Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cable storage

Malop

I’m glad the UK BZ4X comes with both “granny” (3 pin plug) and AC charger cables but was surprised Toyota hadn’t provided a better storage option. They come in a nice bag but it takes up almost a quarter of the boot storage. Without a Frunk/Froot the only option seems to be the under floor storage in the boot. I wasn’t sure if it was big enough so gave it a go today. If the Granny charger had thicker cable this wouldn’t have worked. 

Once the cables were stowed I tried the different boot configuration options, lowered floor and parcel shelve stored. Both still work although with the lowered floor the cable does poke the floor up a bit but it does press down ok so once boot is loaded shouldn’t be a problem.

Did consider leaving out the Granny charger as I’m hopefully never going to use it but glad I didn’t have to make the choice. 

Getting the AC cable out at a charge point, in the rain, dark and cold is going to be interesting but now I know, I could always park up under cover, get the cable out and head for charge point. When away from home my main charging should be tethered DC charging so this cable is hopefully the last option in an emergency.

In my RAV4 I used that storage for things like first aid kit, hi vis best and a couple of other bits, next test is to see what I can squeeze into the empty space. 

E83228EE-2668-46BC-86E9-A7E029878E15.jpeg

ED0E7163-7EEA-4721-8A0F-2DD7893A45F9.jpeg

00C916C4-6034-4314-B70E-6DCFF1B8E58F.jpeg

0BD3DF23-4735-4081-9BBD-790E7055015E.jpeg

41A59529-8F71-4686-B0C1-DA0FEC64BBE7.jpeg

208E0532-628B-4928-93B8-FF76DA922E44.jpeg

723869C0-5243-4C8C-ACFF-DFCCF341E4CE.jpeg

276C3A26-A242-4B65-B648-C843A7BD359A.jpeg

521C99B9-DE81-4EAD-922C-E7100A4BABAC.jpeg

0EFADA14-36E6-4913-A90F-BEAF83A1C3D5.jpeg

C7C66618-07EF-4ED6-BAA8-77811CD2E4A2.jpeg

• Like 6

I don't have an electric car, but IMHO it is a very strange idea to have the charging cables stowed under the boot floor. The key time you are likely to need them is on a longer journey when you probably have items already stowed in the boot. Not such a bad idea for the spare wheel to be under here as it's only used in an emergency, however charging cables that are due to be used regularly?????  - WOW - did no-one at the Toyota design office think of this? It's a bit like putting the petrol filler cap in this location. The alternative stoareg bag looks huge. It's not something I would have space for when going out on a job with a well-loaded boot. It doesn't seem to be well thought out ergonomics from Toyota. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Corollanutter said:

I don't have an electric car, but IMHO it is a very strange idea to have the charging cables stowed under the boot floor. The key time you are likely to need them is on a longer journey when you probably have items already stowed in the boot. Not such a bad idea for the spare wheel to be under here as it's only used in an emergency, however charging cables that are due to be used regularly?????  - WOW - did no-one at the Toyota design office think of this? It's a bit like putting the petrol filler cap in this location. The alternative stoareg bag looks huge. It's not something I would have space for when going out on a job with a well-loaded boot. It doesn't seem to be well thought out ergonomics from Toyota. 

I suspect that it is rather less of a bother than have a spare wheel in the boot ...

I suspect that the OP uses a tethered cable on his home 7.4 kW wall charger. And when recharging on the road, practically he will use the tethered cable on the DC charger of his choice. The cables stowed in the boot only ever come out for use in an 'emergency' ...

And unlike the spare wheel that we may well need on the side of a motorway (in the rain) he will only ever need the 'emergency' charging cables when he is safely off the road at a charge point. 😉

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

suspect that the OP uses a tethered cable on his home 7.4 kW wall charger. And when recharging on the road, practically he will use the tethered cable on the DC charger of his choice.

Exactly this. Using the AC cable will be either an emergency for me (but still in a fairly safe place) or a planned charge based on a destination charge point and I’ll be either ok to unload the car or already have the cable on top of everything in the boot. 
EV charging takes a bit of planning but not much worst than driving an ICE engine in an overseas country for the first time. Or for those who remember, driving an ICE car before the days of Sat Nav and supermarket petrol stations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corollanutter said:

I totally agree with this; and same with spare wheels (To a lessor extent); I don't know why almost not car manufacturer uses the obvious awkward spaces to the left and right between the C-pillar and wheel well to put some kind of storage for such things, esp. as it would free up space under the floor for more batteries!

One of our old cars (I think my dad's old Merc estate?) had the spare wheel on the side of the car in that space and the tools, med kit, triangle etc. on the opposite side, and I thought that was was genius!

Means the load area is straight, without that annoying pinch where the rear wheel wells are, and means the load bay can be a bit deeper.

Under-floor storage is just awkward; We didn't know my Dad's Verso has storage compartments under the passenger floor until nearly a year after he'd bought it - We only discovered this because we'd taken the rear mats out to clean them!! How awkward is that?! Having storage areas that would be covered by the floor mats!! It was a bit jarring as it does not feel like the normal Toyota attention to detail to have something so shoe-horned in so randomly without thought as to how it would be used or even accessed... it was the sort of wacky thing I expect French manufacturers to do :laugh: 

"'eh Claude zere is zis awkwards space, what should we do wiz eet?" "Ah jus' bung another cubby box in zere, we can zay ve haz more storage spess zan zose japaneese!" "But ze shape! 'ow will it even close?! And 'alf of eet is outside when ze windows are down!" "I don't care, jus do eet! Eets nearly lunch time!" (Apologies to anybody actually french, or who knows anybody french. Or canadian. Or african. Just apologies in general! :fear: :laugh: )

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I don't understand why electric cars come with cables, the cables should be fitted to the chargers.  If a car has a non standard plug/socket then all that is required is to carry an adaptor.  I have a petrol car. I don't have to carry a hose to connect to a petrol pump when I want to refuel, electric cars should be the same.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some don't, you have to pay a couple hundred quid extra to add them!

It's primarily for charging from mains; If/When I get an EV I'd always carry it so if I'm stranded, at least I can knock on someone's door and ask if they'll let me buy some of their electricity!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Some don't, you have to pay a couple hundred quid extra to add them!

It's primarily for charging from mains; If/When I get an EV I'd always carry it so if I'm stranded, at least I can knock on someone's door and ask if they'll let me buy some of their electricity!

And you would be welcome to it for free, and a cup of tea and a Chelsea bun Cyker,as long as you brought TOC membership proof.

I am a bit wary of unknown callers since someone knocked the door a while back,he had a top hat on , and colourful ribbons woven into his clothing.

He was accompanied by a somewhat dishevelled lady who had a veil on , and six children of graduated diminishing sizes.

He knocked on ,and said in a very gutteral voice "can we use yer toilet?"

And "is the awld van for sale ?"gesturing to the 1986 Talbot autosleeper on the drive at the time.

So I informed the gentleman through the window that the toilet was broke, and the awld van belonged to the the psychotic gorilla over the road.

Thankfully,he then left.

• Haha 3

I note above was a comment that Hi Viz vest could be stored under the boot floor.  I think it better to have it available before you get out of the car.  I copied the following from a French website :

It is a minimum requirement that at least one Hi Viz should be kept in the vehicle in the event of breakdown etc for the driver. The vest should be inside the cabin of the vehicle not stored in the boot or in a roof top box etc as you should be able to reach it and put it on before getting out of the car.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I think it better to have it available before you get out of the car

Well I can’t keep it in the glove box in the BZ4X 😉

I’ll find a space somewhere. 

• Like 2

Knocking on stranger's doors..... 

We were in a hired van driving down the A1.  The Mrs said is was very hot and getting hotter.  I said turn the heating down. 

She said there's smoke.  I said it's OK, it's only condensation. 

She said it smells.  I pulled into a convenient layby and switched off. The smoke didn't stop and there was a crackling under the hood.  I said everybody put and despatched the Mrs to call the fire brigade. 

She was away a long time and the fire went out.  To be safe I sat in an armchair in the back, settled down to read the paper and waited for the firemen. 

They stopped and wondered where the fire was as it could not be our van as I was just reading the paper 😊.  

The Mrs returned, it had been a long walk to find a phone, and the AA recovered the van.  To finish the story, they dropped the van off at home whereupon the exhaust fell off. 

The hire person said I should return the van to them.  I declined and insisted on money back too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Knocking on stranger's doors..... 

We were in a hired van driving down the A1.  The Mrs said is was very hot and getting hotter.  I said turn the heating down. 

She said there's smoke.  I said it's OK, it's only condensation. 

She said it smells.  I pulled into a convenient layby and switched off. The smoke didn't stop and there was a crackling under the hood.  I said everybody put and despatched the Mrs to call the fire brigade. 

She was away a long time and the fire went out.  To be safe I sat in an armchair in the back, settled down to read the paper and waited for the firemen. 

They stopped and wondered where the fire was as it could not be our van as I was just reading the paper 😊.  

The Mrs returned, it had been a long walk to find a phone, and the AA recovered the van.  To finish the story, they dropped the van off at home whereupon the exhaust fell off. 

The hire person said I should return the van to them.  I declined and insisted on money back too. 

Could you not at least have kept the fire going, so as not to disappoint the firemen?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Trewithy said:

I don't understand why electric cars come with cables, the cables should be fitted to the chargers.  If a car has a non standard plug/socket then all that is required is to carry an adaptor.  I have a petrol car. I don't have to carry a hose to connect to a petrol pump when I want to refuel, electric cars should be the same.  

If I can get a charger fitted to my house, it will not have a cable attached. Because I want a small, discreet unobtrusive charger.

• Like 2

Well if you go for petrol / desel its one type of nozzel.

With electric plugs on the car it at least six types at the moment.

Then you need the app plus money on the app some dont acept credit cards.

All electric chargers are in use when you arrive no idea how long you have to stay before you can connect to a power outlet so you move on hoping for more luck at the next charger.

Its a nightmare unless you can just charge up at home and have a second vehicle for longer trips.

• Like 2

I have a 10m cable for my untethered charged and I just whack it in the boot. I tried to be neat but doing it morning and evening when it's damp and cold.....

• Like 1