Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear axle corroded snapped

crazyhamsterlele

Hello everyone. I got an auris 2007 - live in UK - Went for wheel bearing change and the guy told me the car is done. Rear axle corroded and snapped. Is it worth fixing it? But dissapointed with Toyota quality of body metal. 

IMG_20221130_180845_1.jpg

IMG_20221130_180901.jpg

IMG_20221130_180902.jpg

IMG_20221130_180906.jpg

IMG_20221130_180845.jpg

• Sad 2

Lol, that’s really bad. The answer you will find depending on what is the condition of the rest of the car body? If it’s similar there is no point spending any money on and simply scrap it and buy another car. If the body is ok which perhaps might be unlikely you can buy used axle new springs and new shocks. The car is old and driven in bad conditions and thank to the salt on uk roads these are the results. 

What Tony said!

Interesting that it looks like someone has invested in a new fuel tank, new exhaust, and new heat shields above the exhaust. Either the mechanics ignored the state of the car or the rest of the car isn't as bad as the rear suspension might suggest?

• Like 2

Was there any advisories re rust on your last MOT ??

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Any welder worth his salt will repair that.

You can't weld rust or salt, it looks like another flood car, some ome has plowed money into the car, new heatshield, tank, exhaust and new-ish springs

I would go with a used rear beam and new rear shocks, if the front subframe and arms aren't shot as well

• Like 2

I would replace it too.  But I had a welder mate, now dead, I’ve seen him repair worse than that.

• Like 1

That's what the underside of my brother's Mk1 Yaris looked like when it failed its MOT! :laugh: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's what the underside of my brother's Mk1 Yaris looked like when it failed its MOT! :laugh: 

Aye, it's the rust that kills these great old Toyotas, the mechanics and electrics seem to last forever.😟

• Like 3

Not really... It was spotted by luck.. Went for an oil change and asked to pre MOT have a look. I do services 3 times per year. Changed failed catalyst 4 months ago... It is all awful to be honest... I drive it the last 10 years... I don't know wht in such a mess.. Really dissapointed.. Engine runs like a dream... Still get 40mpg in town 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crazyhamsterlele said:

Hello everyone. I got an auris 2007 - live in UK - Went for wheel bearing change and the guy told me the car is done. Rear axle corroded and snapped. Is it worth fixing it? But dissapointed with Toyota quality of body metal. 

IMG_20221130_180901.jpg

IMG_20221130_180902.jpg

IMG_20221130_180906.jpg

IMG_20221130_180845.jpg

2 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Was there any advisories re rust on your last MOT ??

Nothing related to that.. 

2 hours ago, APS said:

What Tony said!

Interesting that it looks like someone has invested in a new fuel tank, new exhaust, and new heat shields above the exhaust. Either the mechanics ignored the state of the car or the rest of the car isn't as bad as the rear suspension might suggest?

Will get it to the dealer Monday and see... But after this won't buy Toyota again.. 

Its a shame no one pointed out it needed a coat or two of paint just to stop it turning into rust,

prevension is always better and cheaper in the end. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Aye, it's the rust that kills these great old Toyotas, the mechanics and electrics seem to last forever.😟

Very true 👌

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

Its a shame no one pointed out it needed a coat or two of paint just to stop it turning into rust,

prevension is always better and cheaper in the end. 

That’s what I have done on mine although not sure how much will help but at least looked better when  I have changed the springs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crazyhamsterlele said:

Not really... It was spotted by luck.. Went for an oil change and asked to pre MOT have a look. I do services 3 times per year. Changed failed catalyst 4 months ago... It is all awful to be honest... I drive it the last 10 years... I don't know wht in such a mess.. Really dissapointed.. Engine runs like a dream... Still get 40mpg in town 

So you drive a lot then 30k miles per year? UK motorways are horrible, 4-6 months they are obliterated with salt and grit add the heavy rain and the mixture is like sea water or even worse an acid bath. Not much different to expect. These conditions are the worse for any band believe me even the bet in business Audi will rot like rust bucket of driven like that. Some cars survive longer and easier if they been used in town a mostly where minimum salt been used during winter. 
The worst of all scenarios is if you take the car for a motorway run when is salted and then park up and not use for long time, no car wash, no motorway again during heavy rain that actually washes everything underneath very well. Poor Toyota didn’t get a chance or been flooded as mentioned. 
Best preventative measure is water spray under the body once every two weeks during winter and proper cleaning at the end of the season including engine bay jet wash and never apply any rust treatments. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

So you drive a lot then 30k miles per year? UK motorways are horrible, 4-6 months they are obliterated with salt and grit add the heavy rain and the mixture is like sea water or even worse an acid bath. Not much different to expect. These conditions are the worse for any band believe me even the bet in business Audi will rot like rust bucket of driven like that. Some cars survive longer and easier if they been used in town a mostly where minimum salt been used during winter. 
The worst of all scenarios is if you take the car for a motorway run when is salted and then park up and not use for long time, no car wash, no motorway again during heavy rain that actually washes everything underneath very well. Poor Toyota didn’t get a chance or been flooded as mentioned. 
Best preventative measure is water spray under the body once every two weeks during winter and proper cleaning at the end of the season including engine bay jet wash and never apply any rust treatments. 

I do usually 9000 miles per year. 

• Like 2

I use paint on rear axles subframe and springs in area of plastic leaving the spring Hammerite but not for calipers or exhaust for this you need a high tempriture paint.

Check every year once you start you always find somethink thats needs painting.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
On 02/12/2022 at 16:30, crazyhamsterlele said:

Olá pessoal. Eu comprei um auris 2007 - moro no Reino Unido - Fui trocar o rolamento da roda e o cara me disse que o carro estava pronto. Eixo traseiro corroído e quebrado. Vale a pena consertar isso? Mas desapontado com a qualidade do metal da carroceria da Toyota. 

IMG_20221130_180901.jpg

IMG_20221130_180902.jpg

IMG_20221130_180906.jpg

IMG_20221130_180845.jpg

I have the same problem with my car, I can't find a good rear axle