Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ice in Charging Plug

NASY

I plugged my PHEV in this morning not realising there was ice in the free plug. So the result was the pushing back of the top right small pin on the car socket. Okay I admit it was my fault not checking and am not concerned that the car can't be charged right now, I'm sure I can fix it. Just wanted to let people know it's a possibility, thankfully not a Battery only car.

Sorry, John I can not picture what the issue is? The car socket under the flap has a cover and my charging cable has a cover over the end of the plug. Sorry if it’s obvious.

Okay so the pin is not actually pushed back, it's designed to be last to connect and first to disconnect. My problem was ice had formed beneath the plug cover on the free cable and when pushed in the plug was not fully home. Once thawed it works perfectly.

Thanks, not experienced the problem myself. I guess keeping each of the parts as dry as possible would help elevate the problem.

When I bought the car was was concerned about charging with the port cover open and the plug exposed to the rain, snow and ice. I couldn’t buy an appropriately sized waterproof cover so bought the largest I could find and sewed in a additional section which works well enough.

6D53E83A-75F2-4D9F-B63C-FC2EAA6B458F.jpeg

That is one mother of a cover, maybe I need to do something similar or just charge inside the tractor shed when the weather's really bad. 

25 minutes ago, NASY said:

That is one mother of a cover, maybe I need to do something similar or just charge inside the tractor shed when the weather's really bad. 

Yep, but when you think of it the size of the flap and surround area around the charging socket is huge. That was the problem in trying to source one. This will give you a better idea of how I modified the bought one.

40151466-8A45-492F-92CD-EE03943F0E1A.jpeg