Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk3 Yaris gear ratios.... 1.33 vs 1.5

AlfiePJ

Hi there,

I've searched the web and this forum and can't find any definite info. I don't suppose anyone out there has availability of tech info...

I've fitted a replacement g/box to my 2014 1.33 Petrol manual Yaris (UK), I've not got it out of dry dock yet, but I noticed that although it was listed on eBay as a 1.33 g/box, it's actually form a 1.5.

Does anyone have the ratios for each gearbox listed anywhere please? I've found this extract for the 1.33, but can't find the 1.5 info:

image.thumb.png.914b0477d1a4976973e39c665f1cccaa.png

Taken from https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/1485445765170110MTechSpec.pdf

I suspect it won't be ideal, with the 1.5 engine having slightly more torque and HP, but I'll be leaving it in regardless, but I'm just curious as to the differences.

TIA

Alf

Lee, thanks for this info, much appreciated.

I'll get my calculator out and work-out in theory how different each ratio is, but I'll report back any significant findings once I start using the car, hopefully that will help others.....

Thanks again

Regards

Alf

Where is the speedometer drive/signal taken from?

If it's on the engine side of the final drive rather than the output that could be a significant difference in reading.

Hiya Mike, 

The only sensor on my gearboxes is the reverse switch, so I'm assuming that the car gets its speedometer signal from the ABS/wheel speed sensors? So I'm hoping that different gear ratios won't affect my speedo... Not sure if my logic is correct! 

Alf

• Like 2

So today is the first time I've looked at the info kindly provided ...

...and I notice that the individual ratios are identical, with only the final drive being different. I suppose this makes perfect sense from a mass-production point of view.

Conclusion is that all ratios are therefore ~3.8% higher, which my feeling is that this will be fairly negligible. I've fitted different sized tyres to other cars in the past, resulting in similar percentage differences in final drive and it's not caused a problem.  I've still not run the car (had problems sourcing the correct track-rod ends with an M15 thread - I wouldn't have believed this!) but when it's on the road, I'll report driveability if anyone is interested. 

I also have a stack of photos from my clutch / gearbox / wishbone / damper / spring /brakes changes, if anyone is interested. Not sure where best to deposit them on here. Would sharing a link to a OneDrive gallery work? A couple of g/box ones attached FYI.

Thanks again all for you help...

Alf

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 21.08.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-23 at 08.54.51.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-23 at 08.54.52 (1).jpeg

• Like 4

would definitely be interested in seeing some of those photos Alf!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the 1.5 gearbox onto my 1.33..... absolutely no issues at all; the slight variation in ratios across the board have not proved noticeable. I was worried that 1st wouldn't be low enough for steep hills, but I've been over the mountain passes here in Cumbria (Hardknott and Wrynose) without issue at all. So in conclusion I've managed to get a low mileage gearbox for a great price. I'll be changing the oil again this weekend as a further flush seeing as I've done a couple thousand miles already. I'll see if there's genuine Toyota oil out there but otherwise I'll find some branded stuff.

I'll attach some photos of the other items I changed at the same time. I sourced good s/hand replacements for the brakes and uprights, so am pretty pleased. Shouldn't give much bother in the next couple of years. Just my throttle/driveability issue to look at (separate thread).

Thanks

Alf

1 (1).jpeg

1 (7).jpeg

8.jpeg

1 (2).jpeg

1 (3).jpeg

1 (4).jpeg

1 (5).jpeg

1 (6).jpeg

1 (8).jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlfiePJ said:

Just an update on the 1.5 gearbox onto my 1.33..... absolutely no issues at all; the slight variation in ratios across the board have not proved noticeable. I was worried that 1st wouldn't be low enough for steep hills, but I've been over the mountain passes here in Cumbria (Hardknott and Wrynose) without issue at all. So in conclusion I've managed to get a low mileage gearbox for a great price. I'll be changing the oil again this weekend as a further flush seeing as I've done a couple thousand miles already. I'll see if there's genuine Toyota oil out there but otherwise I'll find some branded stuff.

I'll attach some photos of the other items I changed at the same time. I sourced good s/hand replacements for the brakes and uprights, so am pretty pleased. Shouldn't give much bother in the next couple of years. Just my throttle/driveability issue to look at (separate thread).

Thanks

Alf

1 (1).jpeg

1 (7).jpeg

8.jpeg

1 (2).jpeg

1 (3).jpeg

1 (4).jpeg

1 (5).jpeg

1 (6).jpeg

1 (8).jpeg

This is certainly looking like a very well maintained car!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlfiePJ said:

Thanks

Alf

1 (1).jpeg

1 (7).jpeg

8.jpeg

1 (2).jpeg

1 (3).jpeg

1 (4).jpeg

1 (5).jpeg

1 (6).jpeg

1 (8).jpeg

Fantastic stuff there - always nice to fit shiny new or reconditioned parts.  How long did it take to get the gearbox off and the new one refitted?  In my experience its always the peripheral tasks that take the longest.  Btw that rubber mat looks really good - beats the flattened cardboard boxes i use! 

• Like 4

Hiya... sorry for the delay. Taking the box on and off was mixed in with all the other jobs, so difficult to say unfortunately. Mine had a lot of rusty bolts as you can see. And I agree with the peripheral tasks. I opted to take the subframe off to make it easier overall, and to check and lubricate the anti-roll bar bushes (after previous bad experiences).

However most helpful was a recent video by this chap, which showed all the key tasks.... 

This guy spends a good bit of time repositioning his camera for each task, and it was incredibly useful.

Re the rubber mats... the coloured foam one was given to me, it's a gym/yoga mat and I believe they're expensive. But the black rubber one is a 'cow mat' I got from the local famer's supply! It weighs a ton but it's incredibly useful!!

great clip, that guy is very thorough and doesn't spend a whole load of time yapping about nonsense, just straight down to business and with an extremely clear camera too!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links