Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

traction battery charging level

David Sargent

I recently bought a new Toyota Corolla Touring premium hybrid.  It all works fine but I'm surprised the traction Battery never shows more than about half charged (I have now driven about 3000km).  And when I try to select the eV mode I get a notification that the Battery doesn't have enough charge.  Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thanks for any tips.

David

• Like 2

Hi and welcome. 
Its absolutely normal behaviour and Toyota hybrids usually maintain Battery charge levels between 40-80% where 80% is absolute maximum and unless going long downhill you may never see it happens. The car keeps Battery charge at around 50-60% most of the times. The ev button is only for parking ( valet ) purposes when available and not to drive in as the Battery is very small and even full you have no chance of doing any acceptable ev range, more like a gimmick not actual function really. Just enjoy your car as hybrid ( petrol + electric) and let its doing her own things. 👍

• Like 5

That's why you have 15 years typical lifespan of NiMh Toyota Panasonic Battery with unlimited miles. It is charged from 40-80%.  If you can make your cellphone charge only up to 80%-85% like in most Android 11 or up,  you will extend the life of the Battery for at least 5 years under normal usages.   I did the same thing on Laptops, and my 5 years old laptop are all still have 90% Battery capacity. Dell, HP, Lenovo, are all have software in windows to setup the maximum charging.  Dell with DellPowerManager, we can setup to charge only up to 51-99% and stop charging until the battery level below 50%.  Therefore, it will not charge the battery when the AC adapter is on.   

• Like 4

Tbh many people stress unnecessarily about batteries and lifespan. Most important thing about any type of Battery is not to left it low or completely depleted for a long time and not to drain completely before each charge. You can fully charge your Battery every single time to 100% and even leave it plugged in without any Battery issue or degrading. My gf fully charge her car and scooter every time and after few few years now both work perfectly fine and both has 100% battery health remaining. My phone is two years old and I use it as much as my car , even more, the only time when I don’t use these is when I sleep, charge any time I like or can and no problems at all. My Auris hybrid battery been fully charge most of the time for the last 4 years and all that on daily basis, touching the wood works great to date with no signs of any degradation or lost power, at least not noticeable, for me the car works exactly as day one back a decade ago 🫢👌

• Like 1

When the display shows hybrid Battery fully charged, it's not, just the max designed to produce long Battery life, I think that's 80 percent. Battery life is one of the least worries with hybrid other than keeping the fan and filter clean. Engine, brakes and corrosion maintenance higher up the priority as far as I know 

• Like 1

The rust is not so much issue these days with almost the whole underbody is covered. However, spray the control arms, springs, links, and struts area with Fluidfilm helps reducing rust on salted roads. The disc brakes and calipers are often have some rust and need cleaning regularly (3-4 years). I recommend replace the rusty brake disc with any polymer/Zn coated disc and grease the caliper sliding area and sliding pins. It helps a lot.

• Like 1

this thread is ,traction Battery.

Which topped up from low to full while sitting in car on ready mode for the hour suggested to top up 12v.

As Alice said,curioser and curioser.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links