Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 engine in a 2012 Mk1

Ritchie

Hi, I looking at replacing my worn out mk1 Aygo engine. I was wondering if anyone has fitted a later Mk2 engine into a Mk1 car. If it’s not a straight swap I’ll just look for a low mileage Mk1. What did you have to do?

Thanks for your time.

Mk2 is a lot different, for a start they have an egr system the mk1 doesn't there are various other electrical and mechanical changes

how is the engine worn out ?

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the reply,

burning loads of oil. Have just cleaned the one way breather valve at the top of the cam cover ( which was blocked). Have yet to test it yet but suspect worn bores / stuck oil rings. Hope to borrow a camera from a friend & have a look down the bores.

A cylinder leak down test or compression test will show if it's the rings, start the car and remove the oil filler cap, could be as simple as a worn/faulty pcv valve

• Like 1

Hi, thanks, I have cleaned the PCV which was blocked. Will give it a run tomorrow to see if it has made any difference. Also will pull the plugs to see if they are oily.

Checked the oil consumption after driving it for a couple of days & everything looks okay. Checked the spark plugs which were nice & clean. The PCV valve must have been at fault. Couldn’t believe that a trip from London to Southampton could have sucked 2.5 litres of oil out of the engine.😕

• Like 2