Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What tyre pressure do you use?

Trewithy

On the door pillar of my 1.8 Corolla it says 225/45 R17 tyres should be set to 33psi front, 30 rear.  On the the Toyota website it says for 225/45 R17 tyres 33 front, 31 rear for current models.  Normally I will add 1 or 2psi to the recommended figure when checking my tyres. When adding an extra 2psi the car will coast better when I throttle off but the the ride is harsher and doesn't feel as well planted on the road.  I was wondering what other Corolla owners set their tyres to.

I set mine to what’s on the tyre label on the door jam cant remember what it is tho I haven’t checked them for ages 225/40/18.

I must admit that I have in the past when I had the auris I did inflate the front ones above the recommended amount so that they would not wear so much on the outer edges cant say I noticed any difference in rolling resistance or ride quality.

• Like 4

Hi Kevin,

I would set the pressures in accordance with what's on the door pillar it is the recommended tyre pressure for your car. Also my understanding of tyre pressures is that under or over inflating can lead to various issues with wear. I believe the only time you over inflate is if you are carrying a load, family members, luggage etc.

• Like 7

The confusion no doubt arises from the units used.  One bar is 15 psi so 2.0 bar is 30 psi.  However 2.1 bar is 31.5 psi.  For what ever reason that is shown as 2.1 or 32.

• Like 3

For more accurate and more precise check and adjust you can use bars and stay within the spec shown on the door label with very little discrepancy up or down. For your car is 2.2 bar front and 2.1 bar rear.
Please note that these are numbers on cold tyres and at ambient air temperature (15-24C°). Anything outside those temperatures will off set the pressures and you will need to adjust accordingly.  
For example in the summer when is hot over 18+C° You can add a bit more air like 2.25 / 2.15 bar. However in cold weather like at the moment best to stick to max shown on the door label or just a bit below or bit above like 2.18 / 2.08 bar or 2.21 / 2.11 bar., all that to accommodate the harder rubber due to the low temperatures.
Also try each way and see how the car drives, if too hard, lower the pressures a bit , if too soft pump up a bit. All adjustments needs to be done at least 30-60min after initial drive and not immediately afterwards as tyres warms up and pressure can be very different. 
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/corolla/2020/
Regards 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Yes,  i never pump above max pressure for comfort reason. Higher pressure may reduce rolling resistance 5%  or more but only add 1 mpg max with very uncomfortable ride.  The suspension in corolla and auris are already design for that much of tire pressure and wheel size.  With  16-17 inches wheel, max recommended pressure is just right, with 18 inch, i prefer middle point pressure. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

The confusion no doubt arises from the units used.  One bar is 15 psi so 2.0 bar is 30 psi.  However 2.1 bar is 31.5 psi.  For what ever reason that is shown as 2.1 or 32.

One bar = 14.5 psi

Two bar = 29 psi

2.1 bar = 30.5 psi

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's easy for some to get confused.

I have a friend who topped up their tyres and found the ride a bit harsh.

I think that they got a bit mixed up,as I checked the tyres the next day, and they were in the range of 70-80 psi.

Let a bit out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I always go by what is on the door post. I thought that was what it was there for.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think that they did, but got 3 bar + mixed up with 30 psi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Stivino said:

One bar = 14.5 psi

Two bar = 29 psi

2.1 bar = 30.5 psi

Well 14.69.   I will see what my car has on the pillar. 

• Like 2

Haha, that reminds me of when I picked up the Mk4; The pressure was set to bar and, being used to psi and totally unfamiliar with bar, I thought nothing of the fact the display said 4.2 bar.

Because of the display, I didn't check my tyre pressures straight away since they looked fine and weren't deflating, so it was a while before I hooked my pump and had an :eek: moment when the gauge shot to 60psi!!

Come to think of it that might have been why the 205/45r17s felt so horrible... :laugh: 

With the 15's I've sortof been left to find optimal pressures myself - The other dealer sent me home with them at 20psi on one side (No apology or acknowledgement for that either), and the manual says either 32 or 40psi depending on whether the car is Type A or Type B (Whatever the heck that is - I've yet to decipher that!). I found 32 far too low (The tyres look like they are flat and the handling is so spongy), while 40 makes them feel nice but a touch skittish; I've settled on 38f and 36r for now which seems like a good compromise between a good rolling and steering feel, and not understeering through every corner :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

No, 1 bar = 14.5 psi 

• Like 1

I have set mine to at least 3 PSI over recommended as after having a previous hybrid the tire wear under normal pressures was wearing badly on the outer edges of the tires - meaning under inflated.

After discussing this with a local tire fitting service they recommended me to add about 2PSI in rear and 3 in front.  After doing so the tyre wear was equal.

So it all depends on the model for hybrid... but also on the mileage you do.  If just tottering around town then not much of a concern, but if on the open road mainly then it will reap the rewards of not having unequal tyre wear.

So far after nearly 9000 miles on mine the tyre wear is equal - so adding in makes it better for me.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Roy124 said:

1 atm = 14.69 psi

1 bar = 100 kpa ≈ 14.5 psi

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Is that metric or imperial psi? :whistling1: :laugh: 

Obvs imperial psi (pieces of string) 😛

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Haha, that reminds me of when I picked up the Mk4; The pressure was set to bar and, being used to psi and totally unfamiliar with bar, I thought nothing of the fact the display said 4.2 bar.

Because of the display, I didn't check my tyre pressures straight away since they looked fine and weren't deflating, so it was a while before I hooked my pump and had an :eek: moment when the gauge shot to 60psi!!

Come to think of it that might have been why the 205/45r17s felt so horrible... :laugh: 

With the 15's I've sortof been left to find optimal pressures myself - The other dealer sent me home with them at 20psi on one side (No apology or acknowledgement for that either), and the manual says either 32 or 40psi depending on whether the car is Type A or Type B (Whatever the heck that is - I've yet to decipher that!). I found 32 far too low (The tyres look like they are flat and the handling is so spongy), while 40 makes them feel nice but a touch skittish; I've settled on 38f and 36r for now which seems like a good compromise between a good rolling and steering feel, and not understeering through every corner :laugh: 

32 psi at the front is too low for my MK3 on 15", it physical looks not enough with heavy front end, also eat up the edges of the tyres. It's get pumped up to 35-36. 60 psi is insane, that would no doubt have contributed to the super hard ride. 

• Like 1

Use the recommended pressures but use an accurate gauge.  On cold tires I set them to 2 psi below recommended first, reset the very sensitive TPMS, then add in the additional 2 psi.

• Like 2

I normally check my tyre pressures after washing the car in the shade.

I set them as per the figure on the door jam as I find even an increase of 1psi above this figure makes the ride too harsh, especially with the state of the roads these days.

My gauge reads in psi/kpa/bars and you can switch between them when checking the pressure. 👍

• Like 4

Here is one of the best on the market pressure gauge. I use an older version of this which is even better but not available anymore. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285046923458?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2fWrzZ2QSjK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Stivino said:

No, 1 bar = 14.5 psi 

Atmosphere originally was a unit related to the air pressure at sea level. It was later defined as 1.01325 x 105 pascals. A bar is a pressure unit defined as 100 kilopascals. This makes one atmosphere nearly equal to one bar, specifically: 1 atm = 1.01325 bar.29 Aug 2022

Full marks to Cyker for spotting it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Here is one of the best on the market pressure gauge. I use an older version of this which is even better but not available anymore. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285046923458?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2fWrzZ2QSjK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks Tony , just ordered one 😉

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DC_Ms said:

Thanks Tony , just ordered one 😉

You are welcome 👍