Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 order books closed

Devon Aygo

You could also sell privately and get a further discount on the new car. I always negotiate an either/or price and rarely trade-in…… which sometimes pee’s off the dealer presumably thinking they were onto a nice little earner on my car. 

Lucky I ordered my RAV4 OK back in November then by the sound of it, albeit with a 9-12 month delivery. Especially as I’d been hanging on for the ‘23 model with the improved infotainment display.

Interesting too that despite the apparent RAV4 shortages, Toyota seem to be pushing the C-HR hybrid quite hard at the moment, with adverts for it every evening on TV recently.

10 minutes ago, Griff_4988 said:

Interesting too that despite the apparent RAV4 shortages, Toyota seem to be pushing the C-HR hybrid quite hard at the moment, with adverts for it every evening on TV recently.

Current C-HR isn't long for this world as it entered it's seventh year of production, I've not seen any updates announced for the 23MY either like the big Corolla refresh & update.

The new CHR has already been leaked and previewed. There will be a PHEV version probably using Prius PHEV components, however it is unclear if it was will come to the UK. The Corolla Cross will also hopefully become available this year too. 

I went into our local Toyota dealer as she is thinking about a new Yaris, for which she was quoted a 3-6 month lead time. They did say that after some initial talk about the Corolla Cross Toyota UK have been very quiet on the subject. This is a shame as I tried a Yaris Cross for size as a potential smaller replacement for my RAV4 in a couple of years and it's just too small for me as a tall driver and even the Corolla is too tight for anyone to sit behind me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered RAV4 PHEV in Sep 2022.

Delivery given as Sep 2023.

Dealer silent despite emails requests for update.

Reading above, wondering if this vehicle will ever arrive.....

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 11:16 AM, lightboxcar said:

Ordered RAV4 PHEV in Sep 2022.

Delivery given as Sep 2023.

Dealer silent despite emails requests for update.

Reading above, wondering if this vehicle will ever arrive.....

If you ordered the 2023 version with the updated displays then I'd stick. If you ordered the prior version I'd be tempted to cancel and reorder a 2023 at the next opportunity.

• Like 1

Ordered Feb ‘22 told Nov’22 then July 23 latest Sept ‘23

Dealer I ordered with has been bought out by Inchcape so that’s not helped. As Inchcape don’t seem interested.

Hybird, UK, Dynamic Premium Plus, don’t think I’ll see it!

• Sad 1

On 2/1/2023 at 8:33 PM, Nick72 said:

If you ordered the 2023 version with the updated displays then I'd stick. If you ordered the prior version I'd be tempted to cancel and reorder a 2023 at the next opportunity.

It doesn't work like that, it doesn't matter what and when you ordered the car, if the car wasn't built already, it will be 2023 model.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kucyk said:

It doesn't work like that, it doesn't matter what and when you ordered the car, if the car wasn't built already, it will be 2023 model.

Are you sure? When I've ordered new cars in the past they've been against the particular spec I requested and even with a model upgrade in the middle I still ended up with the former model. Mercs, BMWs, Peugeot in the past. Are Toyota doing something different. I mean, if I ordered the 2022 or prior model then that's what I expect to get. Not the new model I might not like.

2 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Are you sure? When I've ordered new cars in the past they've been against the particular spec I requested and even with a model upgrade in the middle I still ended up with the former model. Mercs, BMWs, Peugeot in the past. Are Toyota doing something different. I mean, if I ordered the 2022 or prior model then that's what I expect to get. Not the new model I might not like.

Yes, in part because the supply of components for the 22MY cars will have been used up and I do not believe anyone builds 23MY cars alongside 22MY cars! Last year Toyota did honour some Black Edition orders into 2022 but that was possible because there weren’t any changes elsewhere in the range between 21 and 22MY specs beyond minor lighting upgrades. There may also be legislative requirements behind some changes such they cannot sell 22MY cars after a certain date. I am not sure why you wouldn’t want the later better spec? I also suspect the examples you refer to were not subject to the same lead-in times currently being experienced by Toyota and others. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

. I am not sure why you wouldn’t want the later better spec?

Later spec is not always better. Classic example change from full size spare to space saver then tyre inflation kit. 

• Like 2

No but at trade-in time a later spec car will almost always be worth more. And in this case the 23MY spec has the improved infotainment system too. Has the RAV4 mk5 ever had a full size spare included? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:Has the RAV4 mk5 ever had a full size spare included? 

No

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Has the RAV4 mk5 ever had a full size spare included? 

Yes, but not, AFAIK, in the UK market - the wheel well is clearly engineered to accommodate a full sized spare for markets that need one.

But we digress somewhat ... normally when one orders a RAV4 it is against the current MY specifications and pricelist - that is what is agreed  and forms the basis of your 'contract' with the dealer. And, normally, that is what you will get.

As the new MY specifications and prices are released, the order book for current MY cars is closed and there may be a short pause before the order book for new MY cars is opened - allowing Toyota to fulfil orders for the current model year before starting production of the new MY.

And everyone gets what they ordered at the price they expected to pay ...

But these are not normal times and, as the thread title suggests, the order book for the RAV4 remains 'closed'.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, philip42h said:

But these are not normal times

That may be changing, quite interesting article here :

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/new-car-supply-improving-fast-in-2023-as-manufacturers-begin-increasing-targets/277614

Seems some are better than others

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, lightboxcar said:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/new-car-supply-improving-fast-in-2023-as-manufacturers-begin-increasing-targets/277614

And to quote just one snippet from that article:

Snows, a south coast dealer group, represents a host of Stellantis brands, Kia, Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, BMW and Mini, among others.  

‘Supply from the brands we represent is still a challenge,’ said McCue. 

‘It’s no way back to normal and some cars are still facing lead times of well over a year. It’s still a challenge to get a lot of product

But the very fact that such an article is written - in a publication targeting car dealers - demonstrates the level of the current problems. Where lead times are currently in excess of a year they are unlikely to drop to a matter of weeks any time soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lightboxcar said:

Some have always been better than others, Peugeot, Citroen and MG to name 3 have not had the excessive delivery lead-in times experienced by many/most other manufacturers. The reality is as others have said these are not normal times so insisting that because you orders a 22MY spec car is what you must have when it will not be made until late 23 and therefore possibly incorporating 24MY upgrades is acting like a teenager throwing a sulk. I missed out on the 22MY upgrades by less than one month - it is disappointing but hey that’s life. Get over it. 

• Like 1

My dealer sent an email saying they had an invitation only offer this weekend and tonight phoned to see if I was going to book an appointment as they had some special deal, offers etc.  I said as my car was only 20 months old and a new one would take over a year to get here I’d stick with what I’ve got. He replied, let’s see now you have a CHR right, no I’ve got a RAV PHEV I said, “ahhhhhhh, right not going to be able to help you any time soon”. 

• Like 1

They are trying to clear CHR stock ahead of the new model. Before Christmas my dealer was offering deals on the Aygo X - orders for which are now on hold! 

On 2/6/2023 at 10:44 PM, Flatcoat said:

Yes, in part because the supply of components for the 22MY cars will have been used up and I do not believe anyone builds 23MY cars alongside 22MY cars! Last year Toyota did honour some Black Edition orders into 2022 but that was possible because there weren’t any changes elsewhere in the range between 21 and 22MY specs beyond minor lighting upgrades. There may also be legislative requirements behind some changes such they cannot sell 22MY cars after a certain date. I am not sure why you wouldn’t want the later better spec? I also suspect the examples you refer to were not subject to the same lead-in times currently being experienced by Toyota and others. 

Got it thx. Didn't know.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:33 PM, Flatcoat said:

Some have always been better than others, Peugeot, Citroen and MG to name 3 have not had the excessive delivery lead-in times experienced by many/most other manufacturers. The reality is as others have said these are not normal times so insisting that because you orders a 22MY spec car is what you must have when it will not be made until late 23 and therefore possibly incorporating 24MY upgrades is acting like a teenager throwing a sulk. I missed out on the 22MY upgrades by less than one month - it is disappointing but hey that’s life. Get over it. 

Depends upon upgrades, styling, and what might have been lost. For example, I hated the new A series Merc but the one before it I loved. Fortunately that's what I got delivered otherwise I really would have told them stick it. 

11 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Depends upon upgrades, styling, and what might have been lost. For example, I hated the new A series Merc but the one before it I loved. Fortunately that's what I got delivered otherwise I really would have told them stick it. 

But a complete restyle/re-engineered car is a different matter than minor model year changes. There is no suggestion the 24MY RAV4 will change beyond the usual minor tweaks and certainly none of the motoring press have mentioned any styling/facelifts in the pipeline let alone a complete new model. 

On 2/7/2023 at 9:23 PM, ernieb said:

My dealer sent an email saying they had an invitation only offer this weekend and tonight phoned to see if I was going to book an appointment as they had some special deal, offers etc.  I said as my car was only 20 months old and a new one would take over a year to get here I’d stick with what I’ve got. He replied, let’s see now you have a CHR right, no I’ve got a RAV PHEV I said, “ahhhhhhh, right not going to be able to help you any time soon”. 

Ernie.....had the same phone call today regarding my 11 month of old PHEV. Said we have an exciting offer for you sir if you can come to this special event" Told him I would only PEX my car for a new RAV4 PHEV. "Ok sir...as the current lead time is 12+ months we probably can't help you" He also mentioned they were expecting an announcement of an new RAV4 this year but didn't expand on it.

• Like 3