Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Touring Excel MPG Issue

Carlosfandango

I don’t know why but 3 cylinder engines sound like an old hair dryers to me or something similar. Not diesel like but that’s probably just me 😂👌

Aye, the Rav 4 pot can sound a bit dieselly sometimes.  They could do with better soundproofing, as it almost seems louder inside the cabin than outside.

23 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Yaris Cross - yesterday my car was outside all day and iced up when we went out.  Lights, heated seats, steering wheel, max defrost.  The journey to town and back returned about 54 mpg. 

The car was then garaged for an hour then driven in to town, lights, normal fan.  It returned 67 mpg, similar journey but less traffic at 7pm compared to 5pm.

On the longer figures, the average has been around 63 with December trending to high 50s.

Last night, car from garage, 30 mile journey, temperature zero, average 27 mph.  Dual carriage way out, undulating country road back.  EV 43% most of the  time on the  country road when I was driving at about 45 mph. 

The consumption was 57 mpg.  I reckon that is both average and expected cold weather consumption and about 10% down from autumn figure. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I don’t know why but 3 cylinder engines sound like an old hair dryers to me or something similar. Not diesel like but that’s probably just me 😂👌

Modern diesel are still louder than petrol but it's more smooth in sound than the 3/4 pot hybrid. The hybrid ice has an unrefined sound.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:42 PM, Carlosfandango said:

Hi, I bought a new 2 litre Corolla Touring Excel in August and mpg consistently hovered around the 50mpg mark for the first few months then for no apparent reason dropped to less than 40 (around 36mpg at one point). It's now sticking around the 41.5 mark. I live in London and do a lot of city driving on Eco mode but I also drive on motorways reasonably regularly, including a trip to Utrecht where it gave 50mpg all the way there and back. I'm puzzled as to the sudden drop in mpg as I haven't changed my driving style or changed driving modes. The issue began before the cold weather but I was actually getting higher mpg with the aircon in August than I am now! 

Also, it often idles at 1500rpm even when the engine is warm - this is the first hybrid I've owned so I don't know if this is normal (charging batteries etc)

I asked the dealership about it and they were fairly disinterested but acknowledged that it was odd. Can I ask what mpg other Corolla drivers are getting and if anybody has experienced a similar issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Carlos. I also got a new Corolla TS Excel in August this year. For the very first tank of petrol my mpg reached 62. I reset mpg everytime I fill up with fuel. I get my fuel from Costco and its always E10 I buy. For the second tank it dropped to 58 and since then it stayed around 57, until towards the end of October early November when the outside temperature started falling (I live in Edinburgh, so usually colder up here in Scotland than in England) and mpg dropped to around 53. The last few days it has been falling much more because we have had -1 to +1 first thing when I get in the car. Yesterday I noticed it had fallen below 51 for the first time, its now sat at 50.5. The MyT app shows a different picture to what I see in my car (I check for every journey so I know the range of figures, with the average being somewhere within that range) with figures being much lower still. For August it shows 54.7 (whereas the car showed 58-62), in September it shows 55.3 (car figures 57-58), in October it shows 53.1 (car 54-57), November it shows 51.3 (car 52.5-53.5), and so far in December it is showing 49.5 (car 52.5-50.5). Yesterday (8th Dec) the app shows I got 49.1 mpg, the day before (7th Dec) I got 58mpg, same journey (distance 12 miles each way), same temp (-1)! The difference was I drove on EV mode much more on 7th because there had been an accident and I was driving much slower for a large part of the journey.

I have never driven a hybrid before but my driving style has changed since getting this car (I have an average driving score of 88 according to the MyT app!), I would say I am much less aggressive in my driving as I am constantly trying to maximise the EV mode. With my last pure petrol Seat Ateca I got a constant 48-52 mpg all year round no matter the weather for exactly the same journey, so the mpg of the Toyota has disappointed me. But then again the Battery has to do a lot of work in the hybrid car in winter months because of the cold, so is probably not surprising. In a couple of weeks I have a long drive down to my family in Leeds, so it wil be interesting to see what happens there (in my Ateca the mpg always dropped to around 43 for the longer drives!). 

One other thing I have noticed is tyre pressure might be a factor, my TPS warning light comes on when it is very cold then goes off when the tyres warm up. I need to keep checking the pressures to make sure they are inflated properly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I love the sound of our old Aygo when its got a few revs on the clock!

Sort of puts me in mind of an old air-cooled 911!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just done 2 trips in my Yaris, outbound cruised at 70/60 as we were late.  Managed 38 mph and 49 mpg.  The car had been garaged. 

Returned at with a more relaxed drive, 31 mph and 62 mpg. 

Huge saving of fuel at a modest increase in journey time. 

Incidentally Shell E10 £1.489 and E5 £1.669, diesel not available. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...