Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre pressure symbol

Ian saunders

Hi all 

Got a MK3 1.5 non hybrid ,not driven for a week or two ,started today with the tyre pressure symbol illuminated hand book says that a reset switch is under dash board ,it was dark but could not find it ,any clues to whereabouts? 

• Like 1

On the yaris its under the dash near the pedals if not look in the glovebox. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

The first thing I'd do is check the tyre pressures.

Even if there isn't an issue with one tyre, as the weather cools they drop faster than the usual leakage. Conversely I find that through spring to summer the rise usually cancels out the leakage. (Haven't done mine for a few weeks - on my to-do list.)

• Like 3

I don't know this model but is the purpose of the reset switch not simply to put the light out, but to reset the system when all the tyres are at the correct pressure? 

For instance my Yaris Cross was delivered with all tyres at 2.7 bar.  When I set them to the correct pressure the TPMS light illuminated.  I had to follow the reset procedure whereupon the light extinguished. 

Do as Mike says, check the pressures are correct and then reset if that light is still on. 

PS, for those that need to drive some distance to a filling station, set the required pressure to 2-3 psi or 0.2 bar higher than stated. 

Same old thing comes up yearly, the Temperature drops the air in the tires gets denser, the pressure drops, the reset just sets the tire pressure range - Just make sure you check your tire pressures

• Like 3

On mine which is the same as yours I think, the tyre pressure reset button is on a flap hanging down above the accelerator pedal. A sod to access without kneeling on the floor. With ignition on hold the button down for about three seconds. Should reset the system. Naturally check your tyre pressures first. Good videos on YouTube explain.

Most other makes indicate which tyre has the problem. More cost cutting by Toyota.

• Like 1

MY21 Yaris Cross has a display of all pressures on the Smart Screen.  Shame they don't monitor the spare, if fitted. 

Resetting the TPMS is interesting.  You follow the procedure and then have to drive the car at a slow speed weaving left and right, or drive up to 100 miles. 

Who thought that one up?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bemused2 said:

Most other makes indicate which tyre has the problem.

Some do, and some don't. Eg Hyundai don't for this market sector.

• Like 2

It seems to be a relatively new thing; I don't recall previous gen Toyotas or even other marques (until you get into the very expensive premium end) having it either which is why it's one of the features I'm still pleasantly surprised by; The Mk4 especially can have a lot of things that I've only ever seen on much higher-end cars that are virtually unheard of in the 'budget' (haha) small car segment!

I wouldn't be surprised if it appears on next gen Hyundais and Kias at some point too...

The tpms data is available over can from around 2014 on the yaris with the later mk3 with the MID in the instrument cluster it can be programmed as it's the same basic Denso cluster as the gt86 and rav4 iirc they have options like tpms and g-force meter

• Like 3

I think it's tucked away and difficult to find for a reason, our TPW light came on, I adjusted and corrected the tyre pressures and the warning light went out on it's own without pressing the reset.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Some do, and some don't. Eg Hyundai don't for this market sector.

My Yaris M4 does indicate which tyre it is, and it’s not the top of the range model, and once checked and brought up to correct pressure the light disappeared. I didn’t have to drive a long journey at all.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

The tpms data is available over can from around 2014 on the yaris with the later mk3 with the MID in the instrument cluster it can be programmed as it's the same basic Denso cluster as the gt86 and rav4 iirc they have options like tpms and g-force meter

Yeah, that's why it baffled me why it's taken so long for them to show that data to the driver in the car as part of the normal dash info; It is something that's relatively easy, since the data is already available, and is genuinely useful to a driver, and deserved some zots allocated to it, as opposed to, say, having an entire menu for being able to change the colour theme of the interface to something worse or a sign recognition system that can't tell between 20 and 70 or 30 and 80, or a lane departure system that tries to steer you into parked cars... :whistling1: :laugh: 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, flash22 said:

Same old thing comes up yearly, the Temperature drops the air in the tires gets denser, the pressure drops, the reset just sets the tire pressure range - Just make sure you check your tire pressures

I just checked my wife's car which I think I haven't done since late October. I always set them 1psi above plate to allow a bit of loss before I next check them, and they were all 4psi below plate. So I'd estimate that they'd dropped about 4psi due to the temperature.

Good bit of exercise on the foot pump though 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Good bit of exercise on the foot pump though 

Open boot, extract electric pump, car in Ready mode.  Plug into power socket, set pressure, plug into tyre.  Switch on. 

Go for coffee.  

Rinse and repeat. 

I have two pumps now.  One I bought for my Corolla and a Toyota one that came with the Yaris.  Must put it on eBay

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cheers for replying,checked pressures all the same though 2 psi below recommended,so adjusted and the warning light extinguished,saved having to look for a elusive reset button 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Go for coffee.

Rinse and repeat.

I think my exercise with the foot pump is probably healthier than 8 shots of caffeine (we have two cars) 🙂

I do have an electric pump, but it's not a preset one and overall it's more bother to use than my foot. And these days if I walk away from anything it'll be hours before I remember to go back ... And that reminds me that I put a load in the tumble drier 5 hours ago 😧

• Haha 5

Cold weather has tiggered my pressure warnings too. All 4 were shown at 28 psi but only 3 had amber warnings. Must be some rounding happening on the displayed values.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

Cold weather has tiggered my pressure warnings too. All 4 were shown at 28 psi but only 3 had amber warnings. Must be some rounding happening on the displayed values.

It depends what the pressures were when someone initialised it.   The beauty of the latest version is that it allows the owner to rotate the tyres or have a second set.  That would have been a trip to the dealer on some earlier systems.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was -4 here yesterday and the tyre warning never illuminated, today it was -7 and it was on when I got in the car, I have read the thread but am a little confused, I get the cold weather air in tyre density explanation as being the trigger for the warning (assuming no puncture) my question is if I leave it as it is now will the light go out when I take it for a long drive later and get heat into the tyres or will the light stay on now whatever I do until a reset it?

4 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

It was -4 here yesterday and the tyre warning never illuminated, today it was -7 and it was on when I got in the car, I have read the thread but am a little confused, I get the cold weather air in tyre density explanation as being the trigger for the warning (assuming no puncture) my question is if I leave it as it is now will the light go out when I take it for a long drive later and get heat into the tyres or will the light stay on now whatever I do until a reset it?

The light will go off after some drive as tyres heat up and pressure rises. Best to check and adjust before driving and set at max recommended pressures, no more especially when is freezing cold.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

Thanks Tony.

You are welcome. 

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

What you have to remember is it’s an effect of physics and whether or not it comes back, if you choose to ignore low pressures, the safety and legality of your car.  It might seem very inconvenient but really that light is an indication that your tyres need inflating not that the pressure coming back is pending.   It’s up to you but Toyota and Continental or Falken will tell you to pump them up (if you’re going any distance) and let them down again on Sunday.  Don’t assume either that if it came from 2 bar it’ll go back there.  

Eee, in my day you’d to check the tyres and lights every week and don’t get me started on oil because I’m sure British Leyland had a deal with some oil baron.  

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, anchorman said:

, if you choose to ignore low pressures, the safety and legality of your car.

In the 40+ years i have been driving i have never had a tyre indicator i am not about to start stressing when i see the indicator is on at -7 and it isn't at -4.

BTW it went out after a couple of miles when i took the wife shopping earlier  😉

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links