Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Solar charger

Max_Headroom

Could members who use these show us their preferred make/model and the price also could you describe or show a picture  of where you plug them in and how easy they are to use so non technical members like myself can buy with confidence.

Thanks in advance.

If this has already been done elsewhere please delete.

I purchased a solar charger from Amazon that plugs in to the OBD socket. This is on the drivers side just under the facia panel, you may have to bend down to see it but it's easy enough to access. Just make sure to unplug the solar panels before starting the car otherwise you risk a surge and may blow some fuses.  We went on holiday in May for 2 weeks and parked at the airport. I plugged in the solar charger just before I locked the car. On arriving back the car started first time with ample charge showing. 

Here is the link for the charger, I hope that it helps you. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

Thanks Mike.

Is it as universal OBD plug or do you have to specify the a make/model who are using it on?

I found the answer to my second question so for other wondering here is the answer -

I was worried about overcharging as  its such a small Battery the answer is it will not happen - 

There is built-in discharge protection as well as reverse polarity protection to ensure that the charger will not overcharge your battery. 

I also have an AA solar powered charger like previously mentioned. I have only used it once so far in the car - last May - and after being left for a week, the car started first time when I returned to it. I used the OBD connector. It may well have started without using the charger, but I wanted to err on the side of caution.  I do however, use it occassionally for topping up the 12v Battery in my petrol lawnmower which has electronic ignition and a few hours in the sun charges the Battery up nicely, using the crocodile clips that came with the charger. I can certainly recommend it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPN said:

That's the exact same one that I've been using happily now for nearly 8 years. Excellent piece of kit. 

That the same one I sent back because it drained my charged Battery down to around 11.6v on multiple occasions 😥

4 hours ago, Malomaka said:

That the same one I sent back because it drained my charged battery down to around 11.6v on multiple occasions 😥

Then you must have had a faulty one unfortunately... 

Its good that they have mentioned it will not charge a Battery it will maintain it - 

• This charger will MAINTAIN a healthy Battery
  • It will NOT restore a FLAT, DEAD or FAULTY car Battery
  • The charger MUST be positioned in DIRECT SUNLIGHT
  • This trickle charger does NOT replace a STANDARD BATTERY CHARGER
  • Includes battery clamps/12 V connector and an EOBD connector

Solar chargers are indeed only to maintain charge and not conditioning or fully recharge a flat Battery. They may not work as good in cloudy days and your Battery may loose some charge. Best to have a smart charger and do charge your Battery once a month or two months to maintain proper soc if not using the car often or long enough. 👍

• Like 2