Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front pre collision system doesn't work

Leo63

Hi I have 22 plate GR SPORT 2.0 I have noticed the front pre collision system doesn't seem to  be working I tested it driving up to a wall  plus the a person and it didn't work. The front sensor worked going red but no warning message brake or it didn't apply the brakes.

I did the same test by reversing and the rear pre collision system work prefect it gave the message brake on the dashboard and then applied the  brakes.

I know there was a problem with the  front pre collision system with the front radar and there was a recall on CHR 2019-2021.

It seems that my 2022 CHR as the same problem as anyone had same or similar problems with front pre collision system or tested the pre collision system.

It looks like a trip to dealership in the New Year.

Had this appear on my phone earlier - but this was while the windscreen was being replaced so obviously the camera was unplugged as part of the process.

Screenshot_20221216-213504.png

• Like 1

A couple of silly questions.... how sensitive have you got the system?  There are 3 settings (Low, Medium, High) with the 'Low' setting giving a very early indication of impending doom!

How fast are you travelling towards the object?  The PCS is designed to slow/stop you from a speed of around 10mph and above.  Good luck finding someone willing to be driven towards when you're doing 10mph!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So if you test it again, and actually hit something, what do you expect your insurer will say when you tell them the circumstances??

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So if you test it again, and actually hit something, what do you expect your insurer will say when you tell them the circumstances??

My Wife had no problem driving at me to prove the system worked.... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The system is turned on high sensitivity the speed is creep up to the object or person the parking sensors work prefect but pre collision system doesn't work no warning message brake or a message saying system malfunction. 

I have checked the pre collision system  on the rear which worked perfectly.

I checked the pre collision system on previous car which was a Corolla Design Hybrid and the front and rear worked perfectly.

I used the wife and bumper touch her leg I think I will  have try it at speed next time 🤣

• Haha 4

mine MY22 did 2 automatic panic stops as a bike tryed to cross the road lets say 50meters

more scared from the panic brake than the bike that crossed the road

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think I let the wife have Christmas and New Year before I try the testing the car by getting her to stand in front of the car.

• Haha 3

I don't have a car with PCS, so no first hand experience. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a24511826/safety-features-automatic-braking-system-tested-explained/

The above article looks interesting, especially the inflatable car - it could save spoiling your wife's /mother-in-law's Christmas, and the subsequent, general 'bad feelings'.

Although the dummy in the article apparently cost 'five figures'. 

Maybe the answer lies with an inflatable toy (no sniggering at the back...!) covered in cooking foil? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I drive slowly into my garage and it will brake before it hits the CARDBOARD Box (clue there for would be murderers) and it brakes hard. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I drive slowly into my garage and it will brake before it hits the CARDBOARD Box (clue there for would be murderers) and it brakes hard. 

Similarly, my wife's MY21 C-HR won't allow me to drive slowly into the back wall of the garage - it takes over and firmly applies the brakes flashing "Brake!" as it does so.

My MY20 RAV4 will happily let me drive into the wall ... 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When the pre collision works it fully applies the brakes at the last moment and it is an emergency stop, I certainty wouldn't test it by driving at a wall or person.  I have tested mine by driving towards the empty large cardboard box that my TV came in, I really wanted to brake but I keep going until it auto braked with a jolt.  I also tried it in reverse and I can confirm that it does auto stop at reverse parking speed.

• Like 2

I'll need to check if my RAV4 has this feature, certainly never used it or seen it operating 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well my CHR went to the dealership today and for the pre collision system not working.

And no faults showing and I was told that the system was  working. So I said can you show me it working and we put a cone in front of my car and drove towards the cone and my CHR hit the cone and no message on the dash saying brake etc.

Then we tried the courtesy car which was also CHR and we did the same test and the courtesy pre collision system worked perfectly and stopped as it should In front of the cone.

My CHR was taken back to workshop for further investigation.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I hope your dealer has learned an important lesson today - Don't just rely on what the computer says!

It's a bid sad as they should know better as trained technicians.

Well done for forcing them to check and verify the problem.

The look on their faces must have been priceless :laugh: 

• Like 5

It makes wonder how many more CHR with front pre collision system not working as it should. And yes it was fun seeing the Technicians and service advisor face.

We tested the courtesy car using a cardboard box  before returning back to the dealership to collecting my car so I already knew the courtesy car system worked OK. 

And I had done the same test a few months ago on my car and it flattered the box.

It a bit frightening how many more cars the pre collision system doesn't work my CHR was built in May 2022 and I took delivery in June 2022 I don't even know if the pre collision system worked from new.

• Like 2

I've had the red brake warning flash & beep on mine a couple of times, I assume yours doesn't do that?

• Like 3

My old Prius caught me out as I pulled into an overgrown parking space,  a piece of bramble branch was dangling down and it stopped me very abruptly. I stepped out expecting to find a low kerb or something solid. Mind you it did let me back into the upright of a wide JCB digger blade. Good job I was going very slow, still left an impression in the bumper though..

Now where can I find a big box…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Now where can I find a big box…..

• Haha 4

Yes I  had that issue with the brake warning whilst driving odd times.

• Like 2

We I have got car back from the dealership today and the front pre collision system as been reset and it all seems good. 

• Like 2

What was the problem? The system was just off or needed recalibration or something??

I am not sure all they told me there was no faults found but it 2 different technicians worked on the car and all they told me the system was reset and the system is now working as it should. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links