and one car fit all for me may work better. 

• Like 2

Haha I just had a thought, learning to drive in a GR4 Yaris :laugh: 

I mean, that's manual too, so it counts! :naughty: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I drove diesel manuals for quite a few years so I tend to drive all manuals like a diesel now, and I've had to learn the Aygo does not like this. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think it's good to drive a larger car.

I passed my test when I was 21 in 1999 and then drove my Nans hatchback Volvo 340 1.4 for 5 years as a named driver with Direct Line. I even built up a NCB! 

My first car was a 1986 Volvo 740 estate. 2.3 litre. Paid £425 for it and had it for 5 years while renovating and living in France. Both Volvo's Manual.

Then a manual new LHD, Manual, Toyota Corolla 1.4 D4D in France.

A few years later sold the Toyota and looking for a cheap replacement.

Bought a 1989 Volvo 240GLT Auto in 2009 for £350 in Birmingham on 159,410 miles. This was an automatic! Drove it to France the next day after taxing it etc and 5 cheap budget tyres. Drove lovely and got used to the left foot doing nothing.

Had the 240 for 10 years and sold it, at 234,000miles after buying a 1996 Volvo 940 SE lpt auto estate 2 years prior. Still have this as my workhorse. Enjoy driving it! Now on 207,000 miles.

Also have a Toyota Auris hybrid. Like it's economy and cheap running costs.

I like auto's for the go cart like abilities in stop start traffic. kickdown can be quite amusing/fun.

James.

• Like 5

Had a few diesels in my day but I’m glad I’ve made the leap over to hybrid.  Just looked at the price of diesel today which which justifies my decision in terms of cost. Of course, there are other reasons which forum members will also appreciate.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I drove diesel manuals for quite a few years so I tend to drive all manuals like a diesel now, and I've had to learn the Aygo does not like this. 😂

Yeah it's really painful going from a diesel back to a petrol - You really miss that diesel torque!!

Thankfully the new hybrids have that low-end torque in *spades*! :naughty: 

• Like 4

I'm totally converted to automatic boxes of any sort now, but my first car cost me five quid, and was an early perpendicular Ford Prefect from pre-war days. It went, after a fashion, but it was a good thing the MoT hadn't been thought of yet. I learnt in seven hours on an Austin A30, shoehorned in alongside a sturdy ex naval chap who ran the one-man outfit.

The problem I see is youngsters learning on a cvt or auto , passing their test and not being able to afford/find a small cheap auto to help keep the insurance down. There seems to be a lot of small cheapish manual cars out there, but not a lot of autos.

By the way, I passed my test in 1956. The years of experience don't necessarily make me a better driver, just an older and more cautious one :o)

ps I really do love my Mk4 Design Yaris . . . . . . .

• Like 6

On 12/1/2022 at 7:59 AM, Jimota said:

That’s what I call precision parking.

Thanks - also gets better with practice. 

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/2/2022 at 8:34 PM, Mike1394 said:

I'm totally converted to automatic boxes of any sort now, but my first car cost me five quid, and was an early perpendicular Ford Prefect from pre-war days. It went, after a fashion, but it was a good thing the MoT hadn't been thought of yet. I learnt in seven hours on an Austin A30, shoehorned in alongside a sturdy ex naval chap who ran the one-man outfit.

The problem I see is youngsters learning on a cvt or auto , passing their test and not being able to afford/find a small cheap auto to help keep the insurance down. There seems to be a lot of small cheapish manual cars out there, but not a lot of autos.

By the way, I passed my test in 1956. The years of experience don't necessarily make me a better driver, just an older and more cautious one 🐵

ps I really do love my Mk4 Design Yaris . . . . . . .

Well done Mike 👍

My wife started to learn in a driving school Yaris, and is one of the reasons we bought one.

The size suits her, and is relatively easy to park.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2022 at 7:04 PM, Cyker said:

Yeah it's really painful going from a diesel back to a petrol - You really miss that diesel torque!!

Thankfully the new hybrids have that low-end torque in *spades*! :naughty: 

On the very short test drive 7 months ago, I didn’t really appreciate or can remember any significant torque flexibility.  Hopefully, I can fully test this when my car arrives later this month, next month or whenever.

Better still, a local driving school has changed their late 3rd generation Yaris's for new Aygo X's in both manual and automatic versions, which gives the learners a choice of learning in either manual or auto cars.

• Like 4

I've been teaching in the M4 Yaris Hybrid for a while now, taught manual since 1993 and will never go back, fantastic car and dream to drive and teach in, I don't come home with headaches anymore 😅... 

All the pupils love it and want to own one 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jbspurs66 said:

I've been teaching in the M4 Yaris Hybrid for a while now, taught manual since 1993 and will never go back, fantastic car and dream to drive and teach in, I don't come home with headaches anymore 😅... 

All the pupils love it and want to own one 

Thank you 🙏 

This is what I was waiting to hear 👌 
I don’t think I will go back to manual unless is gr4 Yaris or similar, but that is very different driving school we are talking about. 
🛞👍🏁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Thank you 🙏 

This is what I was waiting to hear 👌 
I don’t think I will go back to manual unless is gr4 Yaris or similar, but that is very different driving school we are talking about. 
🛞👍🏁

You won't regret it for a second, so much more relaxing and you won't have to say slowly clutch up followed by an instant stall ever again 🤣👍🏻

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I did my first test in an automatic and also learnt in a Yaris , either one would be good imo.

And actually automatic tests are in much more demand now. I had alot of trouble trying to find an automatic instructor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How are the learners coping with the modern tech? 

I had to cope with indicators, 4 speed gears with synchromesh on 2-4, and single speed wipers.  The seat could slide forwards and back.  Only one mirror. 

The switch options on the modern steering wheel are mind boggling.  I would have to sit in the car just to count them. Hit the wrong one and your essential display disappears. 

Setting up the Satnav for that part of the test could be daunting when it is more like a computer than even an old Satnav. 

• Haha 1

Still haven’t worked out the CarPlay yet. But the non-dazzle auto high beam feature is quite impressive.

Think the youngsters will adapt fine with the modern tech, I can use most of the features, am not too young. The driving instructor can give a better insight. 

• Like 1

I use all the tech that's available, Tom Tom mobile app through the infotainment system and also try to get them to look at Hybrid Assistant which I have on all day on a spare mobile which is on the dashboard, try to teach them to really plan ahead because there's not much to do in the cabin as everything is Auto, lights, wipers, gears etc... 

Bit scary on days like this though, side roads are terrible in MK but all main routes are well gritted 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

How are the learners coping with the modern tech? 

I had to cope with indicators, 4 speed gears with synchromesh on 2-4, and single speed wipers.  The seat could slide forwards and back.  Only one mirror. 

The switch options on the modern steering wheel are mind boggling.  I would have to sit in the car just to count them. Hit the wrong one and your essential display disappears. 

Setting up the Satnav for that part of the test could be daunting when it is more like a computer than even an old Satnav. 

Knocking the buttons and turning off the display is a daily occurrence 🙄🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links