Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water leak in boot

Matheo338

Hi

I have a Toyota Auris 2007 Model. I have recently discovered that my boot was wet and under the spare wheel was a puddle. I did try spraying a hose pipe everywhere on the outside and noticed that the leak was coming from the rear lights.. so I changed the gasket and no more leaks. After I changed it i tried again with the hose pipe and it was leaking from some vent behind the bumper, i removed the bumper and it seems like the gasket is also wet and broken inside the vent. Any help fixing this problem?

Also it's leaking from both sides.

Gaskets have probably perished. Some owners have used sealant to seal around the vent.

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Gaskets have probably perished. Some owners have used sealant to seal around the vent.

I went to my local store and they didn't have any sealant so I used some glue and rubber to replace the gasket and it worked! 😄

18 minutes ago, elcobretti2 said:

I went to my local store and they didn't have any sealant so I used some glue and rubber to replace the gasket and it worked! 😄

What glue did you use the reason I ask is if the vent is meant to be taken out if required then you may have a problem removing it in the future. They normally have some gasket so hope you didn't use superglue. 

Sealing the vents while they have large openings to let air out ? Perhaps brake lights clusters seals., and thoroughly clean the body panels they fit in and the clusters themselves as they work like gutters. Once they fill up with debris water will get inside the car even with new gaskets. Silicone seal can any help but then if you need to remove the lights in the future might be a challenge. I did mine anyway and so far so good, all dry. Vents never touched. Only slightly moisture can form if driven in heavy rain but then will vent out, that why there are vents. Messing up with those can cause more moisture to be locked in. 👍

• Like 2

In the past we've had several topics where boot leaks have been fixed by using sealant around the vents in pre-facelift 1st generation Auris (2007-2010). Not so much of an issue in post-facelift models (2010-2012) where gaskets were modified.

Presumably the OP has used glue to attach the rubber they used to replace the gaskets.

30 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Perhaps brake lights clusters seals

The OP has already said they've successfully replaced the light cluster gaskets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In the past we've had several topics where boot leaks have been fixed by using sealant around the vents in pre-facelift 1st generation Auris (2007-2010). Not so much of an issue in post-facelift models (2010-2012) where gaskets were modified.

Presumably the OP has used glue to attach the rubber they used to replace the gaskets.

The OP has already said they've successfully replaced the light cluster gaskets.

If they haven’t cleaned properly the light clusters and the body panels water will enter through the new seals too. Because when water flow reduces the water pressure rises and will eventually go through the seals. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elcobretti2 said:

I did try spraying a hose pipe everywhere on the outside and noticed that the leak was coming from the rear lights.. so I changed the gasket and no more leaks. After I changed it i tried again with the hose pipe and it was leaking from some vent behind the bumper, i removed the bumper and it seems like the gasket is also wet and broken inside the vent.

As I said, the vents in the pre-facelift were also the source of leaks. See -

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Bper said:

What glue did you use the reason I ask is if the vent is meant to be taken out if required then you may have a problem removing it in the future. They normally have some gasket so hope you didn't use superglue. 

I don't plan removing the vents in the future, I plan to sell the Auris because its slowly starting to fall apart.. a couple of months ago my ceiling fell down and I had to repair it, also my cup holder is jammed and the seat belt just doesn't want to retract anymore.

5 hours ago, elcobretti2 said:

I don't plan removing the vents in the future, I plan to sell the Auris because its slowly starting to fall apart.. a couple of months ago my ceiling fell down and I had to repair it, also my cup holder is jammed and the seat belt just doesn't want to retract anymore.

That’s no trouble at all. Probably your car just needs a bit of love and tlc and will be as good as new again. As long as there is no rust on major parts Toyota can keep going. 👍

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey, just had the same problem water just getting in the boot mainly from the left side i removed the old light gasked,cleaned it and resused it with some gasket sealant.I am pretty sure that that place is nice and dry but the water just found another way in.I will tear the whole boot apart and try to find any further leak.Let me know if you have any advice...

Hi Giannis ! 

Another way where water enters in the boot is air vents from bottom left and right side of the boot.

Unfortunately, in order to do the job properly you have to remove the bumper...

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice tavy!
I will check that out as well and come back when i get the work done.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2023 at 2:38 PM, Γιάννης said:

Thanks for the advice tavy!
I will check that out as well and come back when i get the work 

Did it work?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'd like to reply to this topic, I've had this problem before and it took me weeks to find the problem, the boot rubber seal gathers dirt on the top of the seal and goes under the seal and causes the seal to raise slightly, helping the water to raise over the lip, so to cure this problem take the seal off clean all accumulated dirt around boot and seal and press the seal firmly in place, that cured it for me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Black Black said:

Hi I'd like to reply to this topic, I've had this problem before and it took me weeks to find the problem, the boot rubber seal gathers dirt on the top of the seal and goes under the seal and causes the seal to raise slightly, helping the water to raise over the lip, so to cure this problem take the seal off clean all accumulated dirt around boot and seal and press the seal firmly in place, that cured it for me.

Same thing applies or the rear lights clusters seals. Remove lights, clean everything thoroughly to new car like shine and put all back together. You can replace cluster seals or use a silicone or other suitable seals and torque to specs, or at least do not over tighten. 

I have had it cleaned, put some grease to increase water resistance, and water still found it's way to the boot.

If you remove the plastic, and have someone spray the car with some water from a hose, it's pretty easy to find it.

Once the water goes down the light cluster, it goes somewhere inside the car. And instead of leaking out, it somehow finds its way to the inside.

Most of the boot has had some filler applied at the factory, but here it's just missing. A bit of silicone, actually a bit more to be sure, and the boot is dry 2+ years now.

• Like 1