Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

things i hate about my new Corolla.

jcr71

3 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

An irritant is the auto lock and unlock - this works well for us excepting when I clean the car (does anyone has a work around to prevent the car auto locking and unlocking?)   

I keep a Faraday pouch in the car.  When I'm washing the car I stick the keys in that. Annoying I agree.

• Like 1

Title for OP should be 10 things I hate about corolla! A lot of the dislikes are down to personal preference rather than bad design or features.

Regarding LED not being great sometimes at night/rain/fog is because of the 6k temp. Why do manufacturer only supply this so not 'cool' colour temp. If I had my way it would 5k temp, no blue, better on the eye and lit up the road well. 4.3k has more lumens though not as white as 5k. They need to listen and give options of 4300 & 5000k temp on the led. 

8 hours ago, Talking Hoarse said:

An irritant is the auto lock and unlock - this works well for us excepting when I clean the car (does anyone has a work around to prevent the car auto locking and unlocking?)  

On your 'Smart' key, hold LOCK and press UNLOCK twice - That disables the transmitter on the key until you press one of the buttons again.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

The Infotainment system seems to be completely alien to the the manual - I suspect that I have the manual for pre 2022 facelift model. 

For my Yaris I have taped the irrelevant infotainment pages. 

On auto locking while washing - put the keys in the car.  It will burble at you but won't lick the  doors. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 11:31 PM, jcr71 said:

no idea what cars from the 70's have to do anything?

maybe you like driving around in a four wheeled computer that does everything short of wiping your backside for you. personally i like to be in as full control of the experience as possible.

i get my enjoyment from being in control of the vehicle, not the vehicle being in control of my journey.

I believe that refence to cars of the 70's is simply that that's how far back you would need to go to 'avoid' the technology that you obviously don't get on with!

Now that's a though, a car that will clean the derriere!!

I've never personally understood the rationale that makes people think that you have any less control over the car with auto transmission, auto wipers, auto headlights etc. etc.

• Like 2

For me it's actually give more controls on things like auto headlights/wipers, still can turn them off. Auto transmission, if one don't like it then get a manual. 

There is one thing I will not like about newer cars are the LTA, living in greater London, forever crossing the center line, so having to turn it off each time will be a pain. Haven't got the MK4 Yaris yet, so may find other things I may not like. Having said that, I know it will be so much superior to the MK3. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

For me it's actually give more controls on things like auto headlights/wipers, still can turn them off. Auto transmission, if one don't like it then get a manual. 

There is one thing I will not like about newer cars are the LTA, living in greater London, forever crossing the center line, so having to turn it off each time will be a pain. Haven't got the MK4 Yaris yet, so may find other things I may not like. Having said that, I know it will be so much superior to the MK3. 

You should have gone for the Corolla.  The LTA stays off permanently!!!!

• Like 1

I must admit I don't like it when you only have things on Auto - One bugbear of my Mk4 is I can't turn the front lights off - There is literally no Off position! Only Auto, sidelights or beams!

This means if I'm parked up at night, e.g. waiting for someone, and want to just listen to music or something, I can't do it without my car lighting up unnecessarily. In the day time it's fine - As long as you stay in Park it doesn't turn on the DRLs, but at night it turns on the main beams, sometimes even before I've started the car!!

It also means I can't stop the car switching between DRLs and Dipped Beams during the day time when e.g. driving under trees or something. Very annoying.

At least with the auto-wipers I can override it as it still thankfully has an Off position as well as the manual modes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Yeah the LTA is off all the time on mine. I did try and use it on the Motorway but I don't like the way it's constantly twitching or that it seems to hug the right side of a lane. I feel that I'm constantly trying to fight it which is more tiring than leave it off. And if it does settle down and I can relax my grip it then moans at me for not holding on.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 8:30 AM, jcr71 said:

i think you are misunderstanding what i mean by the steering wheel being off centre Tony.

when sat in the car, rather than being positioned directly in front of you, the steering wheel is physically positioned slightly to the right of centre. 

I thought I was crazy thinking that the driver's seat is not completely centered to the steering wheel, but I guess that I've found another crazy human!

✌️

I think that my seat is positioned slightly to the right of centre, being a left hand drive car, and your seat is positioned slightly to the left of centre. I mean, the steering wheel and column are where they are, and seats should be positioned accordingly...

It's almost nothing, but I was able to spot it... 

• Like 1

So you are saying that Corolla seats are slightly positioned to the centre of the car? Perhaps some safety reasons and the fact that the car has thicker doors and sills. Not a big deal imo. Are any other new models in similar situation? Yaris, Yaris cross , rav4 ? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

So you are saying that Corolla seats are slightly positioned to the centre of the car? Perhaps some safety reasons and the fact that the car has thicker doors and sills. Not a big deal imo. Are any other new models in similar situation? Yaris, Yaris cross , rav4 ? 

Yes.

It's nothing, but I've noticed that the seat is not perfectly centered to the steering wheel. I don't think it's related with any safety features, the space is enough between the seat and every door element, but I agree is not an issue at all... I'll guess that the RAV4 and the Corolla Cross have the same steering column, the Yaris design is 'completely' different.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kental said:

You should have gone for the Corolla.  The LTA stays off permanently!!!!

Ah damn, a bit strange that it isn't across the board, maybe gen5 will keep LTA all the time. Couldn't afford the corolla 2.0 so it's the Yaris instead! It's a good that the Yaris has much better fuel economy than the 2.0 corolla, so no choice means good choice 🙂

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 11:40 PM, Devon Aygo said:

i had a look for a locking nipple on my boot release today, my car doesnt appear to have one.  

5 hours ago, davidif said:

I believe that refence to cars of the 70's is simply that that's how far back you would need to go to 'avoid' the technology that you obviously don't get on with!

thats nonsense. all my cars made up until around 10 years or so ago, were basic cars without a computers monitoring everything i do and screens stuck on the dashboard.

even my Seat Leon from 2019 wasnt overly intrusive 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jcr71 said:

thats nonsense. all my cars made up until around 10 years or so ago, were basic cars without a computers monitoring everything i do and screens stuck on the dashboard.

even my Seat Leon from 2019 wasnt overly intrusive 

I'd largely agree with that. Until my present car (Mk 8 Fiesta) 😎😎😎 I'd not really felt hassled by intrusive systems/messaging. My car previous to that (coincidentally a Leon Mk 3) didn't bother me at all. The annoying nannying safety stuff is now common across most cars due to legislation, although when GSR 2 hits us in full I may be inclined to pack it in!😀

Anyway, back to the topic. As a potential Corolla owner I'm finding this thread very interesting - and also reassuring as I'm not seeing any serious deal breakers in here so far!

(PS don't know how the sunglasses guy got in there, can't get rid of it!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

and just to add salt to the wound. my car wont start this morning. totally dead, even doors not responding to key fob!

• Sad 1

Jason, we stand with steaming breath awaiting part 2 of this thrilling tale. 

Seriously, we hope it was a simple flat Battery, short runs yesterday with lots of electrics, extreme cold, and a light left on. 

Could happen to anyone or any car, ICE or HV.  At least with the HV you don't need a massive jump starter. 

• Like 4

it was a flat Battery. to be fair i think it was caused by some equipment retro fitted to the car, that is not shutting down when the car is switched off.

car had been sat unused from Friday afternoon until Tuesday morning, in very cold temps.

as soon as a jump pack was connected, normal business was resumed.

took the car down the motorway for an hour, hopefully that was enough to recharge the Battery.

• Like 1

downloaded the Toyota app yesterday and it doesnt recognise my cars number plate :wacko:

Something else....  Well admittedly this is not a hate but more I will learn to live with.  

Just had a trip of 800+ miles over a few days, on filthy roads.  Overall my car is great, but after about 600 miles the screen washers both failed - fortunately due to lack of washer fluid and worked again after a fill up.  But there was no  warning lamp of low fluid level.  Yes - my screenwash was full before I left.  I shall carry screen wash next time.

And ... has anyone found a way to keep the reversing camera lense (and boot release handle too) clean in damp weather?

But overall - there is very much more to love about the car.  It dispatches miles swiftly with ease.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Talking Houbik said:

Something else....  Well admittedly this is not a hate but more I will learn to live with.  

Just had a trip of 800+ miles over a few days, on filthy roads.  Overall my car is great, but after about 600 miles the screen washers both failed - fortunately due to lack of washer fluid and worked again after a fill up.  But there was no  warning lamp of low fluid level.  Yes - my screenwash was full before I left.  I shall carry screen wash next time.

And ... has anyone found a way to keep the reversing camera lense (and boot release handle too) clean in damp weather?

But overall - there is very much more to love about the car.  It dispatches miles swiftly with ease.

I have Auris hatchback and gets very dirty once the weather is bad.
The only way to keep the camera and number plate lights clean and the door handle is to wipe them more often, I do every day 👍

43 minutes ago, Talking Houbik said:

Known issue which has been raised with Toyota & is caused by the vehicles aerodynamic design. 

Toyota could redesign the rear of the vehicle to cure the issue BUT fuel efficiency will suffer. 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 6:13 PM, Talking Houbik said:

I find if locked and fob in your pocket, then when washing the door handles it clicks open and mirrors unfold... then close again... and open again...

Either do the lock button hold and press unlock twice to switch key off - or if not leaving the vehicle unsecured leave fob in car until you have finished.

Best option I find is unlock the car > open the door... then close door... and wash car whilst unlocked.

• Like 3

Do you know how much washer fluid the Corolla's bottle holds? I ran out of fluid in my Yaris on Monday and discovered the washer bottle only seems to hold 1 litre!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links