Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MyT cabin preconditioning

nlee

Last few days I've tried to set the cabin preconditioning going at home in the MyT app. I've just got the spinning circle of doom which eventually times out. My phone signal was fine and I was on WiFi in any case but I assumed it was the cars signal that must be weak on the drive.

Same this morning, then I had a brainwave, why don't I walk to the window and turn it on with the key fob? Doh! Obviously, this worked fine but the interesting thing is, by the time I got back to my phone in the kitchen, the app showed that the preconditioning was on. So, the car is obviously communicating ok with the server and back to the app.

Not really sure why it would only be working correctly in one direction.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Used this 3 times on my Yaris Cross.  First time a failure, the others OK. 

I noted Tony's reservation about additional fuel consumption.  There is also the green factor and car running unattended.  

However if your car is outside AND iced up, pre heating is probably very useful to minimise condensation and speed up deicing. 

Anything over 10 minutes in typical UK conditions is probably unnecessary.  Indeed if you needed 30 minutes it suggests you should not be driving that day. 

15 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Used this 3 times on my Yaris Cross.  First time a failure, the others OK. 

I noted Tony's reservation about additional fuel consumption.  There is also the green factor and car running unattended.  

However if your car is outside AND iced up, pre heating is probably very useful to minimise condensation and speed up deicing. 

Anything over 10 minutes in typical UK conditions is probably unnecessary.  Indeed if you needed 30 minutes it suggests you should not be driving that day. 

Thanks Roy. I have a PHEV so the engine doesn't run for preconditioning, the heat pump runs off the mains (if plugged in) or traction Battery (if not plugged in). The latter has negligible impact on remaining EV range. It's also limited to a max 20 mins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nlee said:

I've not got a PHEV, or any preconditioning stuff, so I am unaware of the detailed operation ... but "the spinning circle of doom" merely indicates that the 'app' - I'm assuming that it's the app on your 'phone - is awaiting a response from the other end ... which ultimately it doesn't get because it times out. This implies the the app has sent whatever query or instruction it was meant to and simply hasn't got a response - the instruction may, or may not, have been carried out in the meantime.

Given the circumstances, and past experience, it seems likely that the Toyota servers were 'on a break' and there is nothing particularly wrong with communications between the car and Toyota or between the app and Toyota ...

Perhaps?

• Like 1

It does sometimes take time to 'wake up' the system which I think runs on the Toyota system servers. Key fob always seems to work.

As per Nigel's comment I tend to leave the mains cable connected in the winter and when I run the preconditioning it pulls the power from the house rather than the car.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nlee said:

Last few days I've tried to set the cabin preconditioning going at home in the MyT app. I've just got the spinning circle of doom which eventually times out. My phone signal was fine and I was on WiFi in any case but I assumed it was the cars signal that must be weak on the drive.

Same this morning, then I had a brainwave, why don't I walk to the window and turn it on with the key fob? Doh! Obviously, this worked fine but the interesting thing is, by the time I got back to my phone in the kitchen, the app showed that the preconditioning was on. So, the car is obviously communicating ok with the server and back to the app.

It could be the app trying to comminicate with the servers and not getting the response hence spinning wheel, their infrastructure must be running on a potato from my experience. Also, the car is using the 3G modem / network for communication and this is not fully reliable. When you woke the car with the fob, the communication was likely restored, hence the status was updated in the app.

Honestly, if Toyota is running the same infra to host electric BZ4X, I would be fuming as the owner.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nlee said:

Did You noticed if the " Charging info." worked at that time.

I had a similar problem some week ago, nighter the pre heating och charging info." worked in the app but I could start pre heating by the AC button at the key.

I tried tor restart the app but it didnt help.

Didnt resolve the problem until I had my car at service and the Toyota garage "shut down" my cars connection . After about 20h everything worked again. 

34 minutes ago, HSDish said:

Did You noticed if the " Charging info." worked at that time.

I had a similar problem some week ago, nighter the pre heating och charging info." worked in the app but I could start pre heating by the AC button at the key.

I tried tor restart the app but it didnt help.

Didnt resolve the problem until I had my car at service and the Toyota garage "shut down" my cars connection . After about 20h everything worked again. 

Yes, could access the charging info, and it had updated at 2:00am when it had hit full charge. Another reason why I doubt it was a signal issue in hindsight.

• Like 1

It's definitely only working one way for me. The app updates with the latest charge state and journey information at the end of each journey or charge, and also shows the preconditioning running almost straight away if I start it from the fob.

However, if I press the refresh button to wake and update the state of charge or try to turn on the preconditioning, it's just the circle of doom. I even tried to set a schedule yesterday for the preconditioning this morning but it didn't work either.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, nlee said:

It's definitely only working one way for me. The app updates with the latest charge state and journey information at the end of each journey or charge, and also shows the preconditioning running almost straight away if I start it from the fob.

However, if I press the refresh button to wake and update the state of charge or try to turn on the preconditioning, it's just the circle of doom. I even tried to set a schedule yesterday for the preconditioning this morning but it didn't work either.

On 12/6/2022 at 10:04 PM, nlee said:

Yes, could access the charging info, and it had updated at 2:00am when it had hit full charge. Another reason why I doubt it was a signal issue in hindsight.

Strange.

The "find my car" function worked all the time when "preconditioning" and "charge state" didnt work in our car. So seemed like there wasent totally loss of signal in our car either.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:42 AM, nlee said:

Been working find for me every day for the past 4 days. Preconditioning about twice a day. Usually takes about 5 to 30 seconds to connect. 

But just earlier today the App did not display the fan symbol and the other one next to it at all. Baffled. When I tried it half hour later the symbols had reappeared.

• Confused 1

Still not working for me. I've contacted in the app and also Toyota UK customer service but had no responses. I notice there are lots of complaints of the same issue on the app reviews in the Google Play store, so it seems quite widespread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nlee said:

Still not working for me. I've contacted in the app and also Toyota UK customer service but had no responses. I notice there are lots of complaints of the same issue on the app reviews in the Google Play store, so it seems quite widespread.

Could be worth driving to a new location in town where 3G plus connectivity is strong. If the problem persists then you can be reasonably sure it isn't down to not enough mobile signal for the telemetry unit. More down to server connectivity at the Toyota end or some data tunnelling issue in the App?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Could be worth driving to a new location in town where 3G plus connectivity is strong. If the problem persists then you can be reasonably sure it isn't down to not enough mobile signal for the telemetry unit. More down to server connectivity at the Toyota end or some data tunnelling issue in the App?

Thanks Nick. I've tried it in numerous locations as I too thought it might be the onboard mobile signal strength. But the app updates from changes at the car (e.g. if I start precon. from the fob, the app immediately shows it running) so it is unlikely signal related.

Seems owners of other models are also highlighting the issue. Seems odd it's working for some and not others because the last app update was mid November so most would be on the same version. I'm on general_version 4.14.0 (30167) on Android with a Pixel 5.

• Like 2

Nigel, same as me still can not connect via the iOS iPad or Android Samsung 10.

The Home Screen says the car is ‘ in movement’ on 8th Dec. Well it’s been out side my house since then and static.

Not able to update  the SOC screen and the charging schedule is stuck on Friday.

Not able to communicate to trigger remote cabin conditioning.

I’ve sent a communication to the app support team?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Nigel, same as me still can not connect via the iOS iPad or Android Samsung 10.

The Home Screen says the car is ‘ in movement’ on 8th Dec. Well it’s been out side my house since then and static.

Not able to update  the SOC screen and the charging schedule is stuck on Friday.

Not able to communicate to trigger remote cabin conditioning.

I’ve sent a communication to the app support team?

I've still not had a response from my contact in the app, or Toyota GB. I got this generic response from putting a review in Google Play....

Screenshot_20221212-140543.thumb.png.55796290aa5e030a5afb07f0bdccdc7c.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

At least we can start it from the key fob on the PHEV. I presume that's the same on the HEV is it?

I was talking to a Yaris owner on the "other forum" and they are stuck if they can't use the app.

I didn't realise you can't set a precon schedule through the website or in the car through the MID until this happened, unless anyone knows otherwise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nlee said:

I've still not had a response from my contact in the app, or Toyota GB. I got this generic response from putting a review in Google Play....

Screenshot_20221212-140543.thumb.png.55796290aa5e030a5afb07f0bdccdc7c.png

Seems like they have a looong list

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nlee said:

Thanks Nick. I've tried it in numerous locations as I too thought it might be the onboard mobile signal strength. But the app updates from changes at the car (e.g. if I start precon. from the fob, the app immediately shows it running) so it is unlikely signal related.

Seems owners of other models are also highlighting the issue. Seems odd it's working for some and not others because the last app update was mid November so most would be on the same version. I'm on general_version 4.14.0 (30167) on Android with a Pixel 5.

Ah ok you're right. Rules out signal strength issues. 

Must be some weird App Vs mobile device issue? 

• Like 1

Still not able to start the preconditioning or update the SoC from the app, but finally got a response from the case I logged, as below......

"Firstly, I am sorry to learn you are experiencing issues with the MyT application.

We have been informed there is a campaign for various Toyota cars that require a system update for the head unit, once the update is carried then this should improve communications between the head unit and the App.

XGG78 - PDC / RSSC / CSC / ICSC - for DCM reprogramming on certain Multiple Models

We would advise you to contact and visit your local Toyota to have this update carried out."

Have to say I'm not convinced this is the issue, it seems very app related as it suddenly stopped working when it previously worked, and it communicates from car to app just fine. Ah well, another trip to see the dealer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nlee said:

Still not able to start the preconditioning or update the SoC from the app, but finally got a response from the case I logged, as below......

"Firstly, I am sorry to learn you are experiencing issues with the MyT application.

We have been informed there is a campaign for various Toyota cars that require a system update for the head unit, once the update is carried then this should improve communications between the head unit and the App.

XGG78 - PDC / RSSC / CSC / ICSC - for DCM reprogramming on certain Multiple Models

We would advise you to contact and visit your local Toyota to have this update carried out."

Have to say I'm not convinced this is the issue, it seems very app related as it suddenly stopped working when it previously worked, and it communicates from car to app just fine. Ah well, another trip to see the dealer.

Thanks for that Nigel, mine is still not working and I’ve not had any communication from the Toyota support. Like you I don’t understand how suddenly the car needs a dealer update, if that’s so, then it’s very poor to introduce a system change without communicating the potential for problems to the customers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have had issues with schedule for  precondition of the cabin since 14 months and a case with Toyota through the dealer for over a year. I just got my car updated and the schedule is so far working. Fingers crossed. The dealer mentioned that they will replace the dcm as next step if it doesn't work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Björn Rosén said:

So I have had issues with schedule for  precondition of the cabin since 14 months and a case with Toyota through the dealer for over a year. I just got my car updated and the schedule is so far working. Fingers crossed. The dealer mentioned that they will replace the dcm as next step if it doesn't work. 

Sounds good, please post if it fails again? Mine is still not connecting to enable cabin conditioning.

• Like 1

Apart from the odd hiccup, I usually manage to schedule and also switch on immediately from the app. 

• Like 1