Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What tyre pressure do you use?

Trewithy

6 hours ago, Rambler56 said:

Use the recommended pressures but use an accurate gauge.  On cold tires I set them to 2 psi below recommended first, reset the very sensitive TPMS, then add in the additional 2 psi.

This is a smart idea! It'll reduce the probability of the cold nights triggering the TPMS in the morning.

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Full marks to Cyker for spotting it. 

To be honest I was just being facetious but yay for accidentally making myself look smart :biggrin: 

Wait I shouldn't have typed that part out loud... :fear: :whistling1:

7 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

32 psi at the front is too low for my MK3 on 15", it physical looks not enough with heavy front end, also eat up the edges of the tyres. It's get pumped up to 35-36. 60 psi is insane, that would no doubt have contributed to the super hard ride. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they shouldn't have given me the car like that, but a lot of people also found the PDI had been... abbreviated... on their cars too...

I'm curious to know if your car comes with the tyres at 60 psi and all the parts QR code stickers still stuck to everything when you get yours :laugh: 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

Haha, that reminds me of when I picked up the Mk4; The pressure was set to bar and, being used to psi and totally unfamiliar with bar, I thought nothing of the fact the display said 4.2 bar.

Because of the display, I didn't check my tyre pressures straight away since they looked fine and weren't deflating, so it was a while before I hooked my pump and had an :eek: moment when the gauge shot to 60psi!!

Come to think of it that might have been why the 205/45r17s felt so horrible... :laugh: 

With the 15's I've sortof been left to find optimal pressures myself - The other dealer sent me home with them at 20psi on one side (No apology or acknowledgement for that either), and the manual says either 32 or 40psi depending on whether the car is Type A or Type B (Whatever the heck that is - I've yet to decipher that!). I found 32 far too low (The tyres look like they are flat and the handling is so spongy), while 40 makes them feel nice but a touch skittish; I've settled on 38f and 36r for now which seems like a good compromise between a good rolling and steering feel, and not understeering through every corner :laugh: 

Will try 38f and 36r 👍 also found handling a little spongy even when am not in pocket rocket mode.

• Like 1

Let us know how you get on! Just be aware that's on 15's - I think that might be a touch too high for 16s!

It's also a bit tricky this time of year as the psi changes so much (They're more like 35-33 in the morning now because it's been so cold, but can climb to 39-37 if I've been driving at speed for a while!)

One thing I used to (sometimes) do when I got new tyres, but haven't yet on this car, is draw a chalk line left-to-right on the face of the tyre and see how it wore; If it was even, then that was a good pressure, but if the edges or the centre wore more then I'd know it was under/over inflated.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Let us know how you get on! Just be aware that's on 15's - I think that might be a touch too high for 16s!

It's also a bit tricky this time of year as the psi changes so much (They're more like 35-33 in the morning now because it's been so cold, but can climb to 39-37 if I've been driving at speed for a while!)

One thing I used to (sometimes) do when I got new tyres, but haven't yet on this car, is draw a chalk line left-to-right on the face of the tyre and see how it wore; If it was even, then that was a good pressure, but if the edges or the centre wore more then I'd know it was under/over inflated.

You can just make a note how the tyre gets dust marks, works same as the chalk trick👌My gf tend to keep hers over inflated and I see front ones are 4mm in the middle and 5-6mm on the sides. Not good, I told her and adjusted for her. The best measure is driving comfort, super hard and bumpy means over inflated, super soft means under, the best is in the middle firm but not crushing over bumps with nice and smooth drive 👍 quiet too

• Like 3

Sadly mine picks up too much guck from the roads I go on for that to work; My tyres look like I've been driving through a desert at the moment! (Seriously, where is all this sand coming from?!?!?)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Sadly mine picks up too much guck from the roads I go on for that to work; My tyres look like I've been driving through a desert at the moment! (Seriously, where is all this sand coming from?!?!?)

Haha and the salt which is unbelievable amount. Here how mine look, I think I got them spot on. I did adjust two days ago to 2.21 rear at 7C° air temperature. 👌🛞

6E16CF5C-3FEF-4EE4-82E1-353242F824B5.jpeg

580CA413-6F7B-4809-A8BF-C508089B22D3.jpeg

• Like 3

Gah your rims are so clean!! I've already kerbed the smeg out of my steel rims! :laugh: 

It really is amazing how good condition you maintain yours at. I'd show you mine but I think you'd vomit...  :sick: :unsure: (Mine is currently the home for some spiders and a fruit fly that I haven't been able to evict yet... am hoping the cold will at least kill some of them off!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

On 16s so will go canny and just pump them up tad higher 👍 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Gah your rims are so clean!! I've already kerbed the smeg out of my steel rims! :laugh: 

It really is amazing how good condition you maintain yours at. I'd show you mine but I think you'd vomit...  :sick: :unsure: (Mine is currently the home for some spiders and a fruit fly that I haven't been able to evict yet... am hoping the cold will at least kill some of them off!)

Those fruit flies are a real nuisance, do you keep oranges in your wheels?

Have the spiders not eaten them yet?

I do have spiders in the door mirrors, and have had them in every car that I have owned for a while.

They climb out of the slipstream into the casing when moving, but are tenacious and I suspect are on 3rd or 4th generation now.

I have noticed that they have developed more muscular legs with evolution and can hang on at 70+ mph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Rambler56 said:

Use the recommended pressures but use an accurate gauge.  On cold tires I set them to 2 psi below recommended first, reset the very sensitive TPMS, then add in the additional 2 psi.

Hate it on services as the mechanics always set the correct pressures then reset the TPMS - so it can and does flash up on the dash.  So I always have to do this afterwards.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they shouldn't have given me the car like that, but a lot of people also found the PDI had been... abbreviated... on their cars too...

I'm curious to know if your car comes with the tyres at 60 psi and all the parts QR code stickers still stuck to everything when you get yours :laugh: 

I would not be all the surprise because I'm getting the car from the same dealer group as u did, they were closest to me and i wanted them to beat another dealer's offer, they did so by £50. 

But since taking my deposit they have not replied to a couple of emails I sent them regarding whether my finance package could be moved onto a new package. So already proven none customer service once deposit taken. I do not want to take the car there when it come to annual service time, but they are local so no choice for convenience. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 12:17 PM, TonyHSD said:

Here is one of the best on the market pressure gauge. I use an older version of this which is even better but not available anymore. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285046923458?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2fWrzZ2QSjK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I may have the older version Tony as I've had it for a good while.

I like that this new one has a bleed valve, mine doesn't. I usually pump the tyres up to above the required pressure and drop the pressure to the correct figure. A bleed valve would be handy 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

I may have the older version Tony as I've had it for a good while.

I like that this new one has a bleed valve, mine doesn't. I usually pump the tyres up to above the required pressure and drop the pressure to the correct figure. A bleed valve would be handy 👍

Here is mine, perhaps same as yours? It doesn’t have bleed valve but you can push and release a bit and the air escapes from the valve then push and hold and see the results, works great for me and I love it. If it goes bad will buy this new version. Still good though after many years and use every week. 🛞👍

8657E0F3-7194-4512-97D6-E2799723AA30.webp

• Like 3

I've got a few guages, of them all this one is the most accurate and easiest to use.

• Haha 2

I use one of those old chrome pen shaped ones , I would put a pic up , but it's in the car, and it's cold out there.🥶

Well I say use, but unless the valve is at the top of the wheel, just kick it.

Getting down is ok, it's the getting up again, apparently in excess of 20 old men are found frozen in a crouching position by the side of their cars every winter.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I use one of those old chrome pen shaped ones , I would put a pic up , but it's in the car, and it's cold out there.🥶

Well I say use, but unless the valve is at the top of the wheel, just kick it.

Getting down is ok, it's the getting up again, apparently in excess of 20 old men are found frozen in a crouching position by the side of their cars every winter.

Gave my dad one of these found in the old house and recently tested against electric pump digital one and it seems the old pen is super accurate. Made in England says on it. 👍

• Like 4

Aye Tony, that's the one, I think mine must be 30 or 40 years old.

Interestingly my friend borrows it when he needs an accurate reading,his digital one is tricky to use I think, and he has a rechargeable pump with gauge on it, which I occasionally borrow which does pump up tyres, but the readings on it's gauge are indecipherable unless you grew up programming the computer on Captain Kirk's motor.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Here is mine, perhaps same as yours? It doesn’t have bleed valve but you can push and release a bit and the air escapes from the valve then push and hold and see the results, works great for me and I love it. If it goes bad will buy this new version. Still good though after many years and use every week. 🛞👍

8657E0F3-7194-4512-97D6-E2799723AA30.webp

Hi Tony, looks like mine is an older model than yours, it still does the job, but I may look at the new model 😄

Ps I did go out to the car to get it ❄️❄️

IMG_20221208_184212962.thumb.jpg.bba5a86423a7cae28f0b6176dc9ac336.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Just checked the tyre pressures for my newly delivered Corolla with 225/45 R17  tyres - they were 41 psi fronts, 39 psi rears 🤨. Sticker in driver’s door frame says 33 front, 30 rear but Toyota website says 33 front, 31 rear for Corollas wearing 225/45 R17. I decided to set the TPMS at 33 front, 31 rear but have only deflated the tyres to 36 front, 33 rear for now to see how it rides.

New cars are transported with high pressures which the dealer often seems to fail to reset. And dealers seem to set tyres to the high speed / heavy load recommendations at each service. I would immediately reduce them to the recommended figures for normal speed / load - especially in winter - pressures will increase as the weather gets warmer. One p.s.i won't make much difference either way but I would go with the earlier recommendation in this thread and follow the sticker's advice. 

• Like 2

And another tip for a new owner - check the headlamp load compensator setting! My car was delivered with the headlamps set to maximum dip. I thought the headlamps were rubbish until I discovered and corrected this.

• Like 2