Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 PHEV

GBgraham

Anyone got their hands on one of these, to own or test drive?

• Like 1

Try a little search of the forum postings, Graham, there are quite a few PHEVs about ... 😉

• Like 2

Yup, since September 2021. 18,500 miles under its belt now.

Moved from 4.4 Hybrid - great car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, philip42h said:

Try a little search of the forum postings, Graham, there are quite a few PHEVs about ... 😉

Thanks for that, I did look to see if there was a sub section for the PHEV, but sorry I didn't do a search but I will now.

Thanks guys

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

Thanks for that, I did look to see if there was a sub section for the PHEV, but sorry I didn't do a search but I will now.

Thanks guys

No, no specific subsection - the PHEVies and HEVies are all lumped in together ... 🙂

As Adrian asks, do you have any specific queries?

• Like 1

They two variants have so much in common it would not make sense to have two forums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

No, no specific subsection - the PHEVies and HEVies are all lumped in together ... 🙂

As Adrian asks, do you have any specific queries?

Yes,I am wishing to upgrade from my C-HR HEV to a RAV4 PHEV and I would like to read about peoples experiences but I am struggling to find much on the RAV4 site 

• Like 1

The problem is there is no topic to cover reviews when owners report findings just usually create a topic or add to one already created.

Overall I’d say people’s experiences are pretty good especially the traction Battery, drive systems coupled with the ICE making long trips anxiety free. If you have a lot of local trips under 40/50miles then that’s covered but the traction Battery, just plug and drive, easy, comfortable and quiet.

Maybe if you define what you’re looking for in making the change people can answer you concerns directly. Why are you making the change from the CHR, maybe a good place to start?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

The problem is there is no topic to cover reviews when owners report findings just usually create a topic or add to one already created.

Overall I’d say people’s experiences are pretty good especially the traction battery, drive systems coupled with the ICE making long trips anxiety free. If you have a lot of local trips under 40/50miles then that’s covered but the traction battery, just plug and drive, easy, comfortable and quiet.

Maybe if you define what you’re looking for in making the change people can answer you concerns directly. Why are you making the change from the CHR, maybe a good place to start?

Thanks ernieb, difficult to define because I have no concerns as such, I seem to get all the info I need on the RAV4 but very little on the PHEV. 

I watched one review and h (May be Petrol Ped) didn't have a clue regarding the Hybrid drive train, I think my wife knew a lot more than he did and she probably does with a lot more that do the reviews.

If I can please ask for the Good, Bad and the Ugly on the PHEV's only it will be appreciated

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GBgraham said:

Yes,I am wishing to upgrade from my C-HR HEV to a RAV4 PHEV and I would like to read about peoples experiences but I am struggling to find much on the RAV4 site 

Had my Dynamic Premium PHEV since March this year. I haven’t regretted changing from the RAV4 HEV. Don’t do much driving so can charge up for 53 miles on electric so don’t need to use any petrol. I did buy a Road Hero space saver tyre (fits nicely) as it doesn’t come with one, just a tube of sealant. No heated steering wheel but that doesn’t matter to me. 

I tend to change cars every 2 years, had three RAV4 HEVs and this is my first PHEV. Other than the points above, I'm very happy and I may keep this one and not look to change in 2024

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can only comment on changing my 2.0L C-HR to an Excel HEV (not a plug in) due to an injury that makes the extra height of the RAV4 better getting in and out of plus much more room in the back and boot. Doesn't handle as well and averages 46mpg for my driving as opposed to 50mpg, the PHEV will obviously do much better for shorter journeys. A point to watch out for is that the PHEV will have the higher road tax (£355 per year for years 2-6) which for me would far exceed any fuel savings.

• Like 2

Graham I would echo Ernie's comments but expand slightly. I had a Lexus HEV which I thought was good most of the time and brilliant at the moments when it was in EV mode, so take the brilliant bit for 40 plus miles add the capacity to capture more recharge and what you get is a genuinely fantastic vehicle plus it will really shift if you want it to, just not round corners too quickly that's something best left to another type of vehicle really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think PHEV has a little bit wider tyres than HEV and that PHEV regenerate slightly better than HEV.

If You can charge often, at home, at work and or at public chargers and comonly dont drive trips thats more/longer than 50km in winter and 75km in summer than PHEV is very god.

PHEV is quite efficent in HV mode to.

We have driven our PHEV 2020 about 3000 Swedish miles ( one mile are 10km) over all seasons winter- summer- winter and  about 72% time on EV and 61% distance on EV and overall 60% on highway speed and then the car has used  aboul 3.1L /100 km average . Quite god for a car that big and strong AWD (all PHEVs at least in Sweden are AWD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ernieb said:

You're never to old to learn eh?

It was new to me too, but makes perfect sense given how many other old measurement systems we still have mixed in. Every day is a school day.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NASY said:

I think the clue was 'Swedish mile", scandi humour.

"Svensk mil " in Swedish 🙂 (10km)

• Like 1

Just love the alternative way the swedes do things their own way and boy can they teach the rest of the world about making seriously good TV programmes. Shame their only remaining car company is Chinese and the Americans quit with the SAAB. 

• Haha 1