Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Old yaris

Ceroli

Hi all   Decided to relive youth a bit and I need a runaround
Buying a 2001 VVTI 97000 miles 
Had £2200 spent over last 3 years 

New shocks, discs and pads . Also been serviced every year .

there is corrosion on the on the springs as noted on MOT . I’ve read a bit on here - thanks .

Question - I'm a  mechanical idiot , but don’t want to buy a lemon….( I know it’s 20 years old) where should I look for corrosion and how .

Any advice welcome 

thanks 

Hello and welcome to the club.

Just check the advisories on the MOT to tell you where to look,as you already have re springs.

To have a proper look you will have to get it up on a lift, and use a good torch.

Most of the Mk1s seem to have at least some surface rust underside towards the rear of the c pillars.

I am guessing the corrosion that you already know about on the springs is referring to the rear ones.

Thanks vm 

Will have a poke around if I can . I know it’s an old car and a punt , just want to eliminate any obvious ones on the way home 🙂

31 minutes ago, Ceroli said:

Thanks vm 

Will have a poke around if I can . I know it’s an old car and a punt , just want to eliminate any obvious ones on the way home 🙂

Err.. have I understood correctly?

Do you mean checking after you have bought it?

Its a easy job just to remove shocks lower bolt jack up rear of car remove/ change springs.

Keep a eye on the rubber pads the spring sits on and note its start and end points (spring ends).

It shold be expected that a car of this age will have rust possibly on the subframe and other areas. However rust is an MOT issue and if present it should be noted.

If the car has service history along with receipts for any work done then it is probably fine for a cheap runaround. 

I have one (cost £400 years ago) and I'd buy another. Surface rust is to be expected. Shock swap (as mentioned) is simple. 

Alex

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links