Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 PHEV

GBgraham

Thanks to those that came back with some of their experiences. I've now got to decide if the excessive expense justifies the means.

I have also been informed that it will be 2024 before I will see it which is really disgraceful and to me makes no sense.

Maybe time to look at other manufacturers, such as Kia, MG, Volvo, Mazda but no doubt somewhere along the line I will face the same supply problems

I can tell you the MG HS PHEV is no match for the RAV PHEV. I tried one at length and after reading copious reviews from owners it is cheap for a number of reasons. I do however think the interior styling is leagues better than the RAV. I also do not want my money going to China. Good luck getting a Volvo anytime soon too although you might get a Kia however the Kia/Hyundai hybrid system is not as sophisticated as Toyota’s and doesn’t operate at low temperatures. Delivery problems are not unique to Toyota, you can’t currently order a Skoda Octavia PHEV. 

1 hour ago, GBgraham said:

Thanks to those that came back with some of their experiences. I've now got to decide if the excessive expense justifies the means.

What is your motivation for the change? Is it the additional space and practicality of the RAV4 (because it is a 'big' car if you don't need that) or is it particularly for the plug-in hybrid?

Rumour has it that the C-HR Prologue will be available in PHEV form (in 2024) ...

35 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

I can tell you the MG HS PHEV is no match for the RAV PHEV. I tried one at length and after reading copious reviews from owners it is cheap for a number of reasons. I do however think the interior styling is leagues better than the RAV. I also do not want my money going to China. Good luck getting a Volvo anytime soon too although you might get a Kia however the Kia/Hyundai hybrid system is not as sophisticated as Toyota’s and doesn’t operate at low temperatures. Delivery problems are not unique to Toyota, you can’t currently order a Skoda Octavia PHEV. 

Thanks for your input and you are right on a few points but these days it is very difficult to buy anything without influence from the East. 

I wouldn't expect the MG to match the RAV but neither does the price, they do seem good value for the money in comparison. 

My last 2 cars were 2017 BMW X3 2.0d and a 2020 Kia Sportage Mild Hybrid Diesel and you are correct about the Kia/Hyundai  but I believe the PHEV is another entity. Let's forget the Volvo and Skoda as I do find these 2 a bit of a` yawn.

46 minutes ago, philip42h said:

What is your motivation for the change? Is it the additional space and practicality of the RAV4 (because it is a 'big' car if you don't need that) or is it particularly for the plug-in hybrid?

Rumour has it that the C-HR Prologue will be available in PHEV form (in 2024) ...

I just want to go back to a bigger car, (see prev post) especially with a bigger loading space. I'm very happy with the C-HR, it's great economical car but it's just too small for what I have being used to, but if I had to stick with it I wouldn't be too unhappy.

4 hours ago, GBgraham said:

Thanks for your input and you are right on a few points but these days it is very difficult to buy anything without influence from the East. 

I wouldn't expect the MG to match the RAV but neither does the price, they do seem good value for the money in comparison. 

My last 2 cars were 2017 BMW X3 2.0d and a 2020 Kia Sportage Mild Hybrid Diesel and you are correct about the Kia/Hyundai  but I believe the PHEV is another entity. Let's forget the Volvo and Skoda as I do find these 2 a bit of a` yawn.

I am talking specifically about the Kia/Hyundai PHEV - and from my reading and various comparison reviews the hybrid set up is not as good as Toyota. Having driven a new Tucson PHEV There are other areas where Kia/Hyundai blow Toyota out of the water but ultimately for me it was towing capability, better EV range, better PHEV system in its totality and reliability that were instrumental in choosing the RAV. 

Of course I've only had reviews to go on at the moment but the RAV, MG and Kia come out well and within their own reflected price ranges. I would expect the Toyota hybrid to be on top of the game as they are the masters with years of R & D.

As the matter of cost I could go back to owning a Kia with the new Sportage which I believe is superior to the Tucson. One car I would not go back to is the BMW X3, this was the most disappointing car I have ever bought. 

I can only think that Toyota are going to shoot themselves in the foot with such massive lead times as in someone like me that could be ready to change their car has to wait a minimum of 12 months because this will/can lead to a brand change. 

3 hours ago, GBgraham said:

Of course I've only had reviews to go on at the moment but the RAV, MG and Kia come out well and within their own reflected price ranges. I would expect the Toyota hybrid to be on top of the game as they are the masters with years of R & D.

As the matter of cost I could go back to owning a Kia with the new Sportage which I believe is superior to the Tucson. One car I would not go back to is the BMW X3, this was the most disappointing car I have ever bought. 

I can only think that Toyota are going to shoot themselves in the foot with such massive lead times as in someone like me that could be ready to change their car has to wait a minimum of 12 months because this will/can lead to a brand change. 

the upgrades in the Kia drivetrain are being introduced to Hyundai gradually, they are built in the same factory in CZ. However agree about Toyota lead times and if buying new now I am not sure what we would go for other than the Mazda CX60. It has good towing credentials and the interior is leagues ahead of the current RAV. 

On 12/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, GBgraham said:

I have also been informed that it will be 2024 before I will see it which is really disgraceful and to me makes no sense.

Maybe time to look at other manufacturers, such as Kia, MG, Volvo, Mazda but no doubt somewhere along the line I will face the same supply problems

You can get a Mazda CX-60 (same engine as the Rav4 but different auto box also a PHEV) they have some for delivery if you check out their website.

There are new RAV4 PHEVs available straight away on AutoTrader. Whether these really exist when you enquire is another matter.

Is the Suzuki Across available? Being a RAV4 PHEV in drag it might be an option.

2 hours ago, nlee said:

There are new RAV4 PHEVs available straight away on AutoTrader. Whether these really exist when you enquire is another matter.

I can almost guarantee they do not exist - I have complained to Autotrader about this type of misinformation in their adverts but their excuse is they simply print the copy supplied by the dealers who take out block ads for a period of months and have a disclaimer in the small print. There is one particular Toyota dealer group very bad for it and another dealer chain for Hyundai (amongst others) who blatantly advertise discounted prices that are effectively unavailable. At least Carwow pulled their ads. 

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Is the Suzuki Across available? Being a RAV4 PHEV in drag it might be an option.

I looked at the Suzuki website a few weeks ago and theoretically it is. 

21 hours ago, Roger_N said:

Mazda CX-60 (same engine as the Rav4 but different auto box also a PHEV)

I may be wrong, but I thought this is only half right/slightly misleading - don't they share the 2.5L ICE engine, but not the mg1/mg2 motor set up, and so the overall package is less efficient in their set up, no?

I thought they had the same engine block, but opted for a driveshaft or gearbox mounted motor, so can only recover energy from braking, rather than the Toyota which can also recover energy from the engine that would otherwise be wasted. 

21 hours ago, Roger_N said:

Mazda CX-60 (same engine as the Rav4 but different auto box also a PHEV)

I will, however, second whoever was mentioning/suggesting that modern mazda interiors are a much nicer place to be. Not bad-mouthing the Rav, but it's closer to utilitarian/practical ethos, than luxury/"premium", which is what mazda are currently aiming at. 

Both infotainment systems are pretty shoddy tho. However in both cases this can be easily circumvented thru AA/AC. 

• Like 1

I tried an MX5 and felt that my old bones would not survive more than the few miles we covered in the test drive. The RAV suspension is significantly better.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

I tried an MX5 and felt that my old bones would not survive more than the few miles we covered in the test drive. The RAV suspension is significantly better.

An MX5 is hardly a RAV alternative…… 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike2222 said:

I may be wrong, but I thought this is only half right/slightly misleading - don't they share the 2.5L ICE engine, but not the mg1/mg2 motor set up, and so the overall package is less efficient in their set up, no?

Mike

It's not the Rav4 setup but have a look at this if you have not already. The one thing that puts me off is it's size 6" longer than the Rav4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLwgDd6PVuU

Thought the MX5 was actually quite a soft and compliant ride Ernie. Maybe you should test drive the typo.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

Isn't the Typo a Fiat tho'? :laugh: 

Other way round. The Fiat is an MX5 in drag and without the MZR engine.

59 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Isn't the Typo a Fiat tho'? :laugh: 

The Tipo is a Fiat - but for how successful it's been, it could well have been a Typo.

The Fiat version of the MX-5 was the 124 Spider (now out of production).

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, GBgraham said:

With respect, it's hardly a disgrace that Toyota UK have sold their whole allocation of MY23 RAV4 HEV and PHEV models - they simply can't build enough of them quickly enough! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, duncerduncs said:

With respect, it's hardly a disgrace that Toyota UK have sold their whole allocation of MY23 RAV4 HEV and PHEV models - they simply can't build enough of them quickly enough! 

👍 Good post - (Skoda must be disgraceful too for no longer taking orders for the Octavia PHEV…… until current orders are fulfilled). Tut tut…. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links